Next Generation Emulation banner

For Cluthu or anyone else!!!!

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  hoyoyo80 
#1 ·
Hello ...
Ok like this, i a have a question about hardware,it is about my friend's cd rom...
My friend's cd rom stop detecting cd rom a few days ago...it only can detect lens cleaner cd after several time of inserting and ejecting cd...but things have gone worse when the cd stop detecting any cd...and the indicator light keep on blinking and ignoring the cd...What may coz this probs.?
My friend and i have the same system ,aspire 6600 so i compared the cd rom device in device manager and found that my cdrom target ID is set to 0(what is target ID actually?) but my friends is set to 1(for information,my friend just formatting his hard drive and this probs. start to occur)...could this be the prob?
Tell me...somebody out there esp. Cluthu!!!

#2 ·
Ok the target id is used by the system to identify each individual device attached to that bus. Assuming that it this is an IDE drive (most likely) there can be 2 devices on each ide channel. The first gets id 0 the second gets an id 1. In other words you mates is the second drive on the cable and yours is the first. Ids are more applicible to SCSI as up to 7 devices can be attached to these and 8 ids (the SCSI adapter takes ID 0)

As for the problem well as it was only detecting it after cleaning it a few times would suggest that the lens was dirty... however it has now stopped entirely. So I think that the lens might have been knocked out of alignment and that cleaning was temporary correcting it. Personally I'd replace it rather than try to fix it but someone else might have a better idea.

#6 ·
well, it might be partly because its a major brand and the device will cost more than a comparable ccd rom.

also, i had an aopen modem and it died in less than 2 years i gave it to a freind who knows how to fix that kind of stuff and he said that the soldering joints werent good at all
so from then on, i have avoided aopen parts like the plague

#8 · (Edited)
I'd have to agree with what was already posted; if after cleaning and a configuration check the drive still fails to respond it's likely the drive is nearing the end of its life. I had a no-name drive that came with the computer when I first bought it that exhibited these same signs, actually.

Unless you're looking for some special features just about any CD-Rom drive should do (unless it's from the likes of Creative. Blah). I bought a $20 40x drive from a local computer show and have been fairly happy with it (it's Taiwanese in manufacture, there's no brand). After I got a new case and swapped out my old motherboard I moved on to a Hitachi 40x/12x DVD-Rom and that too works well.

#10 ·
I have had a similar problem with my crappy CREATIVE drive as Betamax warned us about. Anyways after putting in the CD, it chugs around, tries to read it and spits it out.

I solved the problem by opening the drive and cleaning the lens with a sunglasses cloth. Worked like a charm for about 3 months and now its acting up again.

I guess I'll have to clean the lens every so often, but it will surely die soon. So if you don't have the money right now, the drive is most likely servicable. You might as well try it since you are most likely gonna trash it after buying a new one. So extending the life of the drive and saving a little cash for a few weeks might be an option.

But be careful taking it apart, there were a lot of tiny parts in there and you might forgt where something goes. Proceed with caution. But you really have nothing much to lose. I'd probably use lens paper if you have some handy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.