Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not stupid. I'm not even a newbe when it comes to setting up emulators. However, there comes a point where you just have to say "I just don't have a ****ing clue how to fix this!", and ask for help. :hdbash:

Ever since last christmass, when I had to repleace my Motherboard, CPU, graphics card, and power supply ALL AT THE SAME TIME ( :cuss2: ), I have been unable to maintain a high framerate in my copy of ePSXe. I managed to get around it by turning on frameskipping. It got the job done, so I didn't try to find the cause.

...and then I finally enter the wonderful world of N64 emulation. My framerate is dropping like a brick. Where should I look for the cause of this problem?

Specs:
cd-burner/cd-rom: Sony CD-RW
processor: Celeron 2GHz
video card: GeForce FX 5200
hard drive: 74.5 GB
ram: 512 MB

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>processor: Celeron 2GHz

The Celerons are severly castrated chips at that clock speed. A 1.1 Duron will most likely outperform your chip.

>video card: GeForce FX 5200

The 5200 is a low end card. If it's a 64-bit version, you are screwed as that's really slow (to the point my of the GF4MX outperforming it in places), and the 128-bit one isn't much better.
You should be able to get playable framerates with that config dependant on the game/config, but the weaknesses in your machine are quite apparent.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a Celeron 1100 with a Geforce 3 and I manage to play games like Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Zelda and Conker just fine! No crackling sounds or big fps slowdown! Really playable!

I'm using multiple emulators and plugins though! It's all about configuration!
(e.g. I'm using 1964 0.8.5 for Perfect Dark and Golden Eye with Azimer 0.40 beta2)

I'm using detonators 21.81 because I have various problems with newer or previous versions (slowdowns, weird characters in pure DOS etc)

Try to find your own best combination!

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>I have a Celeron 1100 with a Geforce 3 and I manage to play games like Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Zelda and Conker just fine!

Your celeron is based off the PIII core, and so is no way near as bad as the P4 Celerons. Also my old geForce 3 was substantialy faster than even a 5200Ultra

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bad news/Not so bad news

Well, I lucked out. It is a 128MB card. That just means that I need to concentrate my search on a new CPU. ...for now. Anyone have a recomendation as to which chip I should look for that won't cause me to get a new motherboard? (Read: Same slot type as the Celeron 2.00GHz)

As far as what driver version I have installed, I ~THINK~ it is "6.14.10.6177". ...there is this other number here under BIOS (4.34.20.23), but I believe the first number is the one you want.

PS: The game I'm trying to play (Since I can't seem to find an actual cart at the local pawn shops) is "Conker's Bad Fur Day". You can see why the problem was so noticable...

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
errr.... I'd change your cpu and moboo for some athlon xp based :) celeron sux... very ...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>Anyone have a recomendation as to which chip I should look for that won't cause me to get a new motherboard? (Read: Same slot type as the Celeron 2.00GHz)

Uh.... you'd have to find out what socket type your celeron uses, but standard P4's of the smae era should work fine.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
¬_¬

Ok... New plan! Know any good sites that do custom systems? My Burner, DVD drive, and RAM chips have been doing fine so far. Same with the sound card and most of the perifrials. (Speakers could stand to be replaced, though.) I looked up AlienWare, and while their selection will probably be giving me wet dreams for the next few nights, I can't "not" select some of the above items, and, quite frankly, I already have a $2,000 loan to pay off for my car, let alone get another one for a PC...

Anyway, just post a link or three, and I'll be out of your hair for a while. ...I hope...

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Find out what motherboard you have and the fastest CPU it can accept. Look for a Socket 478 P4 (the real early Willamette P4's (bleh) used Socket 423 and the newest P4's are available in LGA775).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts