Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
old-timer
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
why when i click on a link within firefox's browser window, does it open an entirely new instance of firefox...why is it not using its tabbed browsing feature!?!?!?!? i'm using the newest version of firefox 1.0PR?? it did the same thing to me on older versions which is why i never stuck w/ it. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

edit: ah, so i see if i right click on a link, and can opt to open it w/in a new tab as opposed to a new window...how do i make this the default action for clicking on links?

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
I'm using firefox for abiut 3 days now, when I want to open link in new tab I just press CTRL+SHIFT and click on the link (it opens i new tab in 'background') also shift or ctrl pressed alone (don't remember which one right now) + click on link opens in new tab in 'front' :)

·
old-timer
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i was just hoping there was a way to make this the default action. apparently there used to be an 'extension' that allowed u to do this...why this function would need to be included in an 'extension' is beyond me...but that 'extension' is no longer compatible with the browser....i am now reminded of why i stuck w/ opera.

·
pee comes out the weewee
79 Posts
if you use your mouse wheel button to click on the link it automatically opens it in a new tab.

edit: seems i was beaten to the answer :p

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
heh... /me to wishes that opening link in new tab be default... maybe I didn't saw it in options, gonna search for it once again, when I get back home from work :)

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
The drawback to firefox over mozilla is that firefox's options are greatly reduced. Do yourself a huge favor and grab the tab browser extensions add-on http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_tabextensions.html.en It's always the first extension I install after a fresh install/update of firefox. Among it's countless features is the ability to always have only one instance of firefox (this will force new windows, popups (if you don't block them, or if they are legit content popups), etc to open in new tabs instead of new windows.
The other extension I always add immediately is adblock http://adblock.mozdev.org/ It allows you to block out images, and even embedded objects such as flash and java with just a couple clicks.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Last I remember under the Options under Firefox there are Tab Browsing settings already (current RC2 build) which has those setting that will let you open links in a new tab instead of a Window. TBE and TBP are not really needed as much anymore if you are looking for just basic uses for Tab Browsing.

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
I would also recomend super drag and go it allows you to click and hold down on a link then when you move your mouse it opens in a new tab whereas just clicking opens in the same tab, just like myIE

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
I'm still using 0.9.3. I rarely update firefox unless there's a major problem, or a huge improvement. The fact that every single new version breaks every old skin and extension just makes it too much hassle to update.

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Tab browser prefs isn't nearly as good as tab browser extension. I used TBP when I first re-installed firefox here because TBE was no longer on firefox's site under extensions. When I did a websearch however, and found that TBE still existed and was compatible with current versions, I dropped TBP like a hot rock.

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Another option (if you feel pretty comfortable editing such things) is to simply go to this url: about:config That will show you all the options you can change in firefox, and allow you to do so simply by double clicking what you want to change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts