Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I jump to the forum "problems with games" (ePSXe), I can see about 80% of posts about Final Fantasy. Why is it so special? It is just a simple RPG...

·
Be The One
37 Posts
ePSXe seems to have many problems running the FF games. Which leads to many threads (including this one) about FF...

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So everybody plays FF just because it's popular???

Rather interesting, I must admit. Even if I hate RPGs, I tried a similar one - ChronoCross - due to it's popularity. Terrible game (sorry to its fans - it's just my personal opinion). So the question is: would FF seem different? Would it be worth to purchase it?

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
If you don't like RPG and have your opinion about ChronoCross, then I think FF fames won't change your opinion about this game genger :)... just as I think that RTS are too boring :) but it's still only my opinion :)

Edit: but as you know, miracles can happen ;)

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Evaldas said:

Rather interesting, I must admit. Even if I hate RPGs, I tried a similar one - ChronoCross - due to it's popularity. Terrible game