Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of a friend of mine is thinking of building a new gaming PC for..about 300 dollars. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the parts you would have to buy; wouldn't it be more cost effective to bump the price bracket up a little (a couple hundred dollars, say?). I'm not good at building low cost computers:lol:, so how can it be done?

·
ライチュウ|タオ
4,016 Posts
That's the thing though. Is he starting completely from scratch[no monitors, HDDs, graphics, ANYTHING]? Starting from scratch for $300 will barely get you anywhere. The lowest from scratch cost for a decent rig would probably run a guy $500+..

Gonna go look on Newegg for a few.

Keep in mind these are random parts I plucked off which I thought would make for a decent PC starting totally from scratch.

Honestly, assuming he's starting from scratch, he'd be better off picking up a console imo, like a 360.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Get the E5200.....it''s only 63.00 Dollars and can be brought up to 4.0 GHZ... (4.0 GHZ is Very Good for gaming)

Just a suggestion though.......You'll have to do your own homework:cool::cool::cool:

Cheers :D:D:D:D:D

Edit: Remember, it's just a suggestion - thinking of going for it myself (for testing) because it's so cheap and is rreportedly capable of 4.....that's all.....

Thank you for your time.......

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I remember a site a while back did something like this, and for $300, it can be done, but you have to sacrifice a little (they had to use a Celeron L, 1GB of RAM, and a budget video card, didn't include shipping, and still went a few bucks over, by the way). Going with a case and PSU combo is almost required (and it helps moreso if it has free shipping, as shipping on cases is alot), but finding one of good quality for cheap isn't easy. Forget advanced motherboards for good overclocking. Forget faster RAM for high overclocking as well. Forget aftermarket heatsinks (if you aren't overclocking much, the stock Intel one is fine though). Forget beefy PSUs for future upgrades. Forget high end video cards. All of this should be a given. In other words, it'll work decently, but it won't have much of a future for upgrades. Just remember that when you go to want to upgrade it down the line, but it will work and play games decently.

If you need a monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and OS, forget it, it can't be done. Even without, it's not easy. Also, does said budget include shipping? That will hurt it even more, especially in this day and times.

$250 for a gaming system? You'd need a budget of about $400 (~$350 minus shipping) at absolute minimum to really do this, and even then it's not fully possible really. $500 minimum I'd say, including shipping, but only for the system (no monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, or OS).

Here's the best I could do. I'm assuming this is in the U.S., so I used Newegg. It'd probably be better to go AMD with such tight restraints, but I'll do Intel.

Case + PSU ($89.99 w/ free shipping)
Newegg.com - Antec NSK4480B Black 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Computer Cases

Motherboard ($84.99 or $52.99)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (The DS3L is currently out of stock, but this appears to be the same thing, plus a measly bit, for a measly bit more, so it's about the same thing in the end)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (I've used a similar motherboard that was almost the same thing, and it worked okay a overclocking Pentium Dual-core, the E2160 to 3.0GHz, for me, so it should be okay despite the really cheap price)

CPU ($72.99 w/free shipping)
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM ($22.99 w/ free shipping)
Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Video Card ($104.99 w/ free shipping, though it's a 24 hour special so price may go up)
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N863-TR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards (Edit: I just checked Dax's list, and the 9600GT in their list is cheaper, but lacks free shipping, so take your pick, but with the other, not a single part would be over $100)

Hard Drive ($41.99)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Optical Disk Drive ($23.99)
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Optionally, you can toss in a few case fans. There's room for a 80mm (not 120mm) fan at the front. It includes a 120mm rear fan, but I'm not sure of the amount of air moved or noise, plus it looks like it connects directly to the PSU instead of the motherboard, but I can't tell from the pictures. Shipping is high on fans, so I left them out. Add them, or at least an intake fan (I'd recommend at least that), if you choose.

Here's the prices. $441.93 if you go with the first motherboard, and $409.93 if you go with the second. This does not include shipping, as that depends on location, but it helps that the biggest things, the PSU and case, have free shipping, as does the RAM, CPU, and video card. Remember that the video card may go up slightly, but if you stretch you budget to ~$450-$500 as I initially guessed, it appears you'd be good to go, but remember, the system is really limited, and has little room for the future and upgrades. You'd likely need a new PSU for a video card, and so on. Still, this even surprises me. Most of it even comes with free shipping, so for ~$425 after shipping, you can have a decent, but limited, gaming system.

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone. Just to be clear though, this isn't my computer I'm building. And I could easily enough assemble a list of parts myself, I just thought I'd seek other opinions too;).

It seems the only things this guy needs are..
Case
Mobo
Processor
PSU
Video Card
RAM

Everything else he already has (windows, monitor, input devices, hdds, etc.). Also, he doesn't plan on overclocking, so don't recommend a super cheap proc under the assumption it will be oc'd. So far this is his current list...

Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer CS206BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer SOHO Case 480W Power Supply - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78 PRO AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N963-TR GeForce 9600 GSO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
The 9600GSO (which is just the 8800GS renamed) is noticeably weaker than the 9600GT. You're better off spending the extra ~$20 for the step up.

Also, I would not trust that PSU. I know he's on a budget, but it's absolute crap quality. A real PSU would cost more than that case and PSU combined. The one I linked to should be the minimum you're looking at. $45 for each part with free shipping is quite good. It's not a higher wattage model PSU, no, but you won't get high wattage at that price, unless you go with crap quality, and most of those kinds of PSUs are overrated. Should I link to that test Jonny Guru did on crap PSUs to convince him? The results are scary.

I know he's not overclocking, but on a budget like his, don't expect anything more than a "super cheap processor". The E5200 is pretty good anyway (better than that AMD, though it itself isn't bad). My old E2160 at 2.4GHz, 2.7GHz, and 3.0GHz was plenty fast at keeping up with my old E8400 at 3.6GHz and 4.05GHz in LAN games. Also, the motherboards and CPU I linked to will overclock quite well (especially the first motherboard), even if not super far due to the stock cooling, which will then make it wipe the floor with any cheap AMD you'll find.

I don't know much about AMD these days, but the motherboard and CPU seem okay. I had the 667MHz variant of that same RAM, and it was good.

If $300 is really his absolute ceiling, I hate to say it, but you're better off not doing it. It's more of a waste of money to get absolute trash like you're posting than it is to save up a little more. Not needing a HDD and optical drive helps a bit, but still, just buying the cheapest yet highest numbered stuff is a flaw, and it's not a mistake he can afford to make. He may only have $300 to work with, but then that means that $300 has to count, so don't waste it by buying trash stuff. A poor PSU sets the entire rest of the system up for danger.

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A poor PSU sets the entire rest of the system up for danger.
That's exactly what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if it made that much of a difference. Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll just have to tell him to save up a little more money.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Well, most people who know stuff about computers, but not a whole lot, try and do their best by choosing the highest numbered parts with the lowest cost to save money and not spend alot on unnecessary parts, which makes sense and is fine and all, until you figure alot of companies know this and take advantage of the unknowing consumer by putting crap components out that is at low costs. It's especially bad with the PSU sector. This is more than just "you get only what you pay for". Alot of this stuff is either rated higher than it really is (lies), or it's such bad quality that it often goes bad itself, and sometimes even can take other parts out with it, or even cause fires (though that last one is probably rare).

I know he has a budget, and I know he may not like spending $500 when you can appear to get just a bit less for $300. None of us like spending alot, but it's actually more of a waste to gamble with poor quality parts.

Thought the Intel is faster than the AMD, and though the 9600GT is better than the 9600GSO, most of his parts are just fine. It's not the fastest, but it's fine.

It's just the PSU that really needs to be stepped up. If you want a case and PSU combo, what I linked to is about as good as it gets for cheap cost. Otherwise, you'll need to get as PSU and case separately, but then it'll likely cost more, and if the case lacks free shipping, shipping on cases is alot. I'm definitely no Jonny Guru in regards to knowledge on PSUs here, far from it, but I have decent knowledge of PSUs, so if he wants something that's good but cheap, there's either the combo I listed, or I can make a small list of PSUs alone for him to look over and choose from. Just please don't get something that's really cheap but is rated high, because I assure you you'll regret it, someday, in some way.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
As much as I dislike recommending ATi the HD4670 is also a strong possibility for this build.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I suppose I've never met any of these things. It does a great job at gaming, and I've seen the 4670 in practice, and it's a wonderful piece of technology. It stands at the level of a 3850, faster if AA is applied. So it is a cheap alternative to the 9600GT. Maybe if you require any of these niche thingies, it could be considered. Otherwise for gaming you'll be just fine. And in case you're wondering: The Club3d version is surprisingly silent, I've never seen a fan that small that moved air without buzzing. It was a bliss to the ears :)

Anyway, as much as we have brand preferences, fanboyism isn't going to help the guy with advise for his friend. A list of reasons in which cases nVidia would be better would be more informative. I'm curious about it as well btw. Also, I've read quite often that it's not only ATi that has driver problems, I haven't encountered one at all since my 4870 purchase btw, but I did read plenty of nVidia's quality having gone down the last year. I hope they're back on track though.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I recommended the HD4670 Cid...whilst I hate to admit it it's the best performance for the lowest price.

·
Registered
315 Posts
the only drivers problem a have, this if it not other things is some small flashing white square that appear on Mass Effect only happen in the spacestation looking at the most distant place like looking at the trees and having the river below them, it seem to happen more in latest drivers in 7.9 a didn't even noticed and a finished the game.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Anyway, as much as we have brand preferences, fanboyism isn't going to help the guy with advise for his friend. A list of reasons in which cases nVidia would be better would be more informative. I'm curious about it as well btw.
Mmm... okay. :)
For nVidia:

- Significantly better OpenGL support. And I really mean significantly. This will benefit greatly for emulators, specifically IdeaS, No$GBA, Dolphin, and any N64 emulator using Rice Video plugin in OpenGL mode. 'course ATi can do it as well but with quite a few quirks
- Forcing AA or AF works with a lot more games because there are users who actually spend their time fixing that aspect up... :innocent:
- Arguably more video memory on average, lest it's against the HD4800 series, ya?
- More modded drivers, more tools for special fixes, and arguably a larger user base that is willing to modify the cards for whatever reason. We don't see that kinda support for ATi, or at least... no special fixes nor tools. If a problem exists in an ATi driver, we're stuck waiting for ATi to fix it. With nVidia, since they release a driver set like... once in forever, the user base actually moved their arses and made fixes themselves. :p
- Well, obviously PhysX and CUDA. None of such exists for ATi just yet.

There you go. You know I had a HD4870, too, so at least I know what I used. ;p ATi's lineup this time is nice, but I have to admit they need to step up with their drivers. I was waiting... and waiting... and waiting... until I got really fed up. In general, it's not like their gaming performance is bad, nor is the general usage any problem, but if you want to view some demoscenes, or look at technical stuffs, or do emulations, there are mixed results, more disastrous than helpful. Meanwhile, with nVidia, it just works... and since they had more special fixes from users, it's easier to solve a problem when one arises, whereas it's a waiting game with ATi.

And really, nVidia has HEAPS of driver problems. To the point I'd say you can't play a game for longer than... 30 minutes sometimes. But there are always fixes, and tools and a ready user base, which would help you remedy the issue within minutes of googling. ATi... gah... whenever I ran into troubles, I was always the FIRST person to have it. :( Also trying to find special fixes, modified drivers, or tools was in vain because there were almost none. You don't get anything like nHancer which has fixes for various games, for instance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts