Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if there was a way to get the FMV's on the ePSXe to come out as clear as they do when playing regularly on a television? The reason I ask is due to me liking screen captures and whatnot... was looking around the 'net the other day for other people's shorts from the game... and I found out.. that wow.. their pictures are so SHARP... so CLEAR... so... not like mine. so.. I was just wondering if anyone could help me... or if I'm just on crack and there's really nothing I can do about this... I guess I should provide some information as to what on earth I'm using, eh?

Computer stuffs:
P3 667, Voodoo 5 card, 383 mb of RAM...

Stuff on ePSXe:
video plug-in: Lewpy's Glide, with all default settings except for experimental flipping (am playing FF9.. have to have it on), and the OSD is set to extra, not basic.

You know what I mean... when you capture a screen... my captures look all pixely... but other people's... looks like... a photograph. Any help... if there *is* a solution at all?

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Well.. I use adobe photoshop 6.0 convert my shots into jpeg.. You can also try using 4xFSAA with lewpys glide pluggin.. It always gives me great shots.. Here is a shot just for you.. Lewpys glide pluggin filters the mdecs so they shouldn't be pixelated.. 4xFSAA makes em even less pixelated.. What are you using to take the screenshots and which program do you use to convert them to jpeg?

I also like collecting screenshots.. So I have about 500 shots from my games using epsxe.. about 100 shots from FF9 and growing.. I did post most of my shots in the screenshots section a while back before the board crashed.. All my screenshots were erased.. I still have em all though so its cool..

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!! that's so cute!! yes... Vivi's just squeezy that way. Okay... *ahem* back to sounding un-girly...

Excuse my ignorance.. but what is 4xFSAA??

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
FSAA stands for Full Scene Anti-Aliasing.. Its an option in the advanced display properties of the Voodoo 5 that lets you set FSAA.. There is 2xFSAA and 4xFSAA.. They do give you a performance hit when used but I find that playing FF9 on epsxe at a resolution of 640x480 with 4xFSAA looks better than any other resolutions and keeps the game running full speed.. You can also use your voodoo tools program that come with your voodoo 5 to set FSAA options..

Your not too girly.. Atleast you know your computer specs..

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*smirk* I didn't know that knowing my computer specs was an ungirly thing. Anyhow.. yes.. to keep to the topic of the post (please, oh gods of the NGemu.com site, do not smite me)... So.. I changed it... (it was just set at 'fastest speed' before)... haven't tried the game yet... but wanted to ask you... how come everyone says their game runs faster under 640X480? I tried that.. and it didn't make a hoot of a difference... *pout*

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
errr.. would I be wrong in assuming that epsxe/Lewpy's Glide works only with Direct 3d... or ... am I just on crack ('cuz... due to the name... of the plug-in.. one might deduct that it works rather well with openGl/Glide...)... doesn't seem to make a diff to my resolution, btw... perhaps I'll just diddle around with it for a bit.. unless there are some things you could tell me to "definitely not do!!" with my video card... (hey hey. keep it clean... I know what you're thinking).

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
generally it takes less processing for the game to run at lower resolution, so therefore it should run faster, unless you are playing 3d in a window (which i read on bleem somewhere..).
if it really didnt make that much of a difference, that either means 1 of 2 things. if you are getting ~60fps anyway, anything faster isnt going to make much of a difference. if you are getting a lower framerate, you need to do some more tweaking because things other than resolution are slowing you down.

man its been a while since i smote someone.. :wink:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Actually Lewpy's plugin uses the Glide API, present only in 3dfx (Voodoo) cards. Since you have a Voodoo5, this is your best bet. I personally don't think you'll see THAT much difference/improvement in terms of graphics quality if you try the different Glide/Direct3D/OpenGL plugins (correct me if I'm wrong; I don't have a Glide card), but running a Voodoo5 in native glide is definitely faster than having to run it using Direct3D.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kairi: Uhm... I tried putting it in glide mode.. and then my emulator just kept doing illegal operations and wouldn't run my game at all (I feel like the world's biggest idiot.. what am I doing WRONG...??)

bgnome: If you've ever met my possessed computer.. there are probably many things slowing it down that no one knows about.. including my computer's terrible attitude...

you wouldn't smite me, would you? *looking up at you with large anime eyes*

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by Sangu|ne
Kairi: Uhm... I tried putting it in glide mode.. and then my emulator just kept doing illegal operations and wouldn't run my game at all (I feel like the world's biggest idiot.. what am I doing WRONG...??)
No worries, you're not doing anything wrong... most of the time, it's Windows that's screwing itself up... especially when you're running Win9X (95/98/Me).. :p

Hmm.... sounds like driver problems to me. Try updating the Voodoo5 drivers to the newest one (www.3dfx.com) if you haven't already, or possibly re-install the drivers. Or better yet, do you have any other games that uses Glide? Test them to see if they run or not.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly enough, my dear Kairi... All my games... seem to like the direct3d... name a game that uses glide? *shake head* oh... the INJUSTICE of it all... if only Linux would support games.... *sigh* oh woes me.. and my pixely fmvs... *smirk*

Kairi... you're the one at SFU, right?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Heh, good point... I can't think of any new games that use Glide.. as for some older titles here are some: Resident Evil, Redline Racer, Need for Speed (2 SE, 3, and 4), Ignition, Test Drive 5. I have these games, so if you ever want to test things out, I'll be more than happy to lend some of them to you.

And yeah, I'm the one up at SFU. The computer geek :)

[edit].. actually... Unreal Tournament has native Glide support as well....

Oh btw, which Linux are you running? RH? Mandrake?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*I* unfortunately am not running Linux... because *I* unfortunately do not understand programming... (damn me for my female brain). I have numerous friends though... who constantly regale me with tales of the wonders of Linux.... like how... it never crashes....

So you're at SFU... one of these days I'm going to have to hunt you down, drag you to my house and get you to exorcise the bad tempered demons from my machine... you can do that, can't you? Don't they teach you that in comp sci? *laugh* ooh.. I wish.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Oh yeah, when you want a stable and lightweight (and free!) OS, Linux is the way to go. But there's a price to pay: configuring it is a bit of a pain, and no games. I've only crashed it once, and it was my own fault too... hehe.. that was fun... I wrote a program that was sooo memory inefficient, it used up all 384Mb of Ram + all the virtual memory/swap space that I had..... man that was embarassing. :)

I wouldn't mind exorcising those demons from your computer. That's my hobby, playing around with computers (and NO, "playing around" is not what you think it is! :D) Plus I really want to see how ePSXe runs in Glide, I want to see whether there's any discernible image quality differences between Glide and OGL/D3D.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kairi: As soon as my midterms are over (being November 20) you're more than welcome to my humble hideout to take a whack at my computer. Every... single... person... who has EVER had their hands on my computer ends up walking away saying "That... is one interesting machine you have there... never seen anything quite... like it"

Can you beat... the evil machine?? If you can.. I'm forever in your debt. And no.. i wasn't think you were "playing" with your computer.. I know you comp sci guys love your machinery... not loooooove it, y'know? :)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Sure thing... I won't finish my midterms till Nov 26th though, so you hafta wait just a bit longer :) Heheh... man I can't wait now... I love challenges... :D

And yeah we CS guys loove our system.... in a non-sexual sort of way, of course :p

BTW, Sangu|ne, where do you live (which area)? I'm a Burnaby boy.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm a Coquitlamite. Have you ever been to Coquitlam? Everyone always tells me that they've never known about Coquitlam 'til they know me... Coquitlam.. it's built in the shape of a donut.. with a bite out of it.. Port Moody is in the centre. uhmm... right... Nov. 26th.. it's all good. I thought you comp guys like challenges (that's what brought my friends who tried to fix my computer over before). I wish you the best of luck.. 'cuz.. I am just DROOLING at that picture up above of Vivi.. the lines.. so smooth... no pixely rough edges... if only... oh... my. :) So.. yeah... I guess between now and then I'll find out what your name is. :p hahaha

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Hey there neighbour! :) Yeah I know about Coquitlam... I go there for 2 things: MicroPlay (although it's closed now) and Hon's takeouts. So I guess I have one more reason to go to Coquitlam now :)

PS: You on ICQ, by any chance?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes.. I'm on icq... my number should be in my profile? Uhmm... Microplay's CLOSED??? Since when? Oh my goodness.. they can't be closed.. I go there all the time... you're talking about the one right next to Hon's right? (I live pretty close to there, btw). When did it close?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by Sangu|ne
Yes.. I'm on icq... my number should be in my profile?
D'oh!! *slaps himself in the forehead*... the profile page... I'm such a dolt! :emb:

As for Microplay, well, I went to Hon's probably about 3 months ago, and that's when I realized that the place is closed. It was sometime in the afternoon... and the place was dark. I checked again the next few days, and same thing.. all dark. There was no sign either, so I don't know if they're closed down for good, or maybe temporarily, for renovation or something. I'm hoping that it's only closed for renovation.

When was the last time you went there?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts