Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who as a high-end pc and can play Perfect Dark with smooth framerate and sound please post what plugins you are using as well as the settings. For 2 days, I was able to get it to work fine but now the fps and sound is all messed up.

· Registered
158 Posts
wat spec hav u got.

it runs just about ok on mine. i use

jabos directx7 1.4
jabos directsound 1.4
nrages input 1.61

and all the rest left to default.

i need to find a way to get past the 3rdx elvel as night vision doesnt work.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks man. I don't know exactly what the default settings were, but just knowing what the plugins are spares me a ton of effort.

As for level 3, just turn up the brightness of your monitor until you can just squint out your surroundings. That's how I got thru it.

· Registered
646 Posts
jabos directx7 1.4
jabos directsound 1.4
nrages input 1.61

Athlon Tbird 1.4Ghz at 1.55Ghz
Gforce 2 GTS (219 Core, 385 Memory)
512 Megs of RAM
Sound blaster Live
Windows XP
Detonator 21.83

Full screen 1280x960
window 1024x768

Graphics settings to high and using 4X FSAA

Runs great. The intro slows down a bit but when palying is smooth.

· Registered
646 Posts
Actually all the needs to be done to make games work with mempack is select mempack in the plugin options and unselect raw data. Otherwise you'll have games complaining there is no Memory pack.

· Registered
1,246 Posts
I too, have a 1 ghz comp and didn't think perfect dark would run at a correct speed.
Well, I've tried the options a bit and there's the best settings I've found to run it @ 60fps.
(I have a geforce 2 btw, but it's only affecting resolution and image quality, so try the best resolution for your video card).

rom settings:

_recompiler
_protect memory
_using expansion pack (if you want to play the story mode that is)
_advanced block linking on (the fps gain surprised me, because it's supposedly slower on big cartridges)
_counter factor 1

use TLB (it's required by perfect dark)
atick the register caching and large compile buffer boxes

_disable the sync game to audio option in the audio pannel because it slows down a lot.

as for the gfx configuration it depends on other people's graphic card, so I'ld recommend to read the faq for cfging it (don't tick anything in the "advanced" pannel though; and set the framebuffer emulation to none.)

My most significative performance boost was due to the fact I only let a 16 bits z-buffer (tweak off all w-buffer, 24/32 bits z-buffer etc..)
using a tweaking program.

I think 900 or even 850 mhz comps should be able to reach at least 50fps
(get the pal rom in that case, since perfect dark pal has no additionnal probs than the ntsc one)
You could even try messing w/ the counter factor option (setting it to 2 for example and look if it's OK for you. )

bye

· Registered
7 Posts
Why is PD so hyped up?

Honestly this game sux even for a console. I played it and it can't even compare to todays FPS', yeah I know it's only a console, but why is every1 in the emu world always hyping about this game. This game looks like one of those 1992 shooters.
Instead of getting this to work I think emus should try to perfect other games like DK64.
[email protected]

· Registered
646 Posts
Really. This game ain't that great.

I would say 6.5/10 unless it could be played with the mouse and keyboard like PC FPS. Then it would be 7.5/10

And I see people giving it 9 or 10 out 10

· Registered
82 Posts
Actually Perfect Dark is one of the best N64 games ever made, why don't you try playing it with 3 friends on a console before you go around judging it. And how does it look like a 1992 shooter? Unless you have a time machine or something, the only FPS shooters that look better than PD are Halo, Red Faction, and Half-life, all of which are on 128-bit systems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.