Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NEW Acer Aspire Revo PC revealed - first NVIDIA Ion nettop | GadgetLite - Latest new technology, digital technology, tech gadgets, electronics gadgets, cool gadget news

I know most hard core gamers could care less about it, but most of 'em are idiots anyways. We all know technology is about making things smaller and more efficient. Something like this should definitely open peoples eyes.

The big thing that perked my interest in it

The system is 5-10 times faster than traditional PCs with integrated graphics. Plus, the Aspire Revo can handle a wide variety of computing needs including high definition video, gaming, sharing digital photos, surfing the web, and other tasks consumers expect from full-size systems.
oO

Holy crap. I don't game much myself these days, and most of the time it's on one of the big 3 consoles anyways, so this thing is quite appealing. Of course it can't replace my desktop in terms of raw power, but if it can do what it says it can... Home theater PCs are literally going to take over the market oO

Can't wait to see what AMDs Fusion is going to bring to the table.

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Just how good is this ION GPU supposed to be, again?

And that is some nice size. If they can keep that thing cooled, then just improve performance a bunch, we got what the next set of PCs will be like.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Ion is supposed to be using the 9400 chipset I believe.

Not too great, but it can get the job done on older classics. I know a friends Asus N10j with a 9300 can play WoW pretty well... I'm kinda skeptical on the whole gaming side of it. Obviously, it uses only passive cooling. Not that the Atom pushes out that much heat, but still... I'm always wary with passive cooling :lol:

·
Registered
235 Posts
The Ion is supposed to be using the 9400 chipset I believe.

Not too great, but it can get the job done on older classics. I know a friends Asus N10j with a 9300 can play WoW pretty well... I'm kinda skeptical on the whole gaming side of it. Obviously, it uses only passive cooling. Not that the Atom pushes out that much heat, but still... I'm always wary with passive cooling :lol:
It's still better than Intel GMA, so they have my vote.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ion has my vote but doesnt everyone just get a video card
The Ion isn't aimed to take over the gaming market of the PC. This is aimed mainly for the Home Theater PC market.

Can't wait to see this in action too. I've been meaning to build a Home Theater PC myself but with this...there might not be a point ;)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
The Ion platform was proposed by nVidia. The prototype uses a Geforce 9400M. It's waaaaaay better for handling true 1080p hidef content as compared to those crappy Intel GMA video chipsets.

As a side note, if nVidia can roll these out, I'll buy one and finally have my HTPC. :p

View attachment 203137

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
As soon as they come out, Rap will get one. naturally, I will have too buy two and hook em together
No, I won't. :p Intel GN40 netbooks would be a better deal than these. In fact, if these things don't get to be in netbook form, they are very much useless in my opinions.

Guru3D also somewhat agrees...

NVIDIA ION platform review | preview

Aside from having a boosted graphics chipset, it's pretty underpowered for the rest of the tasks when HD is concerned. And then when there are stuffs that are not handled using the GPU, the CPU takes the brunt, and you can pretty much imagine how it'll be like. :p

For all intents and purposes, though, it'll be good as a low-cost, low-power Blu-Ray player, and an internet browser. Possibly some simple office works as well as programming works. But aside from that, I see nothing else it can do that justifies the price tag. I mean... for that price tag ($400 - $500), you're better off getting a PS3. Or 2 360 or 2 Wii's. Or better yet, a Mac Mini.

P.S.: Of course I'm not one to talk when I underclock an Eee PC and use it as my main computer... but... honestly, if I'm looking for an upgrade, this ain't it. ;p And did I mention a GTX 295 costs just as much as one of these?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.