Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to finally build my new computer. I've recently found some parts on newegg.com that I am thinking of buying and would like your advice, comments, suggestions, etc...

Mobo: ASRock "P4S61" SiS661FX $49
CPU: Intel Celeron-D 2.26GHz (Prescott) $66.5
RAM: 256MB Kingston PC2100 DDR $44
GPU: nVidia GeForce fx5200 8xAGP 128MB $53

The rest of the computer will be built with parts from my current system...I might need a new case. I'm thinking I may be able to get one off a friend, but I don't know.
How much wattage would the PSU need?

Your response is much appreciated :)

PS. Basically I'm aiming for a mid-range system that can be easily upgraded in the future... I'm looking for the best bang for my little buck.

PPS. Anyone know how it will work to ship into Canada? I'm wondering if shipping will cost more.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If I were you I'd spend a little bit more and get a Radeon 9550 or 9600 card. You'll be happy you did. Or perhaps the upcoming 6200 line however current availability is weak paticularly in AGP form and it has no compression for anti aliasing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
more ram would be a welcomed addition too otherwise your windows xp (assuming you will be running it) takes quite a bit of ram. and dont ASRock mobo's suck?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
They're not bad if you don't overdo them.. They are for sure value boards, but they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. They are part of Asus afterall. ;) I recently built a PC for a friend down the road with that same board and CPU, ran without a single hitch, even overclocked to 3.2GHz. :) Man, those Celly-D's sure to OC f00king awesome.

But yeah, get some more ram, and get either PC2700 or PC3200. The Celeron D running on a 533FSB would be held back alot by 266MHz RAM. PSU shouldn't be too big an issue - 300W would be more than enough.

edit: woops. Newegg doesn't ship to Canada.. didn't read your whole post. I hear good things about TigerDirect Canada, though I personally don't deal with them (Newegg is a luxury ;)) it's probably the best e-tailer that ships to Canada.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Go for a better manufacturer like MSI for the board, If you want to play games on that you don't want a Celeron 512MB ram is what I suggest and a Radeon9600 for your card and a 380 Watt PSu is recomended

·
Registered
181 Posts
go with an ATI card like a radeon 9000 or higher or a geforce FX5500. i bought a Geforce FX 5200 128mb a few days ago and its not worth it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updated wishlist

Thx for the advise:)
Along with some suggestions from one of my brother's friends, I have come up with a better system.
I'm still working on it, but advise is still welcome:

MoBo: Asus P4800 SiS $98.99
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz (Northwood?) $188.99
RAM: Kingston 512MB PC3200 $121.99
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 9550 128MB $107.99

*Prices are in Canadian (thanks to the sites recommended:)). Conversion is about .82US=1.00CND.

PS. Although I doubt it will be a concern, I want to make sure the parts will be compatible (I've heard stories:()

PPS. Sorry for the newb question, but when it says the mobo supports 2 IDE devices, is that per cable(4 in total)?:heh:

·
Registered
7,330 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok, but the thing is when ever I'm going to want to upgrade again both sticks go to waste...
ya, i'm very frugal
I'll consider it though

EDIT: Ooo...Don't really want to stray from Asus/Abit ;)

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
How so? It'd be the same with 1x512. If you upgrade it'll be useless aswell. You probably thought I meant 2 of those, but no, I mean 2x256=512. ;) Trust me. The extra speed you won't regret having.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, with 1x512, I could buy another 512 to make it 1024... Of coarse with a 4DIMM mobo I could get another 2x256 or 2x512 (=1536)...

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Whatever you want to do. I'm just saying get that board and matched DIMMs and you'll be golden. ;)

Who cares if it isn't Asus or Abit.. a better board for less and you don't want it because it's not Asus or Abit. Pay more for less features (running in single channel with a P4 is absolutely idiotic) for, essentially, a name. You were starting out buying an ASRock ;). Man, that's.. stupid. Shuttle isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Esturk said:
Asus and Abit are friggin awesome. Why not go for an Asus or Abit board that supports dual channel?:p
They are indeed, but they are much more expensive.. it's his decision. ;)

I love my Albatron board though. Tried something new, came out pleasently suprised. I once too clinged to Abit/Asus/MSI, etc.. but this one seemed "right". Now, I wouldn't have it any other way (well... an A64 would be nice :)).

·
Registered
780 Posts
That Shuttle board should be solid. I'm using one right now (wish I had my good ol
albatron but oh well).My board is old, outdated, non dual channel, crappy via chipset, but I have never had a problem with boards from Shuttle, so I would take cooliscool's advice and get it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...After thinking about it a bit more, I think I'll either get that Shuttle (most likely) or a $100+ Asus/Abit with Dual Channel... I figure with 4DIMM 2x 2x256 will go to waste anyway in a few years; next time i do a full upgrade (64-bit, DDR2, PCI-X, etc;))

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
You mean PCI-express. PCI-X and PCI-e are two different things. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
PCX = PCI-e, bizarely enough

1 - 20 of 30 Posts