Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Premium Member
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*sigh* I miss the good old days. The FPS genre is offering little to keep me interested today. Just looks like the same stuff over and over again with "graphics" the only thing to boast...

I found this old video a while ago. It's titled "Halo before halo". It really got me thinking, "Why is it that old games with old graphics so much more appealing to me? Something about games with low-res textures make me smile. Maybe because it gives me a break from the overrated band wagon crap which I hate so much." Does anyone else feel this way? It doesn't bother me that I hate the over usage of shiny normal mapping, over used HDR lighting, and lack of a decent HUD in many games (i.e. Turok and Killzone2 are good examples). Maybe I just haven't been playing the right games, but Unreal 3 was the last FPS game I really liked playing. Does anyone else feel this way?

EDIT: Forgot the vid. Btw, please don't fill this thread with anti-Halo posts (again) or "those graphics suck!" because those graphics were your gaming past time (or at least mine!) so please don't disrespect it, thanks.

· Registered
202 Posts
I hear you man. It seems like nowadays all you hear about is FPS. Resistance, Killzone, Bioshock, and it is all starting to sound like the same game. You run around and shoot things.

Halo is a great shooter. First of all I love the story since I am into Sci-fi stuff. Also you don't just run around and shoot in Halo you get to drive vehicles and that switches up the gameplay a bit. Other than that I haven't really enjoyed any other shooters since Medal of Honor back in the old PS1 days.

On a related note I am having trouble getting into this console generation as well. I loved Metal Gear solid 4, Halo 3, Lost Odyssey is the best RPG I have played in a while, Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Fallout 3 are epic. I have enjoyed Dead Space and Silent Hill homecoming as well as the usual Tom Clancy shooters like Rainbow Six Vegas and Advanced Warfighter but other than that I haven't really gotten into this generation that much. As a JRPG fan since my earliest gaming days I have only enjoyed Lost Odyssey so far.

I play my PS2 games much more often than the PS3 or Xbox 360 games. Aside from the few games mentioned above I can't get excited about the current video game generation for some reason. I probably even play my old PS1 games more often as well.

· Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
Warning, selfless spam ahead in favor of gaming beyond wal-mart's walls::
Nexuiz
Happy Fragging, the classic way::
-Bunny Hopping
-One Hit kill sniper rifles
-Works on any system
-Takes you back to the good o'l days.

FOR FREE!
...I'd rather have found this game before I bought any Unreal... including 2003.

--
BUT ANYHOO, I know what you mean. Games these days do lack the pungent tang of good gameplay and sportsmanship. Long gone are the days when you could scream ****** at the guy you're shooting at to have him laugh rather than get mad at you. Long gone are the days in which you could accelerate yourself and bunny hop at amazing speed to your destination via the gun that you can shoot against a wall and rebound. So gone are the endless streams of bullets and rockets and almost incomprehensible difficulty and the days when a lan party actually meant beer and not boring talks about how much Macintosh sucks.

· Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
These days everything FPS seems to be about zombies/monsters with some creepy things jumping off ceilings at perfectly scripted moments...basically in order to make it interesting FPS makers feel they need to resort to making horror games (the same as WRPG makers feel everything needs to be dark and gloomy and filled with undead).

This is one reason why I actually have a new appreciation for Crytek...I just finnished playing Crysis and it's actually a genuinely fun game with fairly large variety despite linear game play for an FPS game, granted it's a major resource hog which is not that great but it creates atmosphere without resorting to horror like every other FPS. I am actually now planning on buying Warhead as soon as it comes down in price a little more.
Sorry don't mean to push Crysis...but it's the most recent FPS that's any good...and I am generally not a fan of FPS games, in fact this is the first now WW2 FPS I ever finnished...and the second FPS I ever finnished.

· ヒット激しく速く
26,508 Posts
I agree on the Crysis part though it aint such a graphics hog on low settings (but anything above low makes it a resource hog unfortunatelly). Though il have to add that apart from the Horror exaggeration in FPS that Schumi mentioned, they tend to over exagerate with the WW theme. Damn i wish that a game like Red Faction (the first one not the crap which was out not so long ago) would apear in this distorted times :lol:

· ...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
Hmm... I'm a bit confused. The FPS genre is probably the most stagnant of all. Since their beginnings, they've only ever been about shooting stuff with the best graphics possible. I don't think anything has changed at all.

I remember them coming out like crazy back in the Quake 2 days, and every other one used that engine. They were as overdone as those reality TV competition things are today. There were as many good ones coming out then, as there are now.

· Curiously Cheddar
4,521 Posts
More graphics = More immersion.
More immersion = Better Experience.
Better experience = Reason to buy.

I disagree with everything you said in the OP.

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
One thing I've realized in recent FPS games: they are ****ing slow...

Turn on Quake 3, do a few rounds, then go back to either FEAR 2, COD5, or Crysis, or anything else and you'll notice that the pace is much, much, much, much slower.

Granted... they might want you to appreciate the graphical prowess or it's just a limitation of the graphics engine (fast movements may kill performance after all), but... it takes away that "feel" back then.

And since you aren't moving as fast, the faster aimer wins. That's all there is to it. No special movement skills or anything. Even your targets are ****ing slow so a couple of headshots per round isn't even an issue. :( Couple that with limited room for movements (expected... since you don't even move that fast) and... that just kills it for me.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Personally, FPS is my favorite genre. While some games are pretty crap (MoH Airborne anyone?), there are notable exceptions......Crysis being a more recent one (despite being a severe graphics hog, it still excels at gameplay) and F.E.A.R 2 (though I haven't tried that yet).

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Personally, FPS is my favorite genre. While some games are pretty crap (MoH Airborne anyone?), there are notable exceptions......Crysis being a more recent one (despite being a severe graphics hog, it still excels at gameplay) and F.E.A.R 2 (though I haven't tried that yet).
F.E.A.R. 2 is a surprise fest. :p They just surprise you with twitching bodies, ghostly figures and flickering lights. It's very grotesque and pretty... intimidating at first, but as you see more and more of it, it gets dull... (F.E.A.R. also got dull after the first interval for me) and then the only thing you should be scared of would be the fact that your enemy greatly outnumbers you, and if you don't utilize your super fast senses, you're screwed.

But even then, the slow pace of the game bothers me... a lot... plus the limited movement space doesn't help at all... even though you can see your bullets ripping out wall fragments and such. Crysis was kind of more enjoyable because you had a lot of room in some places.

I mean... take Serious Sam for example. The sniper rifle actually has some uses in that game. What's the point in having a Sniper Rifle if your enemies are so close you can club them to death, right?

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
I dunno the only FPS where I experienced this "lack of space" issue you're referring to was L4D, where there were cramped corridors and rooms where you can easily not use the gun at all and just stab your enemies. FPS games normally aren't like that. Take S.T.A.L.K.E.R for example, both Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky have masses space in most occasions. Even indoors, you're usually in large warehouses and military camps where there's no shortage of room. In fact, there's sometimes just TOO much room! For example when you wanna travel from zone to zone, you can spend up to 15 minutes sprinting before you can get to your destination.

· lazy shmupper
957 Posts
I'm still playing DOOM and its numerous 'fan made' sequels (using Doomsday engine + 3D models). :p

I like 'maze' type FPSes and don't care much about the graphics. Ambiance is very important too.
Can't stand online and arena-type ones...
I want to feel lost, alone and scared if possible when playing an FPS !

One of my all time favourites is Alien vs Predator on the Atari Jaguar. Choppy animation, poor graphics, but it can still scare the **** out of me. :D

· God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
I'm still playing DOOM and its numerous 'fan made' sequels (using Doomsday engine + 3D models). :p

I like 'maze' type FPSes and don't care much about the graphics. Ambiance is very important too.
Can't stand online and arena-type ones...
I want to feel lost, alone and scared if possible when playing an FPS !

One of my all time favourites is Alien vs Predator on the Atari Jaguar. Choppy animation, poor graphics, but it can still scare the **** out of me. :D
you need to play system shock 2.

· Is it a dream...
616 Posts
theres just a certain charm that older fps games have that few new ones do. I still play system shock 2 (was doing so today) and descent3, which is like quake3 but with 6 degrees of movement. if any game will make you sick its that one. wish i got into it back when it was new and people were playing online. looks like it would have been a blast. and its very unique in its level design and gameplay. i'm not saying that all new fps games are bad, but it does seem like they found the formula, and just stick to it over and over.

· Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
11,526 Posts
I agree with you Exodus in that the FPS genre has stagnated for quite a while. A few gems have cropped up, with COD4 with its more involving story elements, Bioshock for its atmosphere and intelligent design, and love it or hate it Left 4 Dead for its back to basics and subtle yet effective design that makes it feel a great deal more than what it actually is.

Larger titles such as F.E.A.R. 2 shoot themselves in the foot by undercooking the elements that make it appealing in the first place (horror for instance) and the whole silent hero treatment (that worked for Half Life) has been done to death and instead of engrossing the player, it alienates them from the story and other characters. Possibly the best integration of the first person with story came in the form of Condemned 2, and although the story was a bit on and off, the way it meshed the playable character with the environment and interaction with other people was staggeringly good. As a whole though, the fps genre is having a little bit of an identity crisis.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.