Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gameman's E5400 Thread..........

Hi, I know a new thread by yours truly is long overdue, if anything to break the tedium or however you spell that "tediom" - i dunno.. Anyways Here Goes...

I'm moving on to my SECOND build, more of an experiment than anything.

My goal here is to see how "cheaply" a 4.0 GHZ system can be built and still be able to play PCSX 2 and Dolphin etc not to mention the major PC Games...

And I figure since this IS the Hardware section, what better place......

Anyways, I'm open to any knowledge you wish to share or "better hardware" for the money that you may know of....My goal is also to get this built for under 700.00 Canadian. If Possible....

So far I've chosen these components, as this is roughly what I can afford, since I'm still recovering from my last purchase....

Anyways here:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHZ
Gigabyte GA EP45 UD3R Motherboard
PC2 6400 2x1 GB 800MHZ Value Ram
Nvidia 9500GT 512 MB DDR2
500 Watt Generic ATX Power Supply
Existing ATX Case from my Celeron Build
8x DVD Burner
160 GB Baracudda Hard Drive
(HDT-S963) Xigmatek High Performance CPU Cooler with 92mm Fan

Thanks

:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahhh!!! I just want something for fooling around with.....This one I would definitely be able to "kill" with insane voltages and it might be fun just to se how long the chip lasts at 1.5 VCORE if that's what it takes...Besides at 160.00 a pop compared to my E8600 at 410.00 a pop, it's abargain, and if I burn it out, I can always run down to the hardware store and grab a new one without having to take out a MORTGAGE......:(:(:(:(:(

Provided it's only the CHIP that dies.....:???::???::???::???::???:

I dunno, I've been researching this all day abd with this particular Motherboard and the UD3P (it's sister) 4.0 GHZ is almost guaranteed.... Thanks to the Multiplier...I'm still looking though.....

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the UD3R and UD3P, The BIOS looks friendly enough...all the necessar options are there.....Including FINE CPU clock control - a little bonus possibly for finer control....

Simpler than my current one.....

And boy, with that 11x Multiplier with even a 350 FSB (which should be possible) I could get to 4.0 Pretty easily....

Now Imagine this....Imagine if If I could get the FSB to 500 with that multiplier...I know the UD3R has been tested with speeds up to 495 MHZ before it won't boot.... So It could be possible......It might even kick the ass of my current system..Although I severely DOUBT it........

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill nuke my e8400 when i get my Q9650 lol
THAT's when you should go for the record......

..you know even if it takes 2.0 Volts as long as it's stable.......

At least I assume that's what you guys aimed for right???:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Gigabyte UD3R and UD3P (Same board minus the dual gigabyte LAN and some Dolby thiff)....has the required voltage settings I would neeed for tinkering with the cPU Speed...although in a little bigger increments than I'm used to.....but you go DOWN in price and that's what you get I guess...

anyways Here...

Oh yeah, it even has the LoadLine Calibration and CPU Skews...This should be a piece of cake.......or at the very least a piece of "something".......Although Daddy may need more "power"........I dunno

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you're refeering to those DFI Lanparty Boards????;););););)

By the way what the Hell exactly is a "Lan Party"??????

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Where a bunch of nerds gather with there usually portable computers to play games and talk together. Women not included.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, seeing as how this is the emulation forum, no comment...but anyways for those of you who had the unfortunate bad luck to miss my post about the CPUZ/CPUID screen shot of one of these just released high clocking baby's here's one...One of only TWO I could find on the entire internet....

I guess it's still relatively new...

And don't worry folks I'm not gonna start posting CPUZ screenshots galore again... I know what I'm doing or aiming for this time......This is just in case you're unfamiliar with Intel's latest launch of dual core chips.......By the way I notice the i7 dual cores were killed before they even launched.....pretty sad..but anyways here you go.....

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dunno mate....I've been told that 600-700 Watts is only necessary with the Big 9800 GT's, GTX's and Radeon 4870's....

On that Extreme forum, I've seen quite a few with only a 500-600 watt system

I guess =Icould go up to 600 Watts, but the guy at the stor said it would work with 500 - especially if it were the 9500GT only......

Or would I need 600+ Watts for the Overclocking??/???:(:(:(:(

One of the technicians in the Service Department of the Store told me I could even use a 400 Watt power supply...

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
The problem is that it's a generic one, they aren't the most consistent in their stability and quality. Overclocked systems are more sensitive to these little things. Just be sure to check how many Amps you have on the 12v rail, because with these no brand things they sometimes put much more on the 5v. So yes, technically a 400W could be fine as well, but it does need to be a rock solid one, not a no brand (Okay, unless lucky with those, I'm not one to gamble that much ;) )

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
An easy way to tell generic psu's is the price......a quality 500w will cost you $160. A generic 500w will cost you $35, sometimes less.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your'e running a QUAD on a budget 550 PSU????? for two years and no "deaths" to speak of????? Amazing....

That certainly is convincing....

What's the name of it????

Cool Power? Enermax???? Best Power????:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hows about a Cool Power 500/550 Watt for around 80.00, instead of 35.00??????

Remember if this thing dies, fine it's just an experiment to see how cheaply I can get 4.0 GHZ.... Even if it only runs for two months:(:(:(:(:(

But I ain't spendin 160.00, that's 50.00 more than my Current one.....Then again......./??????

1 - 20 of 251 Posts