Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem:
Ape escape (PAL) boots up, gets past the analog check and goes through to the title menu. And then the controls freeze up (Can't select new game or load game). The little dude is chasing the monkey and the music still plays, also when the watchable demo starts (when no buttons are pressed on the title screen) I can press a button and return to the title but I still can't choose anything.

Before you rush to tell me that im a noob I have been working on this problem for about a week and have read posts and tried the following solutions:

1.Press f5 to switch modes
2.Press f4 to enable hack
3.Do both in a violent frenzy of furious fingers on my delicate keyboard
4.Tried psxeven (didn't even boot!!!!!)
5.Tried other emulators (cant remember the names, got from NGEMU, same problem title menu freeze)
6.Tried running from ISO
7.Tried original disc
8.Tried copy
9.Tried frontend (but resets new input plugins to default epsxe plugin)
10.Tried using keyboard
11.Tried switching modes manually on controller
12.Tried configuring my gamepad again (after using regedit to reset config)
13.Tried pressing the stupid screen with my finger (still didn't work)

As you can see I have been a busy little bee and still no success
:hdbash:

I am using a saitek P880 dual analog pad USB connection with these plugins:

epsxe v 1.60
bios scph 7502.bin
petes OpenGL2 driver 2.7 (nice setting)
epsxe SPU core 1.5.2
epsxe CDR WNT/W2k core 1.5.2

PC specs
P4 2.4ghz CPU
512 Mb RAM
Radeon 5600pro 256Mb
Sound Blaster LIVE 24bit sound card

I have tried other games that use the dual analog with the above settings and had no problems at all.

These all work nearly flawlessly if not better than console (good work guys!!!)

-Sheep dog and wolf
-Tenchu
-Tenchu 2
-FF7,8,9
-NBA Live 2002
-Knockout Kings 2000, 2001
-Resident Evil 3
-Jonah Lomu Rugby

Only one solution I have tried worked which is play on console(original disc) and tried backup copy on chipped console (but my consoles laser is screwed thats why I use epsxe). Which leads me to believe that this game will only work with a PSX controller and USB adapter.

Will someone please release me from my frustration and tell me they have Ape escape working with another gamepad (similar to mine) or even better some absolute genius give me a solution.

Thanx.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
tried using peops soft plugin? it's the most compatible, it seems....i'd also recommend using Peops, Xeven's, or Sapu's CDR plugins if you're going to use a CD, as well as switching to Eternal for sound. remember to not load off any save states when you're troubleshooting.

Will someone please release me from my frustration and tell me they have Ape escape working with another gamepad (similar to mine)
i dont understand why that matters. does it work when you dont use your controller?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried all those plugins and still have the same problem.

It doesn't work when I don't use my controller either. Also I thought maybe my gamepad drivers needed an update but they didn't.

i dont understand why that matters. does it work when you dont use your controller?
I have read posts where people have ape escape working and there using a PSX pad with USB converter. SO!.....
It matters because if someone else has Ape escape working with a different gamepad (not PSX converted gamepad) and similiar config settings to me, then there must be something that i'm doing that is causing this problem.

BTW: Nice pics

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I've played the demo just fine with my Logitech Wingman Rumblepad but I don't have a copy of the full game to test it on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read posts where people have had the exact same problem as I have but with no successful answer. The most repeated answer I have seen is 'press f5' but that is not a solution because everyone is getting to the title menu and past the analog check screen so there must be something else causing it.

I am on the verge of using the CD as a beer coaster because of this seemingly silly problem but its a really well made original game so I am reluctant to do it.

Maybe a ppf patch could solve this?

Any ideas on how to write a patch?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
you can make a PPF patch using peops CDR plugin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can make a PPF patch using peops CDR plugin
Isn't that just to use a PPF patch?
I was just wondering what programming software is used.

I am currently studying Java (in N.Z.) and am familiar with C++ also.
So I wouldn't mind having a go at making a patch for this problem. Just need some advice on how I should approach the problem.

I also had a brainwave (while I was in class today) that if I could get my hands on a save state for Ape Escape (saved at the begginning of the game) I could use it to miss out the title menu all together. What I mean is I would boot Ape Escape normally and use the save state when it reaches the title menu. Maybe some kind person out there would be generous enough to email it to me.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
well i dont think a PPF patch would do it, but you asked how, and yes Peops CDR plugin can make the patch.

i wish i had this game to try it out...damn y0. but hey even if i did it'd be NTSC and that wouldnt help you any....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanx anyway :)

I think I'll start a new thread asking for the savestate and if I manage to do it Ill let you know

Its not against the rules to ask for a savestate is it?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
no, save states are perfectly legal....hmm wahtever happened to save state central...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked up save state central and found out the owner/operator of the site uses the ngemu forums. I couldn't find the save I needed so I PM'd him still no reply though .....

Never mind my friend has the NTSC version of Ape Escape so I will try that instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts