Next Generation Emulation banner
6,961 - 6,980 of 7,015 Posts
Not a fan of Ratchet and Clank, but it is pretty amazing seeing the stage can be changed so fast without any loading.

GT7 seems will be having RTX. Pragmata seems having RTX too, i am curious about the performance. Horizon looks pretty. RE Village, hmmm, looks like same as the 7, first person view, not my type of games.

Hopefully all of these are stable 60fps + 4k.

Not a fan of Ratchet and Clank, but it is pretty amazing seeing the stage can be changed so fast without any loading.

GT7 seems will be having RTX. Pragmata seems having RTX too, i am curious about the performance. Horizon looks pretty. RE Village, hmmm, looks like same as the 7, first person view, not my type of games.

Hopefully all of these are stable 60fps + 4k.
If you check what its actually needed to get 4k and 60fps you will realize that the PS5 and even the XSX at some degree may not hit that target in many games as raw power is needed from the CPU and GPU. The PS5 is going to be a great 1440p 60fps machine tho. However, there may be some games that hit that target but I highly doubt those with RTX will as the performance hit is quite brutal in many cases.

Many of the games they show at the event look like they could run on a PS4 Pro and I think those can be the ones that actually hit that target. Games like HZD 2 for instance are the ones that I don't think can hit that target without several visual downgrade which won't happen as Sony usually prioritize visuals over frame rate in most of their titles.

If you check what its actually needed to get 4k and 60fps you will realize that the PS5 and even the XSX at some degree may not hit that target in many games as raw power is needed from the CPU and GPU. The PS5 is going to be a great 1440p 60fps machine tho. However, there may be some games that hit that target but I highly doubt those with RTX will as the performance hit is quite brutal in many cases.

Many of the games they show at the event look like they could run on a PS4 Pro and I think those can be the ones that actually hit that target. Games like HZD 2 for instance are the ones that I don't think can hit that target without several visual downgrade which won't happen as Sony usually prioritize visuals over frame rate in most of their titles.
For the Pro to PS5:
The games running at around 1800p@30fps (being checkerboarded to 2160p) should be able to run at native 2160p@60fps.
The games running at around 1600p@30fps might be able to stretch it, but I wouldn't expect too much. A dynamic resolution + 60fps might be an easier solution.

At the beginning after seeing the spec, I was actually expecting the max PS5 could do was 1080p with 60fps + upgraded next Gen visual. But i really wish they can make it 4k + 60fps for most games. Like the GT7, i think it could be 4k + 60fps + RT on.

The earlier PS5 demo they showed were running at 30fps with 2k (dynamic res, averagely 2k), so i hope dynamic res will become a standard (i already noticed this on some games on PS4 Pro, it seems like Monhunt World is dynamic res if i am not mistaken). Dynamic Res + 60fps is what i hope they will aim if newer games can't achieve 4k with 60fps.

For the Pro to PS5:
The games running at around 1800p@30fps (being checkerboarded to 2160p) should be able to run at native 2160p@60fps.
The games running at around 1600p@30fps might be able to stretch it, but I wouldn't expect too much. A dynamic resolution + 60fps might be an easier solution.
At the beginning after seeing the spec, I was actually expecting the max PS5 could do was 1080p with 60fps + upgraded next Gen visual. But i really wish they can make it 4k + 60fps for most games. Like the GT7, i think it could be 4k + 60fps + RT on.

The earlier PS5 demo they showed were running at 30fps with 2k (dynamic res, averagely 2k), so i hope dynamic res will become a standard (i already noticed this on some games on PS4 Pro, it seems like Monhunt World is dynamic res if i am not mistaken). Dynamic Res + 60fps is what i hope they will aim if newer games can't achieve 4k with 60fps.
I agree with what Thanakil said and pretty much believe that's going to be the case. There is also another way to get performance and graphics and that's DLSS. However, unlike MS and their DirectML API for the XSX we haven't heard any word from Sony regarding similar technology or feature.

If a game looks significantly more detailed than it did in the last/current generation, it's not running at a higher FPS.
They can keep the same amount of details we had and add more resolution + more FPS, or they can a ton more details and more resolution but keep the same FPS as before.
This is what made it obvious the new Horizon won't be 60fps, since it looks absolutely amazing, a whole new level higher than the previous game, which was 30fps itself.

I think that's Sony's trump card against the XSX and since Playstation fans like cinematic experience they will continue to provide those and use the extra resources to make games look better graphically. However, if the PS5 for some reasons don't support something like DLSS or XSX DirectML the 30fps and extra resource won't help. As of now there's no word about it and while I praise HZD as one of my games of the generation I personally think is about time to stop playing games at 30 fps.

This coming generation is gonna be interesting in many aspects as consoles aren't that weak compared to PC and have a lot to offer. At the same time we have more aggressive players in the field with different cards. Time will tell where the narrative is going to be the next 5 years.

PREDICTION
I predict the end of "Exclusives" as we know today and slowly but certain Sony is going to release their games on PC eventually. Probably not all or on day one but one by one they will start showing up in the EPIC store I believe.

REASONS
  • Games are far more expensive to create and they may not be able to get their money back let alone profit.
  • Exclusives sale hardware but money isn't in the hardware.
  • PlayStation had a major re-structure and the big bosses now are western business man that do not really care about exclusives but money.
  • Sony's game releases in the EPIC store and their recent approach even though most of their exclusives don't use the Unreal engine.
  • PS Studios is a move to publish their games on other platforms.

@Nightmare I guess I was right:

I think that's Sony's trump card against the XSX and since Playstation fans like cinematic experience they will continue to provide those and use the extra resources to make games look better graphically. However, if the PS5 for some reasons don't support something like DLSS or XSX DirectML the 30fps and extra resource won't help. As of now there's no word about it and while I praise HZD as one of my games of the generation I personally think is about time to stop playing games at 30 fps.

This coming generation is gonna be interesting in many aspects as consoles aren't that weak compared to PC and have a lot to offer. At the same time we have more aggressive players in the field with different cards. Time will tell where the narrative is going to be the next 5 years.

PREDICTION
I predict the end of "Exclusives" as we know today and slowly but certain Sony is going to release their games on PC eventually. Probably not all or on day one but one by one they will start showing up in the EPIC store I believe.

REASONS
  • Games are far more expensive to create and they may not be able to get their money back let alone profit.
  • Exclusives sale hardware but money isn't in the hardware.
  • PlayStation had a major re-structure and the big bosses now are western business man that do not really care about exclusives but money.
  • Sony's game releases in the EPIC store and their recent approach even though most of their exclusives don't use the Unreal engine.
Ya, i watched their youtube video when they were commenting on the games a few days ago.

It is a bad move for me if their AAA or exclusive titles still targeting at 30fps (altho i am very used to 30fps now, but in my heart i keep hoping they would target 60fps with less eye candy). I just hope new TVs that have VRR would make 30fps feels better. For racing games, altho i am not a fan, but i hope they make it 60fps (i am planning to try my hands on racing games with a racing wheel when PS5 is out, and also VR)

For me, the most attractive part of consoles is still the exclusive or timed exclusives, i couldn't wait a few months or a year for games that i want to play to be released on PC. I told myself i only should play FF7R and TLOS2 on PS5 with 60fps, but i couldn't wait and played FF7R, and i have just preordered TLOS2 a few hours ago.

I think i should stop dreaming 60fps on consoles from now on. I have purchase a new house that would be finished developed after 2years+, that time i would setup my gaming room and i want a powerful PC that i can enjoy any game with 4k, 60fps (or more), max settings, and raytracing. (Consoles will be putting in living room, a place which me and my wife always sitting together to play games or watch TV. When my wife plays game, i will sit beside and watch or do other things, and vice versa, this is something a powerful PC can't provide tho.)

Ya, i watched their youtube video when they were commenting on the games a few days ago.

It is a bad move for me if their AAA or exclusive titles still targeting at 30fps (altho i am very used to 30fps now, but in my heart i keep hoping they would target 60fps with less eye candy). I just hope new TVs that have VRR would make 30fps feels better. For racing games, altho i am not a fan, but i hope they make it 60fps (i am planning to try my hands on racing games with a racing wheel when PS5 is out, and also VR)

For me, the most attractive part of consoles is still the exclusive or timed exclusives, i couldn't wait a few months or a year for games that i want to play to be released on PC. I told myself i only should play FF7R and TLOS2 on PS5 with 60fps, but i couldn't wait and played FF7R, and i have just preordered TLOS2 a few hours ago.

I think i should stop dreaming 60fps on consoles from now on. I have purchase a new house that would be finished developed after 2years+, that time i would setup my gaming room and i want a powerful PC that i can enjoy any game with 4k, 60fps (or more), max settings, and raytracing. (Consoles will be putting in living room, a place which me and my wife always sitting together to play games or watch TV. When my wife plays game, i will sit beside and watch or do other things, and vice versa, this is something a powerful PC can't provide tho.)
So far only MS have consistently talked about 60fps and even 120fps but I highly doubt every game will be 60fps and most specially third party games were they have no control.

I have a dedicated room for my PC and is great I can tell you. PC can be expensive though but if you can afford a good gaming PC you will be able to push fps higher which is the beauty of the platform.

That being said nextgen is gonna be 30fps PlayStation exclusives for the most part and more 60fps Xbox games.

