Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's so serious that I have to make a separate thread about this.

Probably wouldn't be noticeable on higher-performance class machines, but on my machine (look at sig), Flash 10 does not give quite the same number of fps (mind you, I set it to run at 120fps actually) as Flash 9 under Windows.

And then the sound delay is unbearable. There's a good 200ms or even more of a delay when sound is played back in Flash 10. Enabling hardware acceleration does not help at all.

Off-topic: Oh yeah, and new release of Super Chip emulator, too. This time with a fps counter and a reset button... though the truth remains that I didn't count on a release so soon. Just made this build for experimental and documentation purposes. :p If you want to ask about the flicker filter, wait for the documentation. It's not a hack.

Off-topic end.

Anyway, that aside, I'm kind of worried now looking at the direction Adobe is going with Flash 10. It's full of bugs, and most are just slowing down the supposed hardware accelerations instead of speeding stuffs up. It's to the point that I almost want to revert back to Flash 9 and resort to using Matrix for my 3D engine instead of that mess.

Maybe the Mac and Linux versions of the player are better, but... I'm currently stumped by the Windows performance of Flash 10. It's almost telling me that Flash is no longer for low-end machines.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
never noticed these problems with flash 10.... but then if you're using that celeron 450, you should probably stick with flash 9

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
Are you having slowdowns with flash videos or flash vector animations? I got a slight speedup in videos. Vector animations seem to have a split-second pause every so often. The split-second pause didn't happen when I was using Flash 9.

Also, enabling hardware acceleration won't improve anything unless the video/animation was created with the 'Accelerate w/HW' option checked in Adobe Flash CS4 itself. :(

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
never noticed these problems with flash 10.... but then if you're using that celeron 450, you should probably stick with flash 9
Well, it wasn't specifically the slow performance, but rather that weird sound delay.

Are you having slowdowns with flash videos or flash vector animations? I got a slight speedup in videos. Vector animations seem to have a split-second pause every so often. The split-second pause didn't happen when I was using Flash 9.

Also, enabling hardware acceleration won't improve anything unless the video/animation was created with the 'Accelerate w/HW' option checked in Adobe Flash CS4 itself. :(
Mmm... it's not the player I'm talking about, though, it's the way Flash CS3 (Flash 9) and Flash CS4 (Flash 10) compiled the same pieces of codes. It's the same code... same package, even the same file, and Flash CS3 proved to compile out a more complete and faster version of the app whereas Flash CS4 made that weird sound delay.

Well, download the two files above and see for yourself. The CS4 version is the one with Hardware Acceleration at Direct. I tried no acceleration and GPU without any result so I just left it at Direct for the heck of it.

Mmm... seems like I need to clarify something: although Flash Player is indeed up to version 10 and also has acceleration, what I'm talking about is the builder itself, which just happens to correspond to the version of the Player. A.k.a. this is the performance of Flash CS4 the builder, not of the Player. The Player is fine, and it plays back the file fine. Flash Player 10 can play the file compiled by Flash CS3 without sound delays, but if it's the Flash CS4 compiled file, it has sound delays.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts