Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
" U2K Tha Greate$t "
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not suggest bullet proof please.

Anyway, do anyone know of a good ftp server where i can have separate folders for each set of games or whatever i am sharing, and only allow access to
"that" folder, instead of allowing people to connect to the server and allow access to everything?
:thumb:

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
What's wrong with good old ftpd?

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
That's kind of the point. Why would you want a user interface on an ftp server?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
If you're running Windows XP Pro, just install IIS and use its FTP service Security is controlled by NT accounts and filesystem ACLs.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard of an FTP server that doesn't allow you to specify some form of security. It sounds to me like you just don't know how to configure it.

·
" U2K Tha Greate$t "
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FLaRe85 said:
If you're running Windows XP Pro, just install IIS and use its FTP service Security is controlled by NT accounts and filesystem ACLs.

It sounds to me like you just don't know how to configure it.
Yea you was right on that one, i had to actually read the help files this time. lol. But i got it working.

And nope, i have windows 98 se, the best OS.

Thanks for the help. :)

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Meh - if you have it running the right software, it will run for years without a reboot. My father used to use it as an ICS box (Internet Connection Sharing). Ran nothing else. Ran for 3 years without a reboot until his DSL modem took over the job. It's piss poor programmers that make machines crash, not necessarily the OS.

As it happens, it appears most of the piss-poor programmers code only for windows.

Then again, having a complete lack of protection on system files doesn't help.

·
" U2K Tha Greate$t "
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been running windows 98 se for years, havent had any major problems at all. The only time when i had major major problems, is when i use to visit sites where i aint suppose to be going hahaa. I had to write 000's to the drive alot, i hated that. Even tho it cleans out the computer, it also deletes everything unless you back it up which i never do.

My wife has windows xp and we only use that to play our new games or new games she brings home, and of course her business. But i use windows 98 se for my business, and so far so good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.