Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Nah, not that difference.

Votes: 6 26.1%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· !
9,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mozilla Proposes Firefox 3.7 Interface Changes

It looks like the Mozilla Foundation wants to make some significant changes to the Firefox user interface in the 3.7 version. The Mozilla site has some initial mockups to start the discussion off among Firefox developers. Right now, they're showing only Windows changes, for both XP and Vista/Win7.
Simplification seems to be the order of the day. There's less button space on the left of the address bar, and buttons have a separated and distinct look to them. The whole File/Edit/View/etc. bar is gone, replaced by a View drop-down box to the right of the search bar, with a button to make the bookmarks bar appear. Far more of the window is "glass", which makes it integrate better with Vista/Win7's OS elements like explorer windows and such.

The changes to the XP version are similar, though of course without the glass stuff. The main difference appears to be the Tools and Bookmark Bar buttons to the right of the search bar, which have a different design but presumably similar functionality to that in the Vista/Win7 design.
The changes look good to me. Removing the File/Edit/etc. bar, or at least hiding it away, makes sense. It increases the amount of your Firefox window that is used by the page itself, rather than the interface, which is one of the things I love about Chrome. It seems like use of the Home button has fallen out of favor, so it makes sense to get rid of that, too. Of course, this is a mockup of proposed changes to a version 3.7, when 3.6 isn't even out yet. So it may look quite different by the time this version ships. What do you think of the changes? Leave us your comments.

Source

What you think about that look?

· Banned
35,081 Posts
OH **** NO

they better not glassify firefox, else im gunna ram some knives in the developers skulls.

· No$gba Philosopher
553 Posts
I'm not going to get Firefox 3.7 and later versions until Firefox 4.0 Stable is out. I'm using version 3.0 by the way.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
WTF! No menu bar? This is the very reason I despise IE and now they're incorporating it into FF? There better be an option to fix it permanently....

· No$gba Philosopher
553 Posts
Well, it's fixed like that permanently...

· The one and only
4,074 Posts
ugh i hate not having the menu bar too...

· Curiously Cheddar
4,521 Posts
Just hit alt...

Having it hidden gives you more view space. And if you're really that attached, there's always the Personal Menu extension.

· No$gba Philosopher
553 Posts
how do you know?
I never knew how to bring up the menu bar, until...

Just hit alt...

Having it hidden gives you more view space. And if you're really that attached, there's always the Personal Menu extension.
...that showed up. Thanks, Cheesus.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Just hit alt...

I don't want to lose the current functionality, especially not since I have a 24" with 1200 pixels vertically, so there's simply no need to cut it.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Exactly, how much browsing space are you gonna save by cutting off a 6 pixel menu bar? It makes next to no difference even on a puny 17" monitor I guess.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
im still going to jam a knife in their skulls.

· Curiously Cheddar
4,521 Posts
So, this is just another lie from these mudda f**kers. cool skin though.

sorry, guys.
Hole.

I hope you find a nice one. Because one day, I'm going to make sure you get stabbed in one.

Seriously.

HE NEVER MAKES ANY SENSE! EVARRR! How is that even legal!?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.