Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a review for AMDs new (relatively) stepping which unofficially supports DDR500. The benchmarks showed small or no gain in performence which as i read happens because the fsb isn't raised to 250mhz as well. So to say 250mhz have to drive on a 200mhz(fsb) road (which causes the emmm trafic).
So inorder to get rid of this bottleneck you have to raise the fsb and then there is a noticable improvement.
Because i have DDR500 i want to lower the multiplier and up the fsb on a 1:1 divider. My problem is:
a. will raising the fsb while lowering the multiplier and keeping stock speed void the warrenty?
b. is it true that overclocking causes the cpu lose percision? if it does i think i'll give up up'ing/oc'ing anything and leave such stuff for a year or so cause this pc is brand new n' all...

thanks in advance :)

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
you might want to look at http://forums.ngemu.com/hardware-discussion/67822-who-said-amds-dont-run-3ghz-d.html

i posted yesterday :p you have to do some research into what cores support high FSB, when you get it, you will have to do the math if you dont want to overclock your processor

say it was 200x10 for 2ghz and you wanted 250mhz FSB, youd need to drop your multiplier to 8 as 250x8 = 2000 :)

processor performance wont be much better, but you should get an increase in memory bandwidth for them more intensive memory apps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.