Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm very new to this emulator thing and I've been having a lot of fun, but I've run into a problem. I've been trying to play xenogears (no, this has NOTHING to do with the two infamous bugs), but I am experiencing lag to the point where my game locks up and can't continue.

My pc is always unaffected, but ePSXe locks up and won't register any keys I press unless I hit escape and reload the game. This happens during transitions, like in/out of houses, in/out of areas, and while battling. The music slows, my character walks hopelessly in place, and the controls freeze up. No error message is displayed. This is RANDOM, sometimes I can go in a house fine, sometimes the same house hates me.

I have tried various frontends like delta and ePSXexecutor, but they don't help much. An image cd of the game didn't help either. I hope my problem is fixable and not too newbish. Thanks for any help and patience, I'll try anything, including new emulators as long as they play xenogears :)

Here's my system info (anything else I need to provide I can):
Emu: ePSXe
RAM: 3GB physical, 4GB virtual
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400
Video plugin: Pete's openGL2 driver 2.9
CD Plugin: ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.7.0

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
post a screenshot of how you have the OGL2 plugin configured.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
enter the VRAM amount manually, do not use the auto-detect setting.

edit- btw are you using the SPU core for your sound plugin? if you are i suggest disabling the plugin FPS limiter altogether and use the internal limiter (toggle with F4) instead, having both running at the same time can cause the two to conflict with each other and make the speed fluctuate (not always though).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoa, I found a thread with some optimal settings i tried, but my battles were still very laggy. I followed both pieces of your advice along with my other changes and even the battles run incredibly smoothly now!

This is a huge difference from what it was before, thanks!!! I can play it and not want to strangle it anymore :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.