Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Gfx card buffer option for Framebuffer Texture in Pete's GPU plug-ins works really slow on ATI Radeon DDR card. Since games like MGS needs it, does anyone have a solution to this problem?
or a workaround?

thx.

:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nm,

Dumb me ... :(

For Radeon (Gfx is not official supported well)
I must use Emulate VRAM for frame buffer texture and
also turn on full VRAM primitives. duhh ...

This applies to all Radeon cards ...
The drawback is the big performance hit, but if a 1.0GHz PC or higher is used, the fps drop is not overly a concern (I'm running a P4 1.4GHz and I only observed a small fractional fps drop)

thx, all

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It could also be your drivers. If you aren't using the latest try upgrading and seeing what happens then with gfx buffer selected. I believe I've seen people posting here with radeon's and gfx buffer selected that aren't having problems, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running the newest driver for Radeon avaliable, however since I don't trust Windows ... I'll probably do a OS re-install and check the situation again.

From what I can recall, I haven't see any instance of Radeon + gfx setting running well yet. This is mainly due to the fact that ATI texture mapping technique is significantly different from nVidia or Vodoo technology (texture is ATI's main strength actually).

It would be very nice to have a GPU plug-in that utilizes the ATI texture techniques, we should observe a huge graphic quality and speed improvement for ePSXe, if that's the case ... Now I'm just day-dreaming ... :D

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
well if you got slow cpu u can set it to black it should speed up the the game but u will not see any effects

·
Registered
874 Posts
This is mainly due to the fact that ATI texture mapping
technique is significantly different from nVidia or Vodoo technology (texture is
ATI's main strength actually)
Ahem... could you tell me _exactly_ how the texture mapping differs _significantly_ on ATI cards?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm running P4 1.4GHz CPU with ATI Radeon 64 DDR, so the processing speed should not have been an issue ... :confused:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Pete Bernert

Ahem... could you tell me _exactly_ how the texture mapping differs _significantly_ on ATI cards?
Well, the main piece of design ATI did on Radeon cards is its HyperZ texture transfer technology. It uses a different set of memory bandwith for texture data compare to GeForce which allows it to pump out more texture pixels (by throughput). Since most of the game development in PSX heavily relies on texture mapping to objects ... one could see ATI cards are well suited for it.

The Charisma engine employed by ATI Radeon can also be explored further ... etc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:eyes:
An afterthought is that maybe the significant amount of design specialization needed to make a plug-in for ePSXe is not worth the time if not a lot of users want it ... :(

Further more ... To do these advanced stuff, one probably have to look into the Radeon SDK toolkit rather than the standard 3D kits like GL or directX ...

I'm not sure about the compatiblity of doing something like that in Radeon SDK for a general-purpose GPU for ePSXe ...

hmm ... would be interesting to look into that ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts