Next Generation Emulation banner

6861 - 6880 of 6908 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Square Enix and Platinum Games unite to bring Babylon's Fall to PS4 and Steam.

Resident Evil 3 + Resistance

Kingdom Hearts 3 DLC

DREAMS, a "game creation tools" game

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Project Scarlett is now called Xbox Series X and is coming holidays 2020.
I'm worried MS might be making the same mistake Nintendo did when naming the Wii U. People didn't realize the Wii U and the Wii were separate gens. They believed the Wii U was an accessory or an alternative to the Wii. I'm worried something similar might happen with the Xbox One X and the Xbox Series X.
Thankfully, it is compatible with Xbox One games (as expected), so the confusion shouldn't lead to angry gamers buying games for one console and realizing it doesn't play on another (similar to the Wii debacle).

Hellblade 2:

Godfall coming to PS5 holidays 2020:

New FF7 trailer:

No More Heroes 3:

Bravely Default 2 coming to the Switch (NICE!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsjTKIt3z8A

Weird West is very intriguing to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rQzjVlQUYQ

Ghost of Tsushima coming summer 2020:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbq7BnsQhrw

This is a terrible DND trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXgaEGpfHc

Gears Tactics looks like Xcom and I like that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WENurEOb9pE

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,810 Posts
That trailer was well made and the voice is also available in many chill out songs. Good to see MS at least trying to do better.

As someone who upgraded his PC recently that new Xbox comes as a surprise and it not just look great IMO but is gonna be powerful for a lower price. I think that is one of the points that is going to keep consoles alive from now on as whatever you choose the PS5 or the new Xbox you are going to get a powerful machine for a lower price than PC parts.

We can argue about prices and how we can build a PC that is nearly as powerful for 500 bucks but in reality we don't. PC cases and mostly smaller ones that looks somewhat good are expensive then you have small form factor PSU that increase the price and then you still have to buy the rest. So realistically speaking you can't right now unless you cut a lot of corners. Obviously with the time you get there as price go down and PC keeps moving but at least at launch the next generation is looking good.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
That trailer was well made and the voice is also available in many chill out songs. Good to see MS at least trying to do better.

As someone who upgraded his PC recently that new Xbox comes as a surprise and it not just look great IMO but is gonna be powerful for a lower price. I think that is one of the points that is going to keep consoles alive from now on as whatever you choose the PS5 or the new Xbox you are going to get a powerful machine for a lower price than PC parts.

We can argue about prices and how we can build a PC that is nearly as powerful for 500 bucks but in reality we don't. PC cases and mostly smaller ones that looks somewhat good are expensive then you have small form factor PSU that increase the price and then you still have to buy the rest. So realistically speaking you can't right now unless you cut a lot of corners. Obviously with the time you get there as price go down and PC keeps moving but at least at launch the next generation is looking good.
Consoles are almost always cheaper than building a PC when they first launch, then they slowly lose value. A big reason behind this is that Microsoft and Sony have the habit of selling the early versions of their consoles at a loss. They often start by selling the consoles cheaper than what it costs them to make them. I think Nintendo used to do this before, but stopped with recent (weaker) consoles.

It's important for them to sell as many consoles as possible, so selling them at a loss is worth it. Once the process to make the consoles become better - and as the hardware becomes cheaper to produce - they start to make a profit. Then eventually they also become capable of lowering the price of the console.

But by that point, we can build a whole computer for a similar cost, and we get to benefit from advantages they don't get (such as free online, better backward compatibility, mods).
Some of the cost of building a PC is helped by being able to recycle older parts (a good case, a good PSU, a good CPU cooler) or by selling older hardware to buy new one (could now realistically also be done with consoles, as they're aiming to stay compatible with the current gen). Upgrading a PC is thankfully cheaper than building an entire new PC.

Still, it's 100% true that console at launch are very powerful for a much lower price. For the price of the PS4 (and Pro) at launch, you currently get a Radeon 5700 XT. Which is a good card, but the new consoles are expected to do much better. As far as I know the Xbox One was more expensive until they removed the Kinect, then it was a similar price.
Only thing to be careful of: people sometime also expect consoles to be stronger than they really are. I remember people being CONVINCED the original PS4 and Xbox One would do 4K at 60fps. People truly believed this is what would happen, even after seeing teaser pictures of next-gen games (I remember zoomed in screenshots of Forza in particular).

This time around, we might genuinely get [email protected], but it's best to be careful of the hype.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,810 Posts
Personally am not hyped for upcoming consoles since they are pretty much custom builds PCs locked down by each company. Some people may not want to spend much money building a new PC or dealing with issues PC usually have such as drivers, bugs and many other things so they probably go for a 500 bucks machine and be happy.

The real benefit and something I would like to see in the PC world(which actually is almost impossible due to the nature of PC) is real optimization like in a closed box. We can argue about freedom and many of us choose the freedom of PC because of that but as a developer myself I know the benefits of knowing the hardware you write your code for as you can squeeze out the most and obviously test so much better providing at the end a better experience.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Personally am not hyped about upcoming consoles since they are pretty much custom builds PCs locked down by each company. Some people may not want to spend much money building a new PC or dealing with issues PC usually have such as drivers, bugs and many other things so they probably go for a 500 bucks machine and be happy.

The real benefit and something I would like to see in the PC world(which actually is almost impossible due to the nature of PC) is real optimization like in a closed box. We can argue about freedom and many of us choose the freedom of PC because of that but as a developer myself I know the benefits of knowing the hardware you write your code for as you can squeeze out the most and obviously test so much better providing at the end a better experience.
I think the main benefit of consoles isn't always better optimization, but maybe more equal optimization.
I've noticed PC games having performance far closer to consoles when using similar hardware, even the buggy RDR2 is giving me performance similar to what you'd expect (I have 1.5x times the power of a XOX, with RDR2 giving me around 1.4x time the FPS at similar settings). The issue with PC, from my point of view, is not knowing IF a game will be properly optimized or not.

With consoles, games tend to receive an equal amount of optimization for the console (with a few bad exceptions). PC games tend to be random. Some games have excellent optimization, some have horrible optimization, some launch with horrible optimization but get better over time. Games on consoles are safer for this.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Consoles last several years and don't need upgraded. They don't have windows updates that break games. They have games that aren't on PC. You aren't forced to upgrade a console. You don't have to worry that your video card won't work with specific games. Physical games can be resold/traded/donated/gifted to other people.

Consoles are for poor people like me who can't afford $200 video cards, $300 CPU/Motherboards etc.

I prefer PCs, but I can't afford upgrading that often...

PCs really need replaced/upgraded every 3 years, consoles should last up to 10.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,810 Posts
I think the main benefit of consoles isn't always better optimization, but maybe more equal optimization.
I've noticed PC games having performance far closer to consoles when using similar hardware, even the buggy RDR2 is giving me performance similar to what you'd expect (I have 1.5x times the power of a XOX, with RDR2 giving me around 1.4x time the FPS at similar settings). The issue with PC, from my point of view, is not knowing IF a game will be properly optimized or not.

With consoles, games tend to receive an equal amount of optimization for the console (with a few bad exceptions). PC games tend to be random. Some games have excellent optimization, some have horrible optimization, some launch with horrible optimization but get better over time. Games on consoles are safer for this.
Optimization doesn't always need to be better performance but is one of the aspects. On PC that is what DX12 and Vulkan try to do in order to provide better performance. However, there are other aspects of knowing the hardware can provide for instance certain features in the hardware that you can only do when you can be sure everyone have the exact same. You also have stability as you can better test your code in the target hardware and see how much you can push it to provide a great experience.

Things like that are impossible on PC to a certain degree.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Consoles last several years and don't need upgraded. They don't have windows updates that break games. They have games that aren't on PC. You aren't forced to upgrade a console. You don't have to worry that your video card won't work with specific games. Physical games can be resold/traded/donated/gifted to other people.

Consoles are for poor people like me who can't afford $200 video cards, $300 CPU/Motherboards etc.

I prefer PCs, but I can't afford upgrading that often...

PCs really need replaced/upgraded every 3 years, consoles should last up to 10.
Your description of PC gaming is confusing. PCs don't need to be upgraded more or less often than a console if you don't want to. You say you aren't forced to upgrade a console, but you also aren't forced to upgrade your PC. You ARE forced to upgrade your console if you want to play games of the next generation, which is the same with a PC. Both a console and a PC are simply hardware, you don't need to upgrade or replace them more or less often.

I'm not sure what you mean about worrying a game won't work on a graphic card. Maybe this was the case 20 years ago, but I never worry that a game won't be compatible on my graphic card. And while I've seen driver updates (optional) introduce bugs, I'm not sure I've had windows update break my games. I did, on the other hand, hear of console firmware update bricking an entire console. And firmware updates being required to play newer games.
You shouldn't spend 300$ on a motherboard.

Still, your main point seems to be having to upgrade a PC often, but you don't need to upgrade a PC more often than you would a console. Your PC doesn't get weaker over time, the teraflops in your GPU won't go from 6 to 4 after 5 years, it'll remain the way it used to be. If you keep the same console for 5 years, you can also keep the same PC for 5 years.

To offer more details: the AMD 280x and 290x came out in 2013, the same year as the original PS4 and Xbox One. They can apparently play Gears 5 - a game which released this year - at 1080p, 60fps, on high settings. Someone with a computer from 2013 can play new games just like they could back then. That's 6 years with the same graphic card being able to keep playing the same game as on Xbox.

People on this forum upgrade often, but only because we can afford it and are nerds. You don't need to upgrade your PC every 3 years if you don't want to.
I definitely enjoy how easy it is to give away the physical copy of console games. Being able to send them off to my sister when I'm done with them makes them more valuable to me - I get more worth out of them.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,810 Posts
If I understand paratech correctly he actually means that consoles are a affordable way to get hassle-free gaming without to worry about things that plague PC gaming.

Serious PC gaming isn't cheap tho. so I agree with him on that. I choosed to go PC going forward because am a tech nerd and know how to deal with such things but I know many people that would choose a console over PC any day for simplicity sake.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
If I understand paratech correctly he actually means that consoles are a affordable way to get hassle-free gaming without to worry about things that plague PC gaming.

Serious PC gaming isn't cheap tho. so I agree with him on that. I choosed to go PC going forward because am a tech nerd and know how to deal with such things but I know many people that would choose a console over PC any day for simplicity sake.
It's more complex, but it's also not some obscure art. It's not as complex or fragile as it was made to be.
It's not cheap, but serious console gaming isn't cheap either. Buying a Xbox One X, a 4K TV, a yearly Ultimate pass (so you get paid multiplayer + monthly game) isn't cheap.

My main argument is that consoles are more accessible, but PC gaming isn't as difficult or expensive as its made to be.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Actually, I kinda wish PCs were more difficult to use. It might get rid of those darn teenagers on my lawn. Go play your Fornite elsewhere, kids!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
That depends, with PC there have been lots of issues day 1 with games that didn't happen with consoles. There are a lot of AAA companies treating PC like third world gaming. Sometimes the DRM on PC games screw up installs or launchers, garbage you don't need with consoles. Many console games simply require installing to a hard drive rather than downloading sometimes over 100GB of data.

You don't have to use 4K TVs and some people are happy with 1080 gaming. I think some people expect more out of gaming than mainstream gamers and that's fine, but I'm even happy with my 720p TV. I just wish my XBOX 360 could pick up it isn't 1080p.

I prefer PC gaming, but it can be a hassle, some games don't work with certain video cards or have issues with Windows updates, some games are hard to determine the optimal settings where consoles have one setting.

