Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bit of a weird issue. I just downloaded build 3402 of Dolphin, figured I would try giving it a shot. I'm a little new to Wii emulation, but I searched around, without luck, to see if I could find a solution.

I've got the emulator configured to my liking, and no matter what I do I cannot seem to launch a single piece of software, whether it's a full on Wii game like Super Smash Bros. or Klonoa, or any pieces of homebrew. The black render box pops up, and it says it's loading the software, but nothing seems to be happening at all. No activity at all, yet Dolphin seems to be using a large chunk of CPU.

Anybody else run into this issue? Or am I just a simple newbie to this whole thing? :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't really help me too much. I've tried this numerous times, deleting the directory and re-extracting the download, no dice.

I also tried not touching any of the settings, simply trying to load a game. No go on that either, same thing's happening.

·
God of War
214 Posts
add the game to the list menu so it is displayed in the list. Then double click the game when it is listed in the emulator and see if it works.

·
Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Does your hardware meed the minimum requirements? If you are not sure read the following linked thread:

Dolphin Requirements

Also read the following sticky as well, which may offer some useful tips on using Dolphin:

http://forums.ngemu.com/dolphin-discussion/119724-frequently-asked-questions-faq-about-dolphin.html

Other things you may want to try is, upgrading video card drivers, tinkering with graphics options in the configuration, ensuring your game is compatible, use a newer build.

Just a quick note, the DirectX video plugin is broke as of revision 3627. This means that even the old DirectX video plugin can not be used anymore until the developers fix this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reviewed the stickies, and as for hardware requirements, my PC blows them out of the water (bit of a big gamer here).

I managed to fix it, but what's causing the problem is something I still don't know. After digging through log files, testing a number of things (including taking a look at the Wii OS, unencrypted), and then deleting said things, it seemed to have launched. Every build I've used, something about the /user/wii folder it doesn't like.

From the build I stated earlier, after an initial extraction, I went into the /user/wii folder and deleted the contents, then launched the emulator for the first time since the extraction. Works like a charm, and I have no idea how or why the problem was occuring.

Just to make sure, I tried it on a couple other machines. Again, same issue until I deleted the contents of the /user/wii folder. Weird.

·
Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Did you overwrite the sysconf file in /User/Wii/shared2/sys?

When you copy the Wii OS over, you aren't supposed to overwrite this file although I've never heard of it causing this type of problem.

What operating system are you using? If it's Vista, I'd make sure to Dolphin folder has full read/write permissions for your account.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Initially I had overwritten it. However, with the current method, keeping the Wii OS out of the picture, I simply deleted it. The emulator seemed to run fine without it, as compared to before when it simply would not load a game for me.

I'm using Windows 7. Been running in non-admin mode, folder located on the desktop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.