Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MDEC probs in FF8

Anyone know why this happens or how to get rid of it? My setup is in my last post "FF8 Problems" btw. Whenever i get to an FMV (Im pretty sure thats what theyre called.. in other words, the movies) my screen goes all funky colors, then when it goes to gameplay, its fine, except the text is messed up (its in a solid pink box, and you can only see the first letter of each sentance), and the shadows are like black rings inside each other (very weird). Anyone know how to disable FMVs/Movies?? or how to fix this?
PS: the GPU im using is the only one that i have that lets me actually play it, so i have to use that one to fix it

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I haven't had any problems with FF8 MDEC's on ePSXe 1.40. I'm using pete's 1.51 OpenGL GPU if that helps.
Otherwise I don't have a clue on which GPU you are using, or what type of graphic card you have.
Are you even using ePSXe? (just kidding on that one..hee hee)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First off, my GPU, SPU and CDR settings are in my last Thread called "FF8 Problems" . and regarding your Pete's OpenGL 1.51, first i have to be able to LOAD FF8 on that gpu,to see if the mdec's are running properly on it

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I don't undstand your problem at all. What's soo hard about? Just use pete's latest plugin. Because I am and it works...do I need to prove it to you?

here are my settings, I have a geforce 2 detonator 12.90

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.51
Author: Pete Bernert

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen mode

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 4 - edge clamping supported
- Caching: 2 - 98 textures usable

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2 - not used yet
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on (hardware)
- Subtractive blending: activated

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000100]

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got the same problem as yours for i tried the real-time save/load function. you can try loading the game in the NORMAL way, i meant select load game in the main screen.

·
I code therefore I am.
412 Posts
If you are using a software GPU...

I've seen this EXACT problem with Kazzuya's and Pete's I don't know exactly what causes this But I know what soft GPU that doesn't cause the problem. Knacks Software GPU 0.84 DOES not cause this problem. You MUST use an ISO though because NEC CD drives have odd problems with all of squares CD's I think it's because they do some nasty things actaully by bypassing the SONY bios. I can't prove this as yet.

What square does is have 3 files on FF8 and FF9 discs one is an executeable one is called FF8disc1.img and the other is the system.cnf file which has the boot information.

What happens is the offsets into the FF8disc1.img are all in the executable. I think this is actually the cause of headaches on emulators. I as said this can't prove this. But I do get the nifty pink problems and messed up palletes as well.

There are very FEW settings on KNACKS SOFT GPU just pick that you are using a 21" NTSC screen and 640x480 windowed <unless you LIKE using full screen :) > don't bother selecting the FPS display because it will randomly do that <sigh> :)

Don't load a SAVED image with the wild pallete problems in it because the GPU will do the same things the last GPU did. Just load it before the FMV problems and it will work.

Caveats are that it's jerky because of the automatic frame skipping. It is VERY fast if you have a fast machine mine is a P3-300mhz. However it does not exhibit the pallete destruction problem. that the other soft GPU's do.

·
I code therefore I am.
412 Posts
Oh yes forgot one thing I get about 30 fps on a 300mhz P3 this means of course on a CPU like th Athalon/Duron/TBird you should get about a 1:10 clock speed ratio. IE 650mhz Athalon should be about 65fps .. My display is a Dimond Stealth 3d 2000 or an S3Virge 4M edo single clock memory. (64 bit memory 60ns if I remember the memory parts on this adapter) If you have an AGP card <PCI 32 bit bus AGP 64 bit PCI 1x AGP 1x 2x and 4x > you should double the FPS depending if the code uses 64 bit aligned transfers or 32 bit aligned transfers and if the CPU supports this ETC.

Yes it is possible that means to have some REALLY high fps if the soft GPU doesn't limit it, and from what I can tell it doesn't.

Cyb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts