Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anandtech has made a Gamecube review. It's Hardware behind the consoles - part II. It's the same style as part I , which was about the X-Box, for those who didn't read it.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1566

·
Registered
680 Posts
XBOX is POWER :D

yup, although it is powered by a lousy Celeron. But it's powerful compared to the other two (we don't count dc here)

While the PS2's Emotion Engine has a lot of potential, developers have continuously stated that the platform is too difficult to program for. With both GameCube and Xbox using widely available and common CPU platforms, the real competition exists between the Cube's Gekko and the Xbox's Intel CPU.
The clear winner when it comes to audio is the Xbox. While Dolby Pro Logic II support is great, it isn't widely supported by most of today's receivers and lacks many of the benefits of Dolby Digital 5.1.
Both the GameCube and Xbox are clearly superior to the PS2 in terms of the quality of the graphics seen in games available today. The transition from PS2 to GameCube and/or Xbox is a fairly large leap, but going between GameCube and Xbox is a bit less dramatic.
Well, I would like to see if Sony think that they should release PS3 sooner. (and I think they Should - if the don't want the devil to take the game world)

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Sony probably will have to release the PS3 much earlier than they had wanted to because of the recent systems, but that will most likely be because of the GameCube, NOT Micro$oft's Xbox (although Sony certainly doesn't like MS).

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was surprized to find out the 700 mhz celery is more powerful than the 485 mhz powerpc. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Originally posted by Whoever
I was surprized to find out the 700 mhz celery is more powerful than the 485 mhz powerpc. I guess you get what you pay for.
but if adobe ported photoshop to both platforms the gamecube would win. hehe.

anyways, its about the games. not the block of hardware.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Originally posted by Whoever
Ahem.

AnandTech 'assumes' the modified Mobile Celeron based on benchmarks of a vanilla PPC 750. Poor, poor article writing right there. They basically threw a great chip out the window based on benchmarks of another. Not to mention, AT really isn't familiar with PPC architecture, hence I don't see how they can make any decent comparison. Not exactly their fault on that one, but the assumption was just plain poor..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Originally posted by CD

Ahem.

AnandTech 'assumes' the modified Mobile Celeron based on benchmarks of a vanilla PPC 750. Poor, poor article writing right there. They basically threw a great chip out the window based on benchmarks of another. Not to mention, AT really isn't familiar with PPC architecture, hence I don't see how they can make any decent comparison. Not exactly their fault on that one, but the assumption was just plain poor..
I don't know about AT

But Toms hardware made about the similar way of this console thingy article. They wrote it the 'historical' way. From the very first console to today console. Also little comparison between two recent consoles.

And they also mentioned that XBOX is filled with something than the two competitors. (so if they both wrote poor reviews, who else can we trust? they are hardware sites right?)

·
Registered
965 Posts
THG's console article is even worse.

Historical my ass, they skip from 1979 to 1993. Not to mention the misinformation in the console specs, and the loads of errors..

·
Registered
188 Posts
I also thought that particular tomshardware article was weak. Generally they do write good stuff.

As for AT not being up on PowerPC architecture I'm not so sure about that... but he did seem to make a judgement based only on spec sheets not actual benchmarks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts