Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only way i can use FRAPS without the game slowing down is by enabling frame skipping, which decreases the frame rate noticeably. FRAPS slows the game down from whatever the game typically runs at, to 25fps. From experience, i noticed that NTSC run at 30fps and PAL at 25fps. Hence i cant record NTSC games without slowing the game down or having a crap frame rate. I'm not sure if its due to performance of my machine.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
either your computer is too slow, or you have failed to configure fraps to 60/50fps.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
why is a ffdshow thing coming up.
fraps has its own codec?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yeah that makes no sense to me either. FFDShow shouldn't be popping up at all, seeing as it has nothing to do with Fraps. Even in the latest (Fraps 3.0) I've never had it appear randomly like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It appears as a little icon down in the bottum right like where the volume adjuster is. i click on it and it has heaps of things like deinterlace. i cant recall the rest from memory but it looks as though if you mess with it you can change the quality and performance. later on ill use fraps and abreviate on it.

ill run fraps later right know though im going to do something else

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
it happens when i run a video that ive recorded with fraps in windows movie maker. its got like crop post processing deinterlacing picture properties, the list goes on. it will probably come up for you. fraps also detects the video in movie maker. so that means the movie maker uses opengl or directx?

hang on ill press escape while epsxe is running and fraps is running and see if its there.

yeah it only happens from movie maker. i tried alt tabbing in epsxe but it wasnt there. is that ffdshow some kind of driver that i can utilize to change the settings of the video or something?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
ffdshow is a video filter that can make use of other codecs, or its own internal codecs.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Simple solution.

Don't open Movie Maker while you're recording. Only use Fraps + ePSXe. Once you're finished recording all you want you can encode the videos.

As for overall slow FPS - That's related to your CPU mostly. If your CPU can't handle all of it you'll get massive reduction in FPS while recording.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2.0Ghz dual core. Ive watched FRAPS in windows task manager and it uses about 40% capacity. Is there a way to decrease the amount of cpu epsxe uses, because it runs perfectly but it always uses 50% capacity? Would using peops plugin rather than petes d3d dx6 help?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
this proves the strength of a i7, mine uses 15% of a single core :p

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sorry for the bump.

I actually tested this out a bit further. I've had no problems running Fraps so far, but in Parasite Eve 2 during the FMVs, I noticed the cores jump to 100% usage while Fraps is recording, and while it's at 100% (both of them) it would start to lag and the sound would mess up as well, basically running slow. When the cores were running at 95~97% the lag would be gone.

I haven't checked the CPU usage in other games yet while recording. I know in Syphon Filter I get NO lag at all, and this is also counting

FMVs. Either way, it's definitely CPU related. Looks like it's time to get an i7 CPU next month.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.