Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, and I could of swore it had a way of doing this. I want to lock some folders and not allow access by myself or any other administrator on the computer without the proper password. Is there any way I can do this in Windows, or with third-party software?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I recommend bestcrypt from Jetico, it's not free though.

You can create encrypted containers with it (you can select type of encryption blowfish/twofish etc also), they can then be mounted and accessed as regular drives with the right password j: k: l: etc. The containers are regular files but when you mount them as drives, they can be protected from deletion (except for administrator).

You can also enable encryption of the swap file, a new key is generated for swapfile at boot time (key stored in ram) so after reboot old data that happened to be stored in swapfile can not be used to track what you've been accessing.

They also have a bcwipe tool, which enables you to rightclick and delete files and folders and wipe them into oblivion (with 7-pass department of defense if you so like). You can also set up schemes that will be wiped at boot or at a specific time, clean recently used files/browser history, registry items/MRU lists.

I highly recommend this, been using it for a few years and haven't had any problems with my encrypted containers.

They also have alot of info on their site regarding encryption.

Available for windows and linux:
http://www.jetico.com/

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
You can do it in windows XP by default aswell, but it really sucks, it takes forever to encrypt something, and it makes the system unstable etc etc ( atleast this is what happend to me )

So I guess Jetico etc is a much better choice.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah I read a little about ntfs encyption in my windows 2000 book, I don't know if that is what you are referring to. NTFS encryption seems complicated and less secure, and when you are moving files around, backing up etc it becomes really messy to handle.

I like bestcrypt, you can put containers (and software if you want to install) on your portable mp3 player and take with you. :)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
He could also upgrade to WindowsXP Pro and use NTFS permissions to deny users access to folders using Users/Groups. Of course, thats a pricy alternative :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts