Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i know u all must be sick an tired of answering my questions (especially u Betamax, but i gave u oscar :p )
but here are the final ones. My specs:

Riva TNT2 ultra 32mb
HP cdwriter plus 8200
Toshiba DVD
256Ram pc100
creative Vibra 128
Microsoft intellimouse optical ( ;) )
Miscrosoft Sisewinder
Nokia 447ZA plus monitor

1st question - is the Thunderbird 1333Mhz 266 bus + Asus 47VI133 ATA100 AGP4x pro compatible with ALL the hardware i said above (including the PC100 memories)

2nd question - Can i change the Mobo and processor (my former one was a celeron 466) without formating the HD? what are the riscs??

thgks for putting up w/ me once more ;)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Mmm... I cant answer your 1st question Neojag, but for your second I would recommend that you do format your hard disk and reinstall windows.

I had a hard disk with WindowsME setup on it and I gave it to my brother to put in his PC. I could not be bother to reinstall windows because I thought that the plug 'n pray abilities in Windows would realise that the hardware had changed, and prompt me to install new drivers - but what actually happened was that I detected the new motherboard and other hardware but it did not remove any of the other installed devices from it's original PC. Obviously this caused all sorts of conflicts and a reinstall was the only way around it. (I mean a clean reinstall, not just a reinstall over the top.) Hope this helps.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
1-Neojag, why would you like to keep PC100 memories if it would be advisable to sell them and buy DDRSDRAMs instead(the prices aren't very steep anyway)?
And for god's sake! Buy a new sound card!
2-Yeah, although not recomended. You will only need to install the board drivers(should come in a pack) and you're set. If you happen to have troubles (instability) do a reinstall of the system without formatting and update directx, Internet explorer and whatever you have updated earlier again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
1. yes

2- you didn't give the chipset of your old mobo, but doing a switch between intel to amd processor... there a possibility of you need to reformat because of possible instabilities of old drivers remaining in your hd not to mention if your windows locks up(windows protection error)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hum, guess im gonna format then..
man, it needs a lot of patience to reinstall everything... :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts