Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my newest machines specs here goes

this mobo is a crusher: ASRock mobo supports overclocking to the and very safe
it can also supports amd phenom fx/athlon 64 fx/athlon 64 x2 dual core/athlon x2 dual core/athlon 64 / sempron processor / amd phenom 2 x4 and x3.

this processor is actually a crusher also Amd athlon X2 64 7750, stock clock 2.70ghz and can be OCed to a stable 3.5GHz which is flying. plus an 80 dollar heat sink.
extra info about cpu: 3.0MB total L2+L3 cache socket AM2+

The Ram will stay at 2 gigs

the video card is a geforce 9800 GTX+ 500MB of memory and can easily OC
to 1GIG of video mem.

and lastly the best ran by windows 7.

this is the best setup for pcsx2 at the moment since pcsx2 is best ran using both cores. getting an quad would just a wast becuase pcsx2 doesnt utilize all 4 cores. This is my newest setup people.

· From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
this is the best setup for pcsx2 at the moment
My CPU begs to differ.

Good to hear it works okay though. While the Core 2 would, all around, still be better and my recommendation, the E8x00 CPUs haven't dropped in price in a long time, so it's nice to know there are other alternatives.

Do remember, however, that the newer Athlons are not the same CPU at all as the older Athlon. The newer ones are K10 based (in other words, they're really Phenom IIs with half the cores) whereas the older ones are K8 based.

The Phenom II does great in PCSX2, albeit likely not quite as good as a Core 2, it's close enough, and since the Phenom II overclocks about as well too, it seems I''ll have to toss that into my recommendations now.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Asrock's Asus budget line. They can be tricky with their BIOS settings and chipsets, but often have good value. Had some fun with a few boards of theirs. If you're not too demanding they may be worth checking out. I stick with Gigabyte from now on though.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Asrock's Asus budget line. They can be tricky with their BIOS settings and chipsets, but often have good value. Had some fun with a few boards of theirs. If you're not too demanding they may be worth checking out. I stick with Gigabyte from now on though.
yeah asusteks are really good when it comes to their bios and settings.
also the newest feature for this up to date asrock board is called untied overclocking technology. which means during overclocking , the FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed pci and pciE buses. this is a very cool feature that this board has because the cpu and the FSB is untied while overclocking which means the PCI and the PCIE buses are in a fixed mode so that the FSB can operate under a more stable and safer environment pretty niffty feature actually.

6,584 Posts
Ungh, that's not a new feature. My old ASRock P4i65G had that same feature (listed almost word for word like that), and from what I think I understand of it, it has a good and bad side.

The good is, it removes the motherboard chipset and RAM from the equation as limiting factors. It basically lets the CPU run at it's own FSB.

The bad news is, this doesn't net you full performance. Sure, the CPU is running faster, but some of the increase can also come with a faster FSB.

I guess it's better than nothing, but I think it's tossed in to compensate for the lack of being able to overclock for real.

I might have this wrong, but I believe that's how this feature works.

On the board in question I had, that feature was useless though, since the board lacked voltage controls for the CPU. It was a 2.8GHz CPU (Pentium 4) by default, and was unstable at 3.0GHz. Temperatures were pretty low, so I'm almost positive it was lack of voltage.

So if the board lacks CPU voltage control, that feature will do nothing and is just a marketing gimmick. The board was still great at stock though.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
dude... PCI Lock has been around since nforce 2 :p

6,584 Posts
I think the locked AGP, PCI, PCI Express, SATA, and/or IDE is only half of the feature. With it being called "untied FSB", and from what I thought I remember reading of it, I thought that's what it did, but admittedly, I never really checked the FSB (and it seems odd for a CPU to run at it's own FSB, as I thought it had to be synched with at least the FSB of the chipset). I was just overclocking it for the sake of it (and to see if an even 3GHz was attainable).

· Banned
35,081 Posts
initially the PCI/ISA/AGP and PCIE bus's were locked to the NB base clock.

untied FSB just disconnects these devices from the base clock so you don't get issues like PCI or DATA corruption on devices that use the PCI/PCIE busses.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

untied FSB just disconnects these devices from the base clock so you don't get issues like PCI or DATA corruption on devices that use the PCI/PCIE busses.

i looked into it and it makes perfect since thanks squall and zedeck for the info i will be benchmarking this board further.

oh and everything is new on the mobo except for the ram i will be upgrading to corsair memory

plz if you have any suggestions about the setup plz fire away.

· Registered
290 Posts
my newest machines specs here goes

this mobo is a crusher: ASRock mobo supports overclocking to the and very safe
it can also supports amd phenom fx/athlon 64 fx/athlon 64 x2 dual core/athlon x2 dual core/athlon 64 / sempron processor / amd phenom 2 x4 and x3.

this processor is actually a crusher also Amd athlon X2 64 7750, stock clock 2.70ghz and can be OCed to a stable 3.5GHz which is flying. plus an 80 dollar heat sink.
extra info about cpu: 3.0MB total L2+L3 cache socket AM2+

The Ram will stay at 2 gigs

the video card is a geforce 9800 GTX+ 500MB of memory and can easily OC
to 1GIG of video mem.

and lastly the best ran by windows 7.

this is the best setup for pcsx2 at the moment since pcsx2 is best ran using both cores. getting an quad would just a wast becuase pcsx2 doesnt utilize all 4 cores. This is my newest setup people.
Massive failiure tbh. It doesn't crush anything. Asrock the best? lies.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Massive failiure tbh. It doesn't crush anything. Asrock the best? lies.
good terminology but not good enough my setup was done professionally. how about showing your specs before you flame others my friend. secondly i'm not saying my setup is better than other people's rigs its just an massive upgrade that's all.

So plzzzz let us know about your system and how much its progressed with pcsx2.
know that you call peoples accomplishments a failure's i hope your happy.

im sorry for the gesture but i respect everybody on the pcsx2 forum and i give my respect and support to the devs. but i'm totally against flamming.

6,584 Posts

I knew that was part of it, but I thought what I explained was the other part. I guess not.

Was there another technology then that did what I was saying, or am I way out of it (as in, it's basically practically impossible)? I thought I read of a feature that did that.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
the memory base clock is tied into the cpu's, though you can keep the memory in the correct range by lowering the multiplier as the base clock inceases

· You're already dead...
10,293 Posts
amd cpu's aren't the way to go with pcsx2, but if you can get an x2 to 3.5 ghz it will be okay for most games.

i have a 2.9 x2, and its not the best choice for games (i have to use like all the speedhacks to get decent fps)
some people can play a game at 40fps, but i can't.

theres 3 main reasons c2d's are better than x2 for pcsx2:
1) c2d's are faster clock-to-clock than x2's.
2) c2d's DaZ (denormals are zero) is a huge speedup in some games, whereas DaZ on x2's barely does anything.
3) The new c2d's support sse4.1, and x2's don't.

· ヒット激しく速く
26,508 Posts
amd cpu's aren't the way to go with pcsx2, but if you can get an x2 to 3.5 ghz it will be okay for most games.

i have a 2.9 x2, and its not the best choice for games (i have to use like all the speedhacks to get decent fps)
some people can play a game at 40fps, but i can't.

theres 3 main reasons c2d's are better than x2 for pcsx2:
1) c2d's are faster clock-to-clock than x2's.
2) c2d's DaZ (denormals are zero) is a huge speedup in some games, whereas DaZ on x2's barely does anything.
3) The new c2d's support sse4.1, and x2's don't.
I hope you mean the regular amd athlon X2 cpu's (where your kind of right this aren't for PCSX2), not the ones based of phenom 2 :p which are also highly overclockable and can get decent performance, also a phenom 2 based cpu is a cheaper then a e8400 at least here.

· You're already dead...
10,293 Posts
well i wasn't aware amd had x2's based of phenom 2.
i'm referring to the AM2 6400x2 and under since thats the generation i have.

regardless, they still don't have sse4.1 and i'm 99% certain they will still suck with DaZ just like my model does. (example: in persona games, an intel with DaZ will get almost double the fps; whereas an amd cpu will hardly benefit at all)

the only real benefit of AMD's is the cheaper price; but when you think about it, you're paying less because you're getting a slower cpu.

anyways if you can get a phenom 2 (or x2 based on phenom 2) to 4ghz it'd probably be nice for pcsx2.
i'm guessing that'd be equivalent to a c2d w/sse4.1+DaZ @ 3.4~3.6

to support my claim, i'll mention that in Devil May Cry 1 my x2 @ 2.9ghz gets ~42fps. if we assume pcsx2 scales linearly with clock speed (which it does for the most part), my x2 would have to run @ ~4.1ghz to run pcsx2 at 60fps.
Since my x2 is of an older generation, and i heard that phenom 2's architecture is faster than the old x2's, then maybe you just need a ~3.8ghz phenom2 x2 to hit 60fps. but that will be struggling to get 60fps, so 4ghz would be nicer to allow a more stable full speed experience.

anyways, i'm talking about with minimal/no speedhacks. using speedhacks to the max + other optimizations will of course lower the requirements.
There are some games however that my pc won't break 50fps even with every speedhack/optimization on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.