Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy folks!

Just signed in on the Forum. Now my first question: the original PS2 is able to run Ps1 Games too. What about PCSX2? Can I run my Ps1 games with it? Or isn't it possible?

Second Question: I have some trouble configuring my USB-Gamepad. The digital Keys on the left (up,down,left,right) will be completely ignored. :hdbash: Does anyone has the same Prob?

Big thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Your first question has been answered before. PCSX2 does not currently support ps1 games, but hopefully it will when the program is finished several years from now. Getting ps2 games to work is the priority of the programmers right now so if you want to play ps1 games then go download one of the many working ps1 emulators.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
PCSX2 is designed to run PS2 games, if you want to run PS1 games there are pleanty of PS1 emulators out there, emulating PS1 on PCSX2 is near the bottom of the list of things to do

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
ShadowDancer said:
My PS2 can play DVD movies. Can PCSX2 play DVDs as well? Sorry I couldn't resist. :(
not at the moment, its being looked into but due to something known as "Magicgate" its going to be very difficult to get it working.

nordlicht: forgot to mention, try using sssxpad for your gamepad, it should work on that.

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
One nice little peice of info: other misc discs are being detected correctly with a modified version of a cdvd plugin, however, they are only detected while in bios, and it seems the disc's table of contents isn't quite understood correctly by the emu yet. Here's some screens of the bios showing a DVD (movie) and audio cd as the types of discs in the bios browser.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
I don't understand why you guys want all this stuff implemented into the emulator. The PS2 DVD player is absolutely hopeless compared to the other programs available on the computer, and the team has already made PCSX and, as refraction stated, plenty of other emulators are around.

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Well, even though it may be pointless to make all these things work, the theory is, once the emulator's at 100%, IN THEORY (note the emphasis on theory :p), all these features would work. Again, this is only a guess at this point in time. Sometimes making other things work can bring up compatibility.;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ShadowDancer

You're wrong...im not clueless 'bout PSX Emulation. I'm running ePSXe (works very fine). But if PCSX2 could run PS1 Games...why I should use two Emu's?

Thanks for the Gamepad-Tip. Now it runs. But I guess I have to wait for some new releases of the Emu. Castlevania (my main reason for PS2). Isn't running at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, obviously... but when it'll take years for PCSX2 to actually finish, you don't really have a choice.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Hold up... you want the PCSX2 team to go to all that trouble to implement PSX compatibility so you don't have to use 2 different programs?

Sorry to say this, but if thats you're only reasoning you don't deserve it.

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
#1: The primary goal of the team is to emulate what the PS2 is essentialy all about, being able to play PS2 games.
#2: The make goal #1: work in a optimised and neat manor, whilst still needing daft specs, doing this will drop the required specs.
#3: Emulate the more 'secondary' functions of the PS2, CDDA, DVDv, HDD, misc..
#4: Given the PS2 is able to play PS1 games, add support for this.

This would simply be for completeness sake, that an interesting challenge as the PS2 handles the PS1 in a somewhat different way, so rather than just tack on a PS1 emu that boots from within PCSX2, the aim would be to handle the PS1 like a PS2 does, which would be somewhat different to ePSXe / PSXeven / PCSX, proberbly slower, but certainly a unique challenge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I only asked for some things in a friendly way. I'm not a programmer, just a simple USER. A normal and friendly answer would be nice. I didn't say that I WANT the PCSX2 Team to do anything. It's cool enough that you do all this stuff in your free time. The Question was: is it possible,the answer was "no". Questions answered.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
[Clements] said:
To OP: The source code of both the PCSX and PCSX2 projects are freely available, so feel free to merge the code yourself.

oh my if only it was easy as that :) actually pcsx2 already contains a majority of the source code from PCSX, and it still doesnt work so ;p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.