Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've spent the last couple of hours searching through forums to find a resolution for this and the best I could come up with was a reference to a "Gamepad Configurator" with a broken download link that was written 7 years ago to begin with.

I'm using a Sony PS2 controller, DualShock2 as far as I'm aware (or maybe a DualAnalog, the model number on the back is SCPH-10010(A) if that helps), and I'm using ePSXe v1.7.0 (I updated from 1.5.2 because it didn't work on that version either.)

The problem is as mentioned in the title, the directional pad will not work at the same time as the left analog stick. I've tried selecting both DualAnalog and DualShock from the drop-down menu at the top, and every combination of those, the Analog button on the controller, and Full/Positive/Negative in the dropdown boxes under the left stick on the button assignment panel. The controller works fine with Final Fantasy 11. The only other emulators I have are ZSNES, Visual Boy Advance, and FCE Ultra, none of which ever need the analog sticks, so I haven't noticed a problem there. The rest of the buttons all work, and even the ones in question will work fine depending on the status of the analog light. I could even assign them all without messing with the analog button on the older version of ePSXe - they just don't work at the same time while the game is running. (And just to make sure it wasn't a problem with Grandia, I tried it with Harvest Moon too.)

It could very well be something stupid that I'm just overlooking, but I can't figure it out or think of anything else to try. Can anyone help with this?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
When you map your controller in the gamepad configuration, you need to do it with analog on. Though as you've stated in your post, you've already tried that.

I'm willing to bet that it's a driver issue with your PSX to USB converter box. If you haven't installed its driver, the windows default driver won't offer analog control and enabling the analog button on the controller just swaps control from the D-pad to the left analog stick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I understand correctly. Are you saying that since the default Windows driver swaps the control from the d-pad to the left stick, I should have had to toggle analog mode on and off to set up all of the button assignments in ePSXe? I didn't need to do that in v1.5.2, I left the analog light on and was able to set up both the d-pad and the left analog stick.

Or are the rules slightly different when the emulator is actually running? I don't remember if I got a disc with this adapter or not, and I've since moved so if I did it's probably buried. I'll check for it in any case, and see if I can find a driver for this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Well I found the driver disc and installed it. It dropped a configuration utility on my desktop (or the link to one) which let me calibrate the sticks, test button functionality, and test the vibration function. According to it, everything is in order. I even checked it from Control Panel -> Game Controllers and it brought me to the same config utility. (It didn't before, which means I hadn't installed the driver.) I go into the ePSXe gamepad config screen, and everything works exactly as it did before - analog on, I'm able to give both the d-pad and analog sticks their own unique button assignments on the controller. But inside the game it won't recognize the d-pad when the analog light is on, or the analog stick when the analog light is off. (Even if I hit F5 - when the light is red it behaves the same, when it's green then nothing works at all.)

Edit2: Actually, now I'm having problems with my characters running left and right when I'm pressing up and down. (Or left and right. It's the only direction they move.) The bios doesn't exhibit that problem. Urgh, frustrating. >_>

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
When analogue is off, the driver has the dpad set as joy up down left right.

when the analogue is on, the left stick gets set as that and the dpad is set as pov up down left right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... alright, so I went in to check what you were saying, and I pressed the analog button a couple of times (it was lit on the controller every time I tried this, btw), and suddenly the d-pad is registering as POV instead of whatever it was before. (Probably the left stick, like you'd said.)

I guess the problem was that something somewhere wasn't registering the fact that the controller was in the mode that it was saying it was (via the light being on), and toggling it on and off like that while in the key assignment screen caught everything up to speed.

Looks like it really was a stupid oversight after all. Thanks for the help. I probably never would have thought to mess with that analog button if it weren't for you, Squall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.