Next Generation Emulation banner

Firefox takes all my RAM

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  ariano_romanov 
#1 ·
What is wrong with it. It continually gets bigger taking up more memory as I surf the net untill it hits about 240 megs (!!!) then my comp starts runnings slow because of lack of memory then when it his 256 megs it crashes. Its like it keeps old pages I viewed in memory even after I close them. I can "fix" it by closing and reopening firefox but that is a pain is thee anyway to stop this from happening.

I am using firefox version 1.0 I have Gmail notifier, super drag and go, and tab browser preferences extensions all latest versions

Hardware : 2 Ghz athlon 2400+
512 Mb Ram @ 333Mhz

thanks in advance

#2 ·
There are known memory leaks on firefox. Minimize and restore it, that way it usually frees memory. Don't ask me why, it just works :p . Plans are already set to hunt and fix that leaks throughout this year, but it's still a little far away. If you'd like to know more, you can search both mozillazine.org and bugzilla, you'll find some more info.

#5 ·
actually this minimize restore thing doesnt fully work it just reduces the size while it is minimized and for a short time when it is back up it jumps right back up in ram usage as soon as you try to save an image (or possibly other things - havent tested) but not always

#8 ·
I read this thread this morning... And only an hour later I had the same problem for the first time oO

Strange because other nights I was online the whole night and never had a problem, not even on my old computer....

#9 ·
Sorry for my drunken ramble before.

In all seriousness though, I use use Firefox 0.9 and haven't experienced this problem of memory stealing, could it be some of the plugins you are using that is causing the problems?

Ps. Yes I do still use Internet Explorer as my main browser as Firefox seems to have some problems displaying HTML tables.

#10 ·
>Ps. Yes I do still use Internet Explorer as my main browser as Firefox seems to have some problems displaying HTML tables.

What, like the tables I use on my site which Firefox displays fine, but IE has problems with? It also seems to have issues with the colours, and right justifying my news, when it's not called for anywhere.

#12 ·
>>I read this thread this morning... And only an hour later I had the same problem for the first time

Yup I only started experiencing this problem a few weeks ago too, I mean it would get big befor but would never crash until recently

I have discovered a better solution though, since it only seems to get so big as to crash when I a downloading many images but didnt used to do this i wondered what was different anyway the different thing is that the images i have been getting lately have been off sites that link directly to an image (I think it displayes .jpg at the end of the url) whereas before it was to a page with an image on it. so if you avoid those sites it may be fine also if you tel firefox to automatically clear the contents of that download manager thing every time it sucessfuly downloads that helps a lot

#13 ·
64m ram here, never have a major problem with firefox. When I view too many image heavy pages, the HD will be almost constantly spinning as it starts making heavy use of the pagefile. When that happens, I know it's time to reload firefox. I've never had it crash or anything though. I have a number of extensions (including TBE, which many people complain is bloated and buggy, but which I've never had a single problem with), and frequently have 6 or more tabs open. I'm using v0.93, everyone I've seen complain about these memory issues has 1.0. Perhaps you should "down"grade to v0.9.

#14 ·
try this:

Fix a memory leak in Firefox 1.0
Firefox is supposed to dynamically release memory from its RAM cache to other Windows applications as needed. Unfortunately, Firefox 1.0 seems to consume more memory than it should, which hurts performance, when set to the default of 51200 KB (51 MB).

To solve this, Firefox power users recommend limiting the memory cache using the Configuration Console. This frees up memory for other apps, speeding up everything to a greater or a lesser extent, depending on your machine and the applications you run. Here's how the trick works:

Step 1. Type about:config into Firefox's Address Bar and press Enter.

Step 2. Right-click any row, then click New, Integer. Type or paste the following preference name into the dialog box that appears (this is a hidden preference that doesn't exist in the Configuration Console until you create it):

browser.cache.memory.capacity

Step 3. Click OK, then enter the following integer number into the next dialog box, representing 16 MB of RAM for the cache:

Step 4. Click OK to close the dialog box, then close all instances of Firefox and restart it.

For a lengthy discussion of this option, see Mozillazine's forum topic 172041.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.