Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know how vsync helps to reduce tearing, and how it can half your framerate. triple buffering allows you to use vsync without the fps penalty. the problem is that developers are too lazy to enable triple buffering, and video card driver cannot force triple buffering in d3d because of whql aggreement.

download the tool from http://www.nonatainment.de/web/DirectXTweaker/All/gemein/tabid/56/Default.aspx
-start directxtweaker
-click new to create a new profile
-point to exe of the game in path, click active
-click modules to load
-select present changer
-enter 2 in back buffer count
-click start game

i believe you need to have .net framework to use this tool. it doesn't work in online games because it will probably be detected as a cheating tool.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
It does not work!!

I downloaded the dirext x tweaker, but after I set Present Changer And

go to start my game an error Pops up saying d3d9_26.dll not found, unable to

load dxtPatch or somthing of the sort. Is there a dll I need to download, that

did'nt come with the program? Anyone that has used this program Please

help, Thanks. BTW I took note of the post date, because of controversy of

People replying to old or dead threads. :thumb:

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
d3d9_26.dll seems to come with some games. try finding a game with it or from windows system32 and copy and paste it into the directory

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
i never turn vsync on, but gonna try that now.
EDIT: theres others cool programs, one that watch your vram usage.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
a couple of problems

On my geforce fx 5500 OC This work's great for doom 3. I can run in 1280 x 1024 resolution with AA and AF off, and while not at a perfect 60 frames per second I get about close to 60 fps, about the 30-45 range.

However there is a problem, when I use it with silent hill 3, 4, and Unreal tournament 2004, It doesn't detect my cards pixel/vertex shading capabilities,
and therefore get an error in games like Silent hill 3 and 4 that require It : This game requires a card with at least 32 mb vram and Pixel/vertex shading
Capabilities, the application will now close, or cannot initialize Direct X, And in UT2004, I get a critical error related to pixel/vertex shading and rendering.

I know my gfx card is capable of Pixel shading 2.0 and have not had any problems running these games without the direct x Tweaker.

Anyone know how to fix this problem So DXTweaker can detect my cards Pixel/vertex shading, so I can run games like silent hill 3, 4 and others with this cool App. Help very much appreciated, Thanks.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
Of course tripple buffering costs some extra memory and stuff, so it's not exactly "free"

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Thanks

kingking 3rd said:
it doesn't work for all games, especially older games. in the case of silent hill 4, it's locked at 30fps in game and 15fps in cut scene no matter what.
I noticed That in silent Hill 4 That is was locked at 30fps, And you're right about the 15 fps during cut-scenes, Is it locked at this, no matter how powerful the card? Or if I get a new sli mobo with a more powerful processor like an AMD 64 x 2 and fit it with dual 7800 gtx's, will it run at a steady 60 fps during the whole game?

Also how did you get DXTweaker to work with Silent hill 4, everytime I try with both silent hill 3 or 4, I get a "your video card must have at least 32 megabytes vram and pixel shading capabilities, Well my card ha 256 mb vram and Pixel Shading 2.0 so that error should not be coming up. Can you tell me how to get sh4 to work with dxtweaker because when I go to start it that says cannot initialize direct X.

Also Thanks KingKing 3rd for posting the d3dx9_26.dll, because I checked on the Dirext x sdk, and it was like over 300 megabytes to download, and with 56k dial up that is murder, I was going to have to wait 90 hours for it to download, and I cannot keep a connection for that long, due to other family in house needing to use the internet, and a very crappy Isp *Cough* Bluefrog *Cough* .

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
This might be a pretty stupid question, but is something like that possible for Direct Draw applications? You know, playing Valkyrie Profile on ePSXe can be a pain in the a$$, because it seems to run nuances slower than 60Hz creating nice big flickering areas on my screen when running fast...

·
2,775 Posts
Yes, of course it's possible in Direct Draw applications. Zsnes even have that as a built-in feature. I'm not sure what this has to do with epsxe though... As far as I know there are 3d-plugins and a software plugin? ( or does the software plugin use DD under windows ? )

Tripple-Buffering just means that instead of swapping between two different buffers with the image, you swap between three different buffers.

If there's any program to force this in Direct Draw I wouldn't know though.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Im gonna try it on World of Warcraft.
its the only d3d game im running here. oh wait, hl2 is d3d too right?

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
or F.E.A.R

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
@ F-3582:
Are you running valkirie Porfile using peops gpu plugin?

·
2,775 Posts
or F.E.A.R
What F.E.A.R is so direct3d !!! you must have been misinformed... it's not like the game with the best 3d-graphics of the year is going to be OpenGL like ever... at least if Carmack is not involved.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.