Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that more advanced gaming consoles like xbox and gamecube and playstation2 are released will the emulation scene continue?
will it be possible to emulate these kind of machines on a pc?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Not passible now..........
PS2 GameCube is most power console in nowaday.
In this moment PC hardware technology is not good enough to emulate it.
But for Xbox case is interesting because it base from PC.
Maybe we can covert it directly to PC

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
PC and Consoles are at about the same level now. We are just getting the GeForce 3 which is capable of PS2 graphics at least. Anyone see the new game from Fishtank? It's graphics are comparible to the PS2. And besides, most emulation needs at least 2x the power of the console your trying to emulate. So unless PCs take a giant leap ahead PCs and Consoles will be at the same level for a while.

·
Registered
358 Posts
ppl are greedy........wait for a better psx emulation then think of any other sys..........look @ the N64 emulation........sucks...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I hope Nividia buy 3Dfx and not throw "Glide" always
I hope next card from Nvidia (maybe name "GeFocre VI) will come with "Glide"

C

·
0 Posts
the GF3 has more power than the PS2 GPU, if I remember correctly..

The GC's and the XGPU outpace it though..

S

·
0 Posts
emulation is everything but dead, but those new systems wont be emulated anytime soon...instead, I'd rather see psx emulation perfected, like snes emulation is now....besides, we don't really have to complain: there are still new games appearing for psx we can now directly play on pc....just look at it: people want dc emulation but it seems the psx will stay even longer.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
woooooowowowowow.......:( :(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Before going any further,lets comeback to PS emulation.....!
From about the last 6 months the emulation world totally sucks.
I am not only talking about the PS emulation but other arcade emulation too.Look at Neogeo...no new release of their emu since about 15 to 16 months.......

Then we come to PS emulation....no new releases from epsxe...Fpse....psinex.......not adripsx (Thank God)

Well it seems that the world is getting very Busy now a days...

Talking about the PS2 emulation....I think it is useless....PS2 has awsome graphics.....so we would better like to play it on TV...rather than PC.........!

The emulation of PS is done because it's graphics totally suck...pure suck on TV.....and rule on PC.....so no need for PS2 emulation,but it sure would be good if it is done......it won't do anybad....except the bad guys at sony would get a bit nauty....;)

Ali
M.L.A

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
first of all, liaqatali, did you completely missed the whole CPS2 thing?

now, for the rest of you. We just past a high point of the emulation scene (which is arguably the release of the first version of bleem!). Before that, emulation always meant "play the last generations of console or arcade games on your PC". In other words, emulation was always been not as good as the current generation video games.
I said bleem! was a high point because for the first time, emulation was _better_ than buying the current console. That was partly due to the abnormally long lasting of the Playstation, and partly due to the PC 3D accelerator boom. I must also point out that before bleem!, there was the Mac VGS, which meant near perfect emulation of the current console. Before that was the UltraHLE, and so on...

That however, is slowing down. We now have the Dreamcast and the PS2 not emulated yet, not to mention more work needed at PSX and N64 emu, as Disturbed said. The way I see it, the emulation scene is slowly returning to its previous normal state.

S

·
0 Posts
it's not that different with psx than with snes though...when the first snes emu's were floating around the system was still selling.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
but it wasn't _better_ than buying the real thing. you see.
obviously, in a certain way, bleem! was better than the real thing.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote from Asz
>PC and Consoles are at about the same level now. We are just getting the GeForce 3 which is capable of PS2 graphics at least. Anyone see the new game from Fishtank? It's graphics are comparible to the PS2. And besides, most emulation needs at least 2x the power of the console your trying to emulate. So unless PCs take a giant leap ahead PCs and Consoles will be at the same level for a while

I disagree with a couple of things here. I'm not trying to single out Asz, just giving other opinions. First the Geforce 3 should be on par with the X-box because the x-box GPU is a modified geforce 3. I guess the one in x-box could be better, but that seems unlikely to me. Secondly the Geforce 3 will blow PS2 out of the water. I have a 2 year old TNT2 Ultra which has been able to make certain PC games(such as Deus Ex) look better than any PS2 game that I've seen, including the new Metal Gear demo. I think the PC and Geforce 3 deserve more credit.

C

·
0 Posts
the XGPU is superior to the GF3...about 1.5 or 2.5 times (forgot what my dev friend told me exactly..) more powerful..

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I herd that the X-Box GPU was at least 1 generation better then the GeForce 3, but thats just what a stupid friend told me. I do agree though, even with my crappy computer I can still run games that look better then some PS2 titles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by CDBuRnOuT
the GF3 has more power than the PS2 GPU, if I remember correctly...
Yes, it does. But that's not the main point. The main difference is the way the PS2 deals with data. Which happens to be very different and much faster than the PC. The PS2's pipelines were engineered for gaming*.

*I could give you a longer and better explanation of the PS2's pipelines, and compare them to the PC's, but I don't want to bore you to death with my techno-babble :D

C

·
0 Posts
This I know, I was just referencing the the GF3 has more power than a PS2's GPU, not saying that one performs better than the other in the real-world, especially since they are entirely different platforms.

No need to bore me with 'techno-babble', I've heard it all before. You don't become friends with a few devs and not pick up a few things ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Even though the consoles are getting more powerful, the PC is proceeding right along side of them. I don't think that emulation will ever go away becuase of one simple fact: How else to keep the old games and systems alive? It's not so much emulating the X-Box or PS2 as soon as it comes out, but rather preserving the great systems of the past and the, still wonderful, games that go with them. The Atari 2600, the Colecovison, the RCA Studio 3, the Commmodore 64, the TRS 80, Pac Man, Pong, Space Invaders, Berserk, and the list goes on and on. Through emulation, our children and their children will still be able to enjoy the great systems and games of the past. This is why I, for one, do not believe emulation will ever die out:)
sincerely,
sx/amiga

1 - 20 of 25 Posts