Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thsi will answer your questions.
it's from a very smart guy who does his research very well.
DONT GET TURNED OFF BYT THE TECH JARGON.

Arse will follow up right away with a layman's explanation so you dont have to be an engineer to understand it.

PS2 VS PC.
http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/2q00/ps2/ps2vspc-1.html

Tech overview of the PS2
http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/1q00/playstation2/ee-1.html

Sony's biggest mistake was crippling the ps2 with a four mb graphics buffer BUT
no x86 cpu can even come close to it's number crunching power.

The xbox just has a superior graphics chip but that tweaked up celeron 700 is no match for the ps2 cpu.

There is a reason why the US military "asked" Japan to restrict exports of the ps2 to not so friendly countries.
That is a fact.

·
Registered
188 Posts
These are great articles. Well written and pretty indepth. They make the PS2 sound quite impressive, but it does seem that its downfall will be a lack of main ram and video ram. This will limit the size of textures, models, level size, and over-all detail and image quality. Still if the programmers can figgure out how to fully utilize all those wacky vector units and all the bandwitdth that is available we should see some amazing games... I can't wait to see what FFXII will look like.

·
I code therefore I am.
412 Posts
bong
Sony's biggest mistake was crippling the ps2 with a four mb graphics buffer BUT
no x86 cpu can even come close to it's number crunching power.

The xbox just has a superior graphics chip but that tweaked up celeron 700 is no match for the ps2 cpu.
I would say AMD's hammer will. It's execution unit is much improved over the P4 and it can handle a lot more instructions per cycle as well.
A P4 2.0ghz might be close also.
AMD Althalon 20xp will be too.. however they will have more latency problems with cache misses. That's why AMD is making the hammer.

Cyb

·
Registered
143 Posts
i went to the moon too! on my home made pocket rocket! :eek:

duh! how did a ps2 topic turn into a discussion about space travel aircrafts? and how did this topic end up in this section of the forum?

bah! u guys sure know alot about today's technology... i'm behind, still trying to make my old fashioned toaster work so i can have toaster stroodles for breakfast :spy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.