Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, where do I start . . .

Okay, my machine is repaired, works wonderfully. But I'm having a VERY annoying issue right now. Well, the computer refuses to stand-by, shut down, or restart (instead it just says "Preparing to stand-by/shut down/restart" and just stays there), takes FOREVER to load my firewall upon startup, and cannot run uninstallers for some programs. Norton Antivirus also sometimes starts up with auto-protect disabled (in order to enable it, the service has to be restarted using Computer Management).

Hrm, MSN Messenger and error reporting just spontaneously stopped responding. Not sure if that has anything to do with this

I had this problem once before, and noticed that they both occured after a thorough scrubbing using CrapCleaner. I asked someone (he knows what he's doing) about these registry cleaners and he said that they often tend to mess things up (especially since I've enabled all advanced options and I don't know what they do ><). I was wondering if this is my problem and if it's reversible without formatting or doing a system restore? I tried System Restore, fixed some things, but some problems stayed.

Oh, and I have this issue with using Hotmail with FireFox. When posting replies, the body field always has that "<DIV><DIV>" stuff, and the recipient's original attached message is garbled (symbols instead of spaces and linebreaks and random HTML here and there). My favorite addresses list is also messed up a little as well. People whose FireFox works fine with Hotmail say it's a problem with script blocking, but nothing that I know of is blocking it. Can anyone help me with this as well?

Any help would highly be appreciated.

~ Thanks in advance.
-Mako

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
yeah, your registry "cleaner" could've "cleaned" something important :rolleyes:

as for the hotmail thing, i dunno, i dont use hotmail because i hate it :p

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hushypushy said:
yeah, your registry "cleaner" could've "cleaned" something important :rolleyes:
Yea, from now on I'll just use the basic options (at least I know what THEY do) and make a registry backup before trying to repair issues. It would always suggest making a registry backup before doing it, but I would always ignore :D

EDIT: Well, I don't know what happened, but it restarts and shuts down now. Still doesn't standby though. Now my internet connection (university LAN) often dies without notice, even though Windows and the connections office here says it's working fine. It also takes Windows Explorer a LONG time to initialize on startup sometimes . . .

Ah Hell, I'll just format this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.