Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Emulator user since 2006
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My computer is very old and I have never performed Defragmenting. I've analyzed the hardrive and it says that in C: local disk there's 53% Fragmented files (space - 15 GB) and in D: - 51% (Space - 65 GB). Should I Defragment those files ? It takes too long so I don't want to waste time if that won't speed up my PC for good :drool:.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Yes fragmented files slows down the read and write time of the hard disk thus making the overall computer operation slow.
You should defragment your HDD when you are not using your computer, for eg., when you go to bed or are having dinner. Just leave it for defragmenting and turn off the monitor.

You can either use the built in windows defragmenter or use a third party software like Diskeeper or Tune up

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
first it should be in the software section

second yes Defragmenting increase speed of the pc . Do it right now .

Download this one its faster than windows defragmenter google this AusLogics Disk Defrag

·
Emulator user since 2006
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could those Fragmented files affect Emulation speed ?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
Could those Fragmented files affect Emulation speed ?
If your ripped ISOs are fragmented, then yes, most certainly.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
I've only ever had to defragment once...EVER......you won't notice a spectacular difference...

...and if it's a problem do it at night....

at least that's what I noticed....

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
I'm not saying you shouldn';t do it, especially with almost 50%, but it won't be as if you just got a new chip or something......:lol::lol::lol:

If that's what you're hoping for....

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
ive never really seen any improvement myself from defraging, but ive never let it get to the stage where most of my files are fragmented, so that would probaly explain it

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Same here.....:D:D:D:D

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Defrag would improve overall performance since the data on the HDD would be accessed more easily/quickly and yes it can also affect emulation though it doesnt have any major impact but when PC gaming is involved you could notice a greater improvement.you should just let defrag run when you sleep or are away from the PC for some time.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Using NTFS, fragmentation effecting performance is kept very minimal.

the only thing it really effects is boot times.

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,058 Posts
In my friend's old computer defragmenting help a lot, improved his fps for some games
seeing your spec and deegre of fragmentation i'd say it's worth the time to defragment it. do it.

oh and use these or google jkdefrag

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
PC SPECS :
Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz
1.25 GB of RAM
Geforce 6200 128 MB
I know, it sucks .
I had that same computer, except for 2 GB of Ram and only a GeForce MX 4000....

Defragmentation or fragmentation may not be youre problem...

CHIP may be youre problem....

Remember I had that exact same chip...:(:(:(:(:(

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,455 Posts
Dont use built in defrag it suck use o&o defragment pro instead

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
sure, use O&O if you like MFT corruption.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,455 Posts
Oh never heard or have mtf corruption 4 me it auto start with window and do the job

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
i haven't used it since version 7 when it pwned my entire drive.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
I defragmented my Celeron 2.4 with 2 GB Ram and Windows XP and the result was zip..

Just so you know...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.