Next Generation Emulation banner

Forum Restructuring - 12/18/07

11K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  TheCloudOfSmoke 
#1 ·
Doing a little housework:

1) Several master forum labels renamed.....'General Discussion' label is now 'Forum & Emulation News Discussion'. 'Off-Topic Discussion' label is now 'General Discussion'.
2) 'Game Discussion' sub-forum renamed to 'Game/Console Discussion'....also moved into master forum 'General Discussion' right under the 'Open Discussion' sub-forum'
3) Console emulation master forums are re-organized based on popularity of the console's emulation scene
4) For convenience and just plain popularity of this master forum, 'General Discussion' has been moved to right under forum and news discussion

#6 ·
actually, its not its existence that looks funny, just how close to the top of the index :p
I know it looks funny ATM....

I might propose merging all the screenshot forums into one....and require users to tag which console it's from....much like what we do in the Game Reviews forum. Handheld and N64 screenshot forums are pretty much inactive right now.

#9 ·
Shouldn't PS2 and handheld discussion be above the other systems since they are currently the most active.

Also it would be insanely cool if a emulation wiki could be setup. Would really help out the noobs when searching for setup help and general information. Right now forum searching takes alot of time and is pretty tedious since there are alot of threads that are eithier very long or dont quite answer the questions fully.

#12 ·
Actually, it wouldnt, and not only for practical reasons, or the fact that people other than gurus have no position of authority to be allowed to edit a knowledge base, which would also remove all the magic from "the wiki" :p
Instead if Wikis how about STICKY Threads/ or section readable by anyone but only postable by the users with 7 red stars(eg.TCoS, H.C.Rikki), Moderators, gurus, pcsx2 team and plug-in authors, but doing the setup help and general information CoolsVilleman suggested.

#13 ·
Instead if Wikis how about STICKY Threads/ or section readable by anyone but only postable by the users with 7 red stars(eg.TCoS, H.C.Rikki), Moderators, gurus, pcsx2 team and plug-in authors, but doing the setup help and general information CoolsVilleman suggested.
The problem with these is that its still a thread which means that either it can only be edited by mods or anyone can reply in which case it will just end up like every other sticky that none of the noobs read anyhow.

I still think a wiki would work just limit who can edit it. As HKR says thats not very wiki'ish but then who cares. At least it would be a heck of a lot easier to find tutorials, walkthroughs, fixes, patches and general emu knowledge.

#14 ·
I still think a wiki would work just limit who can edit it. At least it would be a heck of a lot easier to find tutorials, walkthroughs, fixes, patches and general emu knowledge...
Sounds like a mere html-ization of the most important infos and publishing proeminently (outside of the forum) would suffice :p not really forum restructuration-related btw :p

#16 · (Edited)
Despite everyone ignoring me, i'll keep insiting till the end of time that Site feedback and questions should be relabeled to Site questions and feedback :p
I dont see why.

Sounds like a mere html-ization of the most important infos and publishing proeminently (outside of the forum) would suffice :p not really forum restructuration-related btw :p
Not really because unlike an html-ization of the current information which would suggest a type of updating that is fairly infrequent and by a one or two people a wiki suggest multiple people contributing to the information whenever it comes. I think if they simply limited what people could edit or who could edit it would be a very good system. For example people who have a certain post count or have been contributing on the forums could register for permission. Or you could simply have it like the real wikipedia, though even that is not totally public. I could not simply delete an article and no-one else would be able to see it.

Alternatively it could be that everyone could post stuff but not everyone could commit the stuff that was posted to stay.

#17 ·
I dont see why.
Because many people don't realize that site feedback and questions means site feedback and site questions, not site feedback and generic questions. Hence you often see people using that board for any problem their emulator pops out :p I've been insisting that it should be changed since 2 years ago but no one pays attention to me :cry:

#18 ·
Don't take it personally Proto, you know we don't have the fastest staff. They're cool though, just a tad slow :p

Meanwhile, did they do something about the newsposting? :eek:nthepull

#20 ·
Because many people don't realize that site feedback and questions means site feedback and site questions, not site feedback and generic questions. Hence you often see people using that board for any problem their emulator pops out :p I've been insisting that it should be changed since 2 years ago but no one pays attention to me :cry:
Ah I now understand. I always interpreted it as site feedback and site questions.

#21 · (Edited)
Screenshots section would be neater, moved closer to the bottom of the forum index.
Reordering a few subsections wouldn't be bad either *thinking 'PSX emulation' :p*

Other than that, Proto's point is correct, but that's just a linguistic technicality either way, unless section url gets changed too :p

Slightly offtopic: this link to the General Discussion section gives a "you do not have permission to access this page", despite all the subsections being perfectly accessible? Something got b0rked during the restructuring ?

#25 · (Edited)
other than that, the general discussion section still brings the same error reported earlier, even for guests.
it looks like the General Discussion section is a child forum to Private Discussion ATM....that could explain the permission problems. What's weird is that the General Discussion Section is set up as its own parent forum in the admincp.....I can't figure out how private discussion got into the mix in the first place

#26 ·
it got confusing at first but I find it better not to always scroll all the way down to the popular areas. Good jorb mr. eliot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.