Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen that a few people are having this problem, but most can at least run the BIOS. I can't even do that. The engine sticks at the same spot reliably every time, whether its a PSX CD, ISO, or what have you.

System specs are in my sig... all the drivers are current as of last night. Emu engine is ePSXe 1.5.2 (although 1.6 does the same thing) using Pete's OGL2 for video, Eternal 1.4 for SPU, and PEOps for CD/Images.

The plugins used are configured using hushypushy's FF9 config, as that's what I'm trying to get working. Note I did say that the emu freezes for anything, even the BIOS.

This is what the DOS Box says before the emu window locks up when trying BIOS:
" * Running ePSXe emulator version 1.5.2
* Memory handlers init.
* ePSXe: BIOS loaded [C:\Documents and Settings\...\epsxe152\BIOS\scph1001.bin].
* Doing init gpu[0]...
* Gpu open[0]..."

When trying the CD command, this shows up:
" * Running ePSXe emulator version 1.5.2
* Memory handlers init.
* ePSXe: BIOS loaded [C:\Documents and Settings\...\epsxe152\BIOS\scph1001.bin].
* Init cdrom ... ok
* Cdrom open... ok
* NTSC cdrom detected.
* Doing init gpu[0]...
* Gpu open[0]..."

I thought the problem might have been the sound plugin, so I changed it over to a null driver, but the same thing appears every time.

Questions, Comments, Solutions, anyone?

P.S. I've tried running AdriPSX ILE as an alternative, and it starts and works well with all the plugins recommended, but alas the FMVs appear offscreen and the audio for them is choppy as hell. If there's a way to fix that, then I'll be fine.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Let's get it working first, then worry about the right config for your game. Since the last thing on each log is an attempt to open the graphics window, my hypothesis would be that you've got a GPU problem.

Try Peops Soft - according to what I've heard, although it's somewhat lacking in features it has the best hardware compatibility.

A couple of other things: If you're using Pete's OGL2, make sure the internal X resolution is set no higher than 1. A setting of 2 causes crashes with ATI cards. And make sure that the screen resolution is one that your graphics card and monitor both support. In fact, try going windowed instead of fullscreen to see if that makes a difference.

Once we've got your Run BIOS working, we'll see about pushing the envelope on performance.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
dbhankins,

I've tried running windowed before, same results. As a rule, I only use resolutions that the card and monitor like... usually 1024x768.

Didn't know about that internal x res problem. I'll fix that and give it a try.

EDIT:
Tried dropping internal x res to 1 in Pete's OGL2, no results.
Switched GPU plugin to PEOps Soft. Used "fast" settings, but took off frame skip and switched to windowed 640x480 resolution. No results.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Okay, let's try a wipe and restart.
  • Delete this registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Vision Thing
  • Delete your current installation of ePSXe from wherever you've unpacked it to. Remember to copy your BIOS file to somewhere else first.
  • Run the installer I just sent you in a PM via YouSendIt.com. It contains ePSXe 1.6.0, ePSXeCutor, MemManager, and a good selection of plugins. Let it install itself with its defaults. It will put itself in folder C:\Program Files\ePSXe, give you start menu entries, and put a shortcut on your desktop.
  • Copy your BIOS file into this folder: C:\Program Files\ePSXe\BIOS.
  • Run ePSXe via the desktop shortcut
  • Configure your plugins and settings
  • Try Run BIOS
Hopefully, that will get you up and running.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dan

Still doesn't work. I'm starting to wonder if my hardware is compatible... But then again, I just realized that I am using the Omega drivers for my card, not the base Catalyst. You heard anything about problems while using ePSXe with these drivers? Seems like they were what I used the last time I emulated a game, but then again my memory is shaky at times...

hushypushy said:
did you ever try peops soft like was suggested?
See above post. Unless the plugin settings I used were bad for my card or for my drivers, it didn't work.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just noticed a couple of other things, reading your sig...

You're overclocking. When you have problems running something, one of the first things to do is turn off the overclocking.

Also, I see you've got a hyperthreaded processor. You might want to try locking ePSXe to a single CPU. See this thread: http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65084

Finally, PSXeven and sssPSX both seem to be pretty good (though I suspect they're not compatible with as many games as ePSXe). You might want to give them a try and see if they'll run where ePSXe wouldn't.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, after finding out that my computer wasn't overclocked and installing the newest Catalyst drivers, and making sure that ePSXe was still locked to a single thread as before, it still won't function.

I did, however, try out PSXeven. Funny stuff. After a couple times going at it, I got it configured where it runs well, and everything works like it should.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.