Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· " U2K Tha Greate$t "
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using windows 98 se, so i cant use fraps. So i was wondering, what else can i use to take some video when playing my pc games?

Nothing to powerful in requirements yall. Thanks. :thumb:

· Premium Member
6,403 Posts
There is an older version of Fraps available for Windows 98, but it isn't that great compared to the 2000/XP version. You could try using Windows Media Encoder but from my experience, it slows down the computer too much to be useful, although I suppose running Chankast and recording would probably be more stressful than recording a PC game. Regardless of what method you use, it will most likely require a LOT of power to pull off well. When I did the HL2: Lost Coast video on my Athlon XP machine using Fraps, my framerate dropped into the single digits the whole time. You'll definitely get the best performance using a dual core processor, or a P4 with HT, not to mention a fast hard drive.

· Heretic
2,771 Posts
While we're on the topic of FRAPS, is there a way to drop the file size without significantly losing quality? All my attempts have been utterly futile.

· " U2K Tha Greate$t "
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i was using something that didnt require too much power, i just cant seem to find the program at the moment.

Peace.

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Vanit said:
While we're on the topic of FRAPS, is there a way to drop the file size without significantly losing quality? All my attempts have been utterly futile.
nope, not even. putting it to raw AVI sucks too. the only true way to do it is have it take a bmp screenshot for each frame rendered. that's how we do it for CS movies, HUUUGE files when you're doing 90 fps and there is a bmp for each frame.

· Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
n_w95482 said:
I wonder how the hard drive could even keep up with that oO. Is the person recording it using some kind of server with a nice hard drive setup?
gigabit fiber to a san server farm :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.