If the DRM server is down, some games can't be played, few games on consoles require always online DRM.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,810 Posts
PC gaming in general is much more accessible and easy to use this days but is still not as simple as console gaming is. The reason is because there is always a trade in as you need some sort of control to kinda force people to do the "right thing" in order to avoid troubles. On PC there are just too many things they have to take in count and you end getting some sort of bloatware in terms of DRM, anti-cheats and all sort of things.

I personally don't think PC gaming will ever be as simple as consoles because of the nature of it but I do believe is going to get better and easier to use. Remember that we are actually a minority today and casuals are the ones bringing the bigger cash to those companies. Obviously casuals do not know nor care about techy things as all they know are their tablets, phones and where to play fornite, Minecraft, PUBG and similar games.

Actually that's affecting gaming in general and is the reason why games are getting dumbed down in order to please such an audience. Even popular games nowadays aren't what they used to be and you don't need to go far but check popular games on consoles. I believe that is also the reason why movie-like games are so popular this days and the so called "gamers" watch games rather than play games for the experience and gameplay as we all used to do back in the day.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Actually that's affecting gaming in general and is the reason why games are getting dumbed down in order to please such an audience. Even popular games nowadays aren't what they used to be and you don't need to go far but check popular games on consoles. I believe that is also the reason why movie-like games are so popular this days and the so called "gamers" watch games rather than play games for the experience and gameplay as we all used to do back in the day.
I dunno about that. Back when storage increased (such as with CDs) we had every developer figure out how to cram movies onto discs.
We have FMV games. Literal movies to play.
We have games start inserting 3D cutscenes everywhere. Final Fantasy was renowned for it, to the point where they made an entire movie.

Even before we had this, we had audio games. Where people would listen to voice actors tell a story with sound effects, and the "gamer" would pick a choice on how the story continued.

"Back in the day" was very similar to today.
And I dunno, but I like games. I'm still very much enjoying video games. I don't really see the benefit of complaining about how video games are nowadays. I'm joking when I complain about dem' kids.
I'm having a lot of fun every year with new games being released, and I'm looking forward to a LOT of games coming in 2020.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,810 Posts
I dunno about that. Back when storage increased (such as with CDs) we had every developer figure out how to cram movies onto discs.
We have FMV games. Literal movies to play.
We have games start inserting 3D cutscenes everywhere. Final Fantasy was renowned for it, to the point where they made an entire movie.

Even before we had this, we had audio games. Where people would listen to voice actors tell a story with sound effects, and the "gamer" would pick a choice on how the story continued.

"Back in the day" was very similar to today.
And I dunno, but I like games. I'm still very much enjoying video games. I don't really see the benefit of complaining about how video games are nowadays. I'm joking when I complain about dem' kids.
I'm having a lot of fun every year with new games being released, and I'm looking forward to a LOT of games coming in 2020.
I think you got me slightly wrong there and there was movies and all sort of things in the past which I loved specially on my Playstation. What am talking about is a different thing as to me it looks like games have to make you cry or need some intensive cinematic experience just to be good(not necessarily talking about Death Stranding here).

The point am talking about is what brought joy to me the past 3 months here and all those countless videos I posted in the other thread. Its more about gaming requiring skills, stories to be told and adventures mixed well with a great gameplay. With all that am not saying all games are the same and that we don't have great games(me look at Sekiro). What I mean is that because we have so many casuals playing games this days and making those companies tons of cash our games are dumbed down.

A good example would be play any modern shooter and then fire up the newly released Halo and you will notice the difference as you actually need proper skills to play that game.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I think many people take their computer knowledge for granted and forget owning a computer doesn't even equate to understanding issues involved with installing software.

There is a reason Microsoft dumbs down Windows every new version and locks control out of users so they won't mess the PC up. Heck, look at how many Steam users fall for scams and lose their accounts. That doesn't happen as much on consoles.

I was meaning $300 for motherboard/CPU and maybe memory.

I'm happy with 1080p land, I don't need 4K, and a lot of people either get small TVs that are 4K or bigger 1080p monitors. Not everyone expects high end stuff.

I've seen enough driver issues on PC games to last a lifetime.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I think you got me slightly wrong there and there was movies and all sort of things in the past which I loved specially on my Playstation. What am talking about is a different thing as to me it looks like games have to make you cry or need some intensive cinematic experience just to be good(not necessarily talking about Death Stranding here).

The point am talking about is what brought joy to me the past 3 months here and all those countless videos I posted in the other thread. Its more about gaming requiring skills, stories to be told and adventures mixed well with a great gameplay. With all that am not saying all games are the same and that we don't have great games(me look at Sekiro). What I mean is that because we have so many casuals playing games this days and making those companies tons of cash our games are dumbed down.

A good example would be play any modern shooter and then fire up the newly released Halo and you will notice the difference as you actually need proper skills to play that game.
Earlier this week I played both Halo Reach, and played the recent Call of Duty for the first time. I found CoD to be more unforgiving of mistakes, as a mistake meant a death, while Halo Reach gave you a cushion to give you a second chance. I would also say that Metro Exodus was far far more unforgiving than Halo Reach, so I can't agree that it's harder or require more skills than any modern shooter.
I think many people take their computer knowledge for granted and forget owning a computer doesn't even equate to understanding issues involved with installing software.

There is a reason Microsoft dumbs down Windows every new version and locks control out of users so they won't mess the PC up. Heck, look at how many Steam users fall for scams and lose their accounts. That doesn't happen as much on consoles.

I was meaning $300 for motherboard/CPU and maybe memory.

I'm happy with 1080p land, I don't need 4K, and a lot of people either get small TVs that are 4K or bigger 1080p monitors. Not everyone expects high end stuff.

I've seen enough driver issues on PC games to last a lifetime.
I would argue that Microsoft dumbing down Windows makes it even more accessible and easier to use.
I know people don't need 4K, my argument was meant to be: if people want to play at maximum quality, they'll spend a lot of money, even if its on console. But if they want a cheap gaming experience, they can do it on PC too. The idea is that both consoles and PCs require a lot of investment for high quality, but both of them can be cheap if you are on a budget.

A recent example for me was a laptop I bought for my GF. I knew she needed one for school and I saw a good laptop on sale. It was priced at the equivalent of 320$ USD.
What surprised me was that the GPU inside it (AMD RX 540) could actually play various modern games at 720p at 30fps. I tested many games, like Outer Worlds (very recent game), Sinking City, Sims 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, and they worked very well.

For 320$ you get not only the hardware, but even a monitor included, since its a laptop. It's the whole experience, with low gaming capabilities, for less than 350$. It was an excellent deal.
What I meant was simply that a true 4K HDR experience will be expensive both on PC and consoles, while a true 720p experience will be cheap on both PC and consoles. Computers are thankfully not required to cost 1000$ anymore.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,810 Posts
Earlier this week I played both Halo Reach, and played the recent Call of Duty for the first time. I found CoD to be more unforgiving of mistakes, as a mistake meant a death, while Halo Reach gave you a cushion to give you a second chance. I would also say that Metro Exodus was far far more unforgiving than Halo Reach, so I can't agree that it's harder or require more skills than any modern shooter.
Metro Exodus is probably one of the very few good shooters this days in my opinion but I was talking about all the assist and stuff added to games. Am not a fan of Halo myself but those older titles actually required good skills to survive. Its not just shooters but even games that doesn't need all that kind of things such as fighters.

Am not looking for anyone to agree tho. but that is how I see many games this days and what it seems to be popular. To me games have become more simple in the sense of help you get with few exceptions of course. I don't need games to cry because of the story or super incredible graphics but more about experiences and gameplay.

For instance Sekiro is for me one of the greatest games of all time even though it doesn't have a deep story that makes people cry nor have some stunning graphics never seen before but it have some of the greatest quests out there and very addicting gameplay mechanics.

6861 - 6880 of 6908 Posts