Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. When i play somewhat high power games, specificcaly ROSE online and Half-Life2, the game will immediately freeze after a few minitues of playing and im forced to reboot my computer. Here are my specs

Windows XP
Amd athlon 900mhz
Nvidia Geforce fx 5500 w/256 ram w/latest drivers
576 of ddr ram
directx 9.0c

·
Registered
175 Posts
First thoughts..

Virus/adware.. use the free online virus scanners such as housecall, panda.. etc

For adware use Adaware SE by lavasoft.

if that fails you can try reinstalling your graphics card drivers..

it "Could" be your memory causing the problem, but if your computer works fine with everything else (especially other games) then that is not the problem.

and as a last resort, check your cpu temp when you start playing or when you reboot into the bios.. if the temp is getting hot then i believe that is your prob found :nod:.

Please remember that Half life 2 does crash sometimes anyway, not straight away but after a little while of playing.. i think everyone has this problem.. i had it on my old computer, it happens on my new one and it also happens on my dads pc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Use Microsoft Anti Spyware. IMO it's way much better than Adaware. Looking at your system specs there should be no problem playing half life 2. So Like PiggyFlyer said , I also think it's spyware.

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i just ran adaware+microsoft and i got nothing. as for viruses i havent chefcked, but i have norton antivirus on all the time. As for temperatures, how do i check that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, you could check your temps by pressing Delete upon reboot.. you will have to tap it a few times as soon as it starts up to make sure you dont miss it.

When you are in the bios look for Health status.. or something simular, i think every bios tells you the temp somewhere.

if the temp of your cpu is over 50c then i think that is what causes the crashes if i remember correctly

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
new video card + old mobo/CPU = possible problems

it could be a possible AGP conflict somewhere....I believe in the Forceware properties, that you can set the card to run in PCI mode. Set to PCI mode and play in those games for a little while, see if the same thing still happens

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
PiggyFlyer said:
So how can he run PCI mode if he's using an AGP card then?
Well...bascially all that AGP is, is a accelerated PCI slot....The card runs in PCI (unaccelerated) mode if no AGP drivers are present, or if an option is changed. You just can, acceleration requires special drivers....

·
Registered
175 Posts
ok.. But i wouldnt have thought that would be the problem though.. he might just have alot of garbage in his HD or something too.

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i clicked on all the options, but none showed temperature. there was no health option either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts