Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, I use Winamp and have been for about three years. I'm considering a switch to Foobar because... well. I lost my key a long time ago and have no idea what email I had winamp send it to. :drool:

I hardly care, though. Winamp won't play any video you put in it even though it advertises full video support. Not to mention how bloated the damn program is. It's activated now but I want to know if foobar can meet my needs.

My needs:

-MP3 format, wma format, ogg-vorbis format support
-MP3 player support and synchronization
-Full CD-Burning ability
-Full CD-Ripping ability
-The ability to drag-and-drop from folders strait to the library
-Automatic labeling(I have a lot of old bootlegs and rare songs)
-Playlists
-Equalizer

Now, I understand Foobar has the ability to accept third-party plugins which more than likely would solve all of my needs. However; I don't want to have to scour the internet for something that's hardly an annoyance. Mainly; I just want to opt for something free over something that costs money and is overrated.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
-MP3 format, wma format, ogg-vorbis format support
Yes, plus loads others including MusePack, WavPack, FLAC, Speex......
-MP3 player support and synchronization
What sort of player
-Full CD-Burning ability
Requires Nero
-Full CD-Ripping ability
Supports secure-mode CD ripping like EAC, is that good enough? ;)
-The ability to drag-and-drop from folders strait to the library
Yes
-Automatic labeling(I have a lot of old bootlegs and rare songs)
What sort of labelling, automated tagging? There is audioscrobbler components around
-Playlists
That is the cornerstone of foobar2000. You can load up to a million songs without slowdown if you wanted to. Whereas Winamp would have crashed before then trying....
-Equalizer
Included, as well as a polyphase resampler, matrix mixing, etc.

However; I don't want to have to scour the internet for something that's hardly an annoyance.
Every single thing on foobar2000 is:

* Either on the main foobar2000 domain, like kode54's and foosion's websites
* On Download foobar2000 and optional components
* On the foobar2000 forums.

So you have nothing to fear. Beware though, HydrogenAudio is extremely strict on rules. Expect to give full double blind testing results if you want to compare anything about quality. Anything else would result in your posts being binned or you being banned.

foobar2000 however uses "components" instead of plugins. This means that its addons can hook right on into the core whereas Winamp plugins only add functionality to Winamp itself.

And yes, I agree. Winamp is utter bloat. Winamp 2 was at least decent.....:(

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using it now and I love it. Basically it's like winamp only faster, uglier, lighter and free. I've already got Nero so that isn't a problem; I burned my first disk with it today and it turned out great.

I haven't tried connecting my Sandisk Sansa up to it yet to see if it recognizes it so I can sort out the music on it.

Awesome, man.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.