I think it would be interesting if machine learning upscaling methods like DLSS were used to give a new/better "Performance" option for console games.
For example:
  • Resolution mode: native 4K@30fps.
  • Performance mode: upscaled through machine learning 4K@60fps.

The downside here: we don't know yet what performance will be like for AMD's version of DLSS. Since it's not using dedicated hardware, they're taking power away from the GPU, and I wouldn't expect the gains to be as big as with DLSS. There should still be gains for sure, but it might require greater sacrifices and upscaling from even lower resolutions. It would still be a fun option if they can pull it off.

I think it would be interesting if machine learning upscaling methods like DLSS were used to give a new/better "Performance" option for console games.
For example:
  • Resolution mode: native 4K@30fps.
  • Performance mode: upscaled through machine learning 4K@60fps.
The downside here: we don't know yet what performance will be like for AMD's version of DLSS. Since it's not using dedicated hardware, they're taking power away from the GPU, and I wouldn't expect the gains to be as big as with DLSS. There should still be gains for sure, but it might require greater sacrifices and upscaling from even lower resolutions. It would still be a fun option if they can pull it off.
There have been talks since quite some time about this kind of stuff on the Xbox side but obviously it doesn't take the spot as if say Sony were doing it. In fact there is a video I have seen actually talking about DLSS or better yet DirectML and show the gains. There's also a video about DLSS 2.0 making a better 4k image from a lower resolution one that looks better than real 4k in some scenarios which is insane. To what extent DirectML compares to DLSS 2.0 remains to be seen but is great to know that such a technology is there as DirectML base in DLSS+. As far as I know only RDNA 2 supports that feature which is kinda interesting that Sony hasn't said a single word about it and all their features presented by Cerny are in fact RDNA 1 features.

From DF:
Face Eyebrow Nose Skin Eye

Black Photograph Snapshot Light Darkness

Here is one about VRS and its benefits for the XSX.

Here is one of the DirectML videos:

There have been talks since quite some time about this kind of stuff on the Xbox side but obviously it doesn't take the spot as if say Sony were doing it. In fact there is a video I have seen actually talking about DLSS or better yet DirectML and show the gains. There's also a video about DLSS 2.0 making a better 4k image from a lower resolution one that looks better than real 4k in some scenarios which is insane. To what extent DirectML compares to DLSS 2.0 remains to be seen but is great to know that such a technology is there as DirectML base in DLSS+. As far as I know only RDNA 2 supports that feature which is kinda interesting that Sony hasn't said a single word about it and all their features presented by Cerny are in fact RDNA 1 features.
I'm not sure it's limited to RDNA 2, since AMD's version is said to make use of 4 and 8 bits integers, which is already available in their cards afaik. There's even a feature currently available in their drivers where you can use DirectML to improve screenshots and videos. I believe it would even be possible to run DirectML on cards without "support" for it, it would simply be slower, since they're trying to use 4 and 8 bits in a clever way to reduce the impact on performance.

Hardware support for ray tracing isn't available in RDNA 1, so we do know they have features not available to RDNA 1.
Cerny also talked about their feature requests (when working with AMD on the PS5) being included in RDNA 2, and AMD even have the PS5 logo on their RDNA2 website.
"RDNA 2 architecture is the foundation for next-generation PC gaming graphics, the highly anticipated PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles."

I have yet to see compelling evidence that the PS5 isn't using RDNA 2. Sony is using features from it, AMD says they're using it, I don't see why this theory persists.

I'm not sure it's limited to RDNA 2, since AMD's version is said to make use of 4 and 8 bits integers, which is already available in their cards afaik. There's even a feature currently available in their drivers where you can use DirectML to improve screenshots and videos. I believe it would even be possible to run DirectML on cards without "support" for it, it would simply be slower, since they're trying to use 4 and 8 bits in a clever way to reduce the impact on performance.

Hardware support for ray tracing isn't available in RDNA 1, so we do know they have features not available to RDNA 1.
Cerny also talked about their feature requests (when working with AMD on the PS5) being included in RDNA 2, and AMD even have the PS5 logo on their RDNA2 website.
"RDNA 2 architecture is the foundation for next-generation PC gaming graphics, the highly anticipated PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles."

I have yet to see compelling evidence that the PS5 isn't using RDNA 2. Sony is using features from it, AMD says they're using it, I don't see why this theory persists.
Console makers always use heavy modified hardware so its always hard if not impossible to tell. Whatever the case may be Sony right now is the only one not saying a single word regarding such a API and technology but instead is a heavy focus on the SSD which is interesting as I agree they may have the hardware. I personally think is the way to go just as the DLSS video said and hope more devs use it to push higher framerates in games without having to sacrifice graphics.

6,961 - 6,980 of 7,015 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.