Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just replaced my 1.44mb floppy drive that retiried after 18mths of usage.
I'm thinking if current OS (win98se/winxp) or PC (865P chipset) will work fine without floppy drive ? It seem that floppy drive is still needed for some tasks ?

·
Registered
356 Posts
It should work just fine without a floppy, but if you can get one I suggest you put it in. I have had my comp for three years and the floppy didn't work, and I wish it did.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
floppy drives are not required, but it's nice to have one anyways. It's much easier to make a bootable floppy for BIOS upgrades than making a bootable CD ;)

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
Something to take note:

I thought that the Windows OS shows a removable disc (A:) when you do not install a floppy. Is there any way to rid of it?

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
fireblaster_lyz said:
I thought that the Windows OS shows a removable disc (A:) when you do not install a floppy. Is there any way to rid of it?
there is an option in most BIOSes to tell Windows where are no floppy drives installed. most of the time the option is called "No FDD for Windows" or something similar

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
Windows 9x/ME will always see an A: drive. This is because the DOS underpinnings don't understand the concept of no A: drive.

WinNT/2K/XP will not show a floppy drive if it is not connected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts