Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Games that kicked @$$ but were never properly advertised/Best Underrated Games

Basically I want to start a discussion about games that people rate 9 or 10 out of 10 but never really made a impact in the market. First game I wana talk about is "Beyond Good and Evil". Holy moly that game really was a 10 out of 10 for me. Astounding graphics, indepth storyline, superb music and sounds, and one of the most interesting games I've ever played. I rarely heard or saw anything on this game before I played it. It was originally supposed to be part of a trilogy and the ending leaves it open for it but unfourtunately it never sold well... and I have no idea why. I only heard about this game from the installer of "Prince of Persia". If you want something new and different I suggest checking this game out. It's also really cheap to buy if you can find it!

List of current Games:
- Beyond Good and Evil (PC)
- Klonoa (PSX)
- Freedom Fighters (XBOX, PC)
- Shutoku Battle 01 (??)
- Lodoss Wars (Sega CD)
- Sam & Max (Dos)
- Gothic 1 and 2 (PC)
- Simpson's Hit and Run (PC,??)
- Radiant Silvergun (Sega Saturn)
- NiGHTS (Sega Saturn)
- Burning Rangers (Sega Saturn)
- Guardian Heroes (Sega Saturn)
- Wrath of Denethenor (C-64)
- Bug (Sega Saturn)
- Clockwork Knight (Sega Saturn)
- Grandia 2 (Dreamcast, PC) Not to sure about this one.
- Tomba/Tombi 1 & 2 (PSX)
- Gun Metal (PC, ??)
- Asterix (Master System)
- Paper Boy 64 (N64)
-* Surge of games to be updated in list soon*

This is the list of games people have mentioned so far. I personally will probably check out one of these older games next time I want a new game instead of dishing out $50-70 for a brand new game (a.k.a Half life 2).

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Klonoa for the PSone. Great platformer. It was simple but really fun! And looks great on ePSXe :p Yea the game never sold well and is pretty much impossible to find. Luckily I got a copy when it was first released. Anyways great game, if you can get your hands on it.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may look into it once I'm done Skies of Arcadia.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Lodoss Wars on the Sega CD!!! :3

Yours,
-Elly

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
WAs Simpson's Hit and Run popular? I just got the game and I was 'wowed' by it. I didn't expect a "Simpsons" game to be so fun... :)

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
fivefeet8 said:
Radiant Silvergun on the sega Saturn. Amazing shooter. Too bad few got to experience it.
So true. That and just about every other awesome Saturn game (NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Guardian Heroes to name a few, though there are plenty more).

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have yet to find a game that's on par with Guardian Heroes to date (in the same genre). What a game it was...

·
I've Changed
298 Posts
Here's an oldie for your list. Wrath of Denethenor for the C-64. Excellent excellent game. An RPG. But advertising was quite limited and it disappeared quite fast. I have it for my C-64 emu. I loved it and beat it when I had the original.
sx/amiga

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Almost every SEGA Saturn game here, for the Saturn was never really advertised in Germany. They just put it into the stores, but the people didn't care, because no one really knew about it. The only games I really remember seeing on the Saturn were Bug (I even played this one) and Clockwork Knight.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I probably can add a lot of Dreamcast titles to the list including the console itself..... It was never given the attention it deserved here in Holland.
To name one game: Grandia 2!!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
So basically this is just one of those "best underrated games" threads... the thing was, before PSX really, advertising wasn't THAT big of a thing for games. C-64, NES, SNES... sure they were all advertised, but mostly just in gaming magazines, not in any media outside of the "gaming" world. There also wasn't much of an internet community at that time either, which has become such a big deal for game advertising. The only real exceptions I can think of are for some NES titles, but this was at the point when Nintendo had already made a killing, and had a monopoly and could do whatever they wanted - and actually decided to spend some money in advertising to strengthen their chokehold even further... and when the Genesis came out there were those commercials and ads everywhere for "Genesis does what Nintendon't". I mean, of all the awesome games I played for the C-64, NES, SNES, whatever... I remember that advertising didn't really play much of a role at all in the games that I bought.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tomba/Tombi 1 & 2 for PSone.

Excellent mix of adventure/platformer with a mission based objectives. Kinda like Metroid/Castlevania gameplay. Impressive level design and use of 2D/3D graphics.
I really loved those games!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts