Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems every game I play run poorly, only been playing Castlevania games.

Order of Ecclesia, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin.

Dawn of Sorrow seemed to run fine but in Julius mode the FPS is 15-20 and goes even lower sometimes. Order of Ecclesia runs at ok, but not excellent speed. Portrait of Ruin is at 15-20 fps in the first room after the dialogue with the priest in the beginning (haven't played further).

The fps does not change if I remove the filter, this is why I think something is wrong and hopefully correctable.

My computer:

intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
gf gtx 295
6 gb ddr3

Settings from the no$gba ini file:

GBA Mode == VGA (poppy bright)
NDS Mode == Nintendo DS (normal 4MB)
Emulation Speed, LCD Refresh == -Realtime, Auto
Reset/Startup Entrypoint == -Start Cartridge directly
Topmost Display Lines == -Display Normal
Sound Output Mode == Digital Stereo
Sound Desired Sample Rate == -Medium (22kHz)
Video Output == 24bit True Color
Emulate BIOS Functions == By real GBA.ROM (accurate)
Solar Sensor Level == Bright Sunlight
GBA Cartridge Backup Media == -Auto
NDS Cartridge Backup Media == EEPROM 64KBytes
Multiboot Port == -None/Disabled
Multiboot Completion == -Auto-close Upload Box
Multiboot Normal/BurstDelays == -Medium/Medium (stable)
Game Screen Filter == None (fast)
Decompressed Help File == Delete after Usage
Create Game Window at == Upper/right of Debug Window
Game Screen Sizing == Free
IIgame_size == normal
Number of Emulated Gameboys == -Single Machine
Link Gamepaks == -Gamepaks in all GBAs
Link Cable Type == -Automatic
Performance Indicator == -Show Timing only if <>100%
Autosave Options == -Nope
Load ROM-Images to == -All machines

Settings from the no$zoomer ini file.

[NO$ZOOMER]
CursorPath=add your full cursor path, example C:\NO$Zoomer2.3.0.1\Stylus.cur
PluginPath=
UseRomIcon=1
UsePkunzip=0
UseCrypt=1
UsePatch=1
CheatDelayTime=2
Language=English (Squall Leonhart)
PosX=143
PosY=44
Zoom=2.5508
PatchFlag=63
AutomaticButton=0
ExePath=D:\Downloads\_emulator\Nintendo DS, GBA\no$gba-w.2.6a\NO$GBA.EXE
Separator=0
SeparatorSize=3
Swap=1
Horizontal=1
FilterIndex=18
Border=0
Hide=1
ExecOpenRom=1
StandardWindow=0
WindowRatio=0.0000
ScreenSaver=1
FrameRate=30
Priority=3
FrontWindow=0
Rendering=0
SeparateWindow=0
SWindowPosX=51
SWindowPosY=22
SWindowZoom=3.0977
Asynchronous=0
Volume=50
Filter=1
AutoFrameSkip=1
LastRomPath=
[JOYPAD]
ButtonA=0
ButtonB=0
ButtonX=0
ButtonY=0
ButtonL=0
ButtonR=0
Speed=1
Control=0

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
In my experience the castlevania games just plain run poorly using no$gba. So nothing you can do that I know of...try DeSmuME, with your system you can easily handle it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
=/

Playing with another emulator isn't really an option, unless it offers the ability to fullscreen the main DS window like no$zoomer does for no$gba. I tried that other emulator for a few minutes, couldn't find a similar option iirc.

Thanks for replying man :)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yeah no such option.

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
Playing with another emulator isn't really an option, unless it offers the ability to fullscreen the main DS window like no$zoomer does for no$gba. I tried that other emulator for a few minutes, couldn't find a similar option iirc.

Thanks for replying man :)
desmume: alt+enter

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
having 2 monitors and having a widescreen mon itor really helps with the fullscreen issues when the emulator screens are set to horz instead of vert in desmume

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
having 2 monitors and having a widescreen mon itor really helps with the fullscreen issues when the emulator screens are set to horz instead of vert in desmume
Ok, good to know. Unfortunately my girlfriend is using my other screen so I've only got one screen at my disposal (42" lcd tv 1080p).

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
Oh, that obvious? *Facepalms*.. However I still can't swap between screen 1 and screen 2 easily like with no$zoomer though, right?
PgDn.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I noticed some time after hehe.. desmume gives even worse frames though.. not sure why how they can lag.. it's like they think the framerate is supposed to be 20 instead of 30 sometimes. Filters do not affect the fps. I can only lower the fps, I can't increase it. I tried changing the refresh rate from 30 to 60 and removing auto frameskipping, then I don't see the lag in the fps, but I feel it nonetheless.

Damn this is frustrating, I want full speed.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
which Castlevania?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
which Castlevania?
Well, all of them, although at the moment Portrait of Ruin. With automatic frameskipping on, and synched rendering the fps drops to 15-23ish often. If I remove auto frameskip and turn on asynched rendering it displays the maximum the fps, but it still laggs at the same times the other settings would.

On another note, drawing magical seals in dawn of sorrow really makes an almost perfect game imperfect :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
In my experience the castlevania games just plain run poorly using no$gba. So nothing you can do that I know of...try DeSmuME, with your system you can easily handle it.
I'm playing Dawn of Sorrow now on NO$GBA, and it couldn't be better. The only issue is that drawing those magic seals at the end of boss battles is less than ideal using the mouse rather than an actual stylus, but obviously there's nothing that can be done about that.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Well, all of them, although at the moment Portrait of Ruin. With automatic frameskipping on, and synched rendering the fps drops to 15-23ish often. If I remove auto frameskip and turn on asynched rendering it displays the maximum the fps, but it still laggs at the same times the other settings would.

On another note, drawing magical seals in dawn of sorrow really makes an almost perfect game imperfect :(
synched rendering? you're talking about the sound?

I just tried on Portrait of Ruin only the first couple of minutes or so and 2 of my cores pretty much get swallowed but I can maintain a steady 50-60FPS according to the counter, especially if I set frame skipping to 2 so I don't see why an i7 would be struggling?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I'm playing Dawn of Sorrow now on NO$GBA, and it couldn't be better. The only issue is that drawing those magic seals at the end of boss battles is less than ideal using the mouse rather than an actual stylus, but obviously there's nothing that can be done about that.
Oh? I admit I never tried on my new system or with No$Zoomer's fixes but on my old system the Castlevania games were some of the poorest running games where I was barely able to maintain half speed whereas in most other games I was getting full speed or close to it.

Guess things changed somewhere along the line

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
The only issue is that drawing those magic seals at the end of boss battles is less than ideal using the mouse rather than an actual stylus, but obviously there's nothing that can be done about that.
If you used desmume you could make a lua script to enter the seals ahead of time and play them back when you need them.

It may be overkill for the problem, but something CAN be done about it.

(there are also OS macro programs..)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Options -> Render -> open gl or directx8, sync or async.

If somebody has a config for the Castlevania games, Portrait of Ruin in particular, I'd very much appricate it.

If you used desmume you could make a lua script to enter the seals ahead of time and play them back when you need them.

It may be overkill for the problem, but something CAN be done about it.

(there are also OS macro programs..)
I've made requests for action replay codes to autodraw them (like in Julius or Boss Rush Mode), however nobody's responded.

Gonna see how well desmume runs Dawn of Sorrow, if it runs as good as it does on no$gba then I'll definately try to make a lua script, whatever that is..

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.