Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm wondering why so many of the threads here recommend to turn frame skipping off. I've done it in games and it causes a lot of lag when more intensive scenes crop up. For instance in FF7 the menus would lag badly and the music would also slow down, making things very annoying.

I've found that putting frame skipping on helps, but apparantly it ruins -other- things again. I'm not sure which things, which is mostly why I'm posting, so far I've noticed it basically kills combat transitions in FF games.

Why is this, what else does frame skipping affect and is there some other way to get frame skipping that doesn't kill visual features in games?

EDIT: I just noticed another thing, that turning it on looses my combat pointer. *sigh* any way to get frameskipping without things randomly messing up, I'd appreciate to hear about. :/

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think I can answer why frame skipping would hurt battle transitions in turn-based RPGs.

Those transitions are most likely done by taking the previous frame as rendered and modifying it in some way. Everything else is done by rendering data from the 3D engine.

So if you skip frames, updates to the 3D engine are unaffected, but visual effects which rely on modifying the previous output frame will be messed up.

If you're getting a lot of lag without frame skipping, there are a couple of possibilities: first, that your CPU or graphics card are at their limits trying to do PS1 emulation and can't quite keep up, or second that the game you're running has timing problems in the emulator you're running it in (for instance WipEout 1 in ePSXe 1.6.0).

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's not so bad most of the time, but I'd like to use frame skipping without games becoming unplayable. In FF my combat pointers dissapear and in other games god knows what might happen, so do I just have to deal with the speed differences between full and empty scenes or full and empty menus, that kinda thing, or is there any way to use frame skipping that doesn't break gameplay?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
frame skipping inherently loses some visual things because, well, it's skipping frames. like Tifa's limit break will look really weird because it's a circular thing and skipping frames makes it weird.

to be honest there is little use for frame skipping. i think a better solution would be to figure out why your menus are lagging badly and the music is slow, and fix THAT rather than using frame skipping. what are your computer's specs? what settings are you using?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hushypushy, I'm using your FF7 OGL2 config (using 2.7), actually. Figure once I have one game running smoothly I'll be gold, heh. My sound is:

Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41
- Enable Sound
- Enable CDDA Sound
- Enable XA sound

- Directsound, 32 buffer size
- SPUasync mode Smooth

- Update before accessing register: On

The rest for sound is all off or default, but the sound lags with the framerate so I doubt it's that.

My system is running WinXP, 512mb DDRAM, GeForce FX 5200 videocard, and an AMD athlon XP 2000+ CPU.

For FF7 specifically it usually runs fine except randomly during combat, at the beginning of combat, at the end of combat, all menus, and some big scenes, as in the characters are small on screen and there's a lot of scrolling to see all the parts of the current scene. If I turn on frame skipping menus and everything is fine but the first two things I've noticed is lack of combat transition (I can live with that) and messed up combat pointer (cannot live with that :p)

·
Registered
654 Posts
GeForce FX 5200 ain't much of a videocard, to be honest. I had one. You might want to try lower resolutions and turning off anything shader-related before trying frame-skipping.

Some FF7 lags are the result of timing problems in ePSXe 1.6.0...you could try another emulator and see if that helps. I've gotten good results on FF7 with sssPSX.

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The problem occurred even on the lowest settings though. I've tried both 1.6.0 and 1.5.2, both had the same problem.

I guess I'll try sssPSX and see if it's any different. Hadn't occurred to me that a specific game could mess up with an emulator like that.

UPDATE: Well I somehow got it working. I just went through all the options to see what was causing the slowdown and found the culprit even though I somehow missed it the first time through. Thanks for the help everyone! ^^;

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.