Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I didn't get accepted into any schools!:thumb: Yay, another winter with nothing to do and living with social security!:D

F*****g awesome...

Damn, I was pretty close too. Well, I still have a tiny chance of getting into my first choice but only if enough people decide not to go there... only 45 of them!!! And as the number of students getting accepted was only 32... :dead:

I feel like trying drinking right now.......

...though it might be better not to.

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't worry, drinking part was a joke...

And getting a job without first going to vocational school(where I was trying to get in BTW) is pretty damn hard... Not to mention the present recession when even educated people are getting canned.

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
Get a job in the meantime.
You say that at the wrong time! :D

Dunno how Finland was affected by the crisis but it became pretty hard to get even the worst jobs in my country (France).
Almost all of my friends, with nice diplomas or not, can't get anything. We're stuck with unemployment insurance or other various social security stuff.

The bad thing is our goverment is cutting more and more of the welfare state things, resulting in the worst possible scenario: more and more 18-30 years old returning to their parents's...when they can.

Think we're drinking when the booze's so expensive ?
Nah, the internet became the NEET's favourite 'make me forget I have nothing to do' drug. :p

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You say that at the wrong time! :D

Dunno how Finland was affected by the crisis but it became pretty hard to get even the worst jobs in my country (France).
Almost all of my friends, with nice diplomas or not, can't get anything. We're stuck with unemployment insurance or other various social security stuff.

The bad thing is our goverment is cutting more and more of the welfare state things, resulting in the worst possible scenario: more and more 18-30 years old returning to their parents's...when they can.

Think we're drinking when the booze's so expensive ?
Nah, the internet became the NEET's favourite 'make me forget I have nothing to do' drug. :p
Yup, its the same thing here... Hopefully I find some sort of training or something to keep getting social security so I don't have to move back home...

Although my parents would be happy to get me back, my mom so she doesn't have to worry about me, which is in the genes as my grandmother(almost 80yo) is still worried about my mother who is about 50!:lol: And my dad would be happy to get me home and help at fixing the roof or whatever construction project he's made up now...

sigh...

I don't want to go back home!:cry:

:lol:

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
7,193 Posts
What, you can't even get a job at a nearby grocery store?

I got one, and it's not like it's rocket science... But you need to be able to take a lot of **** with a smile though, which can be quite tough sometimes. On several occasions I've had a really strong urge to headslap a few customers :evil::lol:

But yah, not getting into school suck donkey balls.
I went almost a year without anything to do, nothing to wake up to, nothing to do during the day.. Truly sucks.
Now that I have a job, I actually feel like I'm making a difference :D (however small that difference may be :p)
Best advice I can give you, have/find something to do, whatever it may be. Something you enjoy.
It'll make your days a lot better :)

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What, you can't even get a job at a nearby grocery store?

I got one, and it's not like it's rocket science... But you need to be able to take a lot of **** with a smile though, which can be quite tough sometimes. On several occasions I've had a really strong urge to headslap a few customers :evil::lol:
I might be able to get in as a trainee or something, but actual job and getting paid... Not very likely. Especially as I'm not the only one in this situation....

·
lazy shmupper
957 Posts
Ideas for NEETs who have time to kill :

- Make a website or learn everything you need to know about that. Feels good.
- Learn a bit of bookkeeping / bk software.
- Begin to learn some east-asian or east-european or even south-american language.

It's not much but it can make a real difference on a CV, always useful for the future (because everything is worse after school) and this is better done while having free time.
Dunno what kind of school you're aiming at but most lack classes of at least one or two very useful things.
(For instance I went to university to learn languages and trade... and now companies tell me I'm not skilled enough at counting money and doing some interwebs stuff they can't do themselves :mad:)

And if you already know all these and even much more odd things... just start KUNG FU ! (j/k)

PS: and yeah jobs are a must of course ^^ but even without one, as long as you're doing 'something' then you won't fall to the dark side. Moping around one or two years can kill.
(I've noticed something else: my moping pals all tend to get fat, smoke too much, etc...and so do I)

·
Registered
3,106 Posts

- Begin to learn some east-asian or east-european or even south-american language.

It's not much but it can make a real difference on a CV, always useful for the future (because everything is worse after school) and this is better done while having free time.
Dunno what kind of school you're aiming at but most lack classes of at least one or two very useful things.
(For instance I went to university to learn languages and trade... and now companies tell me I'm not skilled enough at counting money and doing some interwebs stuff they can't do themselves :mad:)

And if you already know all these and even much more odd things... just start KUNG FU ! (j/k)

PS: and yeah jobs are a must of course ^^ but even without one, as long as you're doing 'something' then you won't fall to the dark side. Moping around one or two years can kill.
(I've noticed something else: my moping pals all tend to get fat, smoke too much, etc...and so do I)
good list, may i also add, learn to program and put out some apps, (depending what you are planning on doing after words it may help as an example of what you have done and what you can do.) and its also quite fun, but that far from my point here

May i ask out of interest what were you applying for Radix865.

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

...I'll figure something out. I could keep learning Japanese, my friend taught me some so I have sort of a base for it.

And like I said, the drinking part in OP was a joke, I've never done that actually!:laugh: ...Neither have I smoked, and I don't think I ever will.

May i ask out of interest what were you applying for Radix865.
Library and data processing was my first choice... Another was information technology(not sure if I'm using the right word, this is what the translator gave me...), fiddling with computers and the like. There were two others but they didn't even call me to the exams...

·
Drowning in a red state.
11,919 Posts
I'll be getting a certificate for agriculture when I graduate next year so if the economy falls further down to hell I can always just go to an agri school(though I'm aiming at graphic arts). America sucks, I hope Mr. Bush gets crabs after having his arms paralyzed.

Epic retribution.

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Same here in the 'Peg. Our economy is usually rock stable. We don't get huge jumps in economy, but we don't get huge declines either. Plenty of job opportunities and houses/apartments to find too. Real estate signs all over the place.

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Canada is actually one of the places I might think about moving... It has very similar climate when compared to Finland, there are lot of finns living there(I think I read somewhere about this city in Canada where most people are finnish:lol:) and they have a stupid neighbor country that they can always laugh at!:D(Finland has Sweden, Canada has USA)

No offense, my swedish neighbors... But that's how it is here!:D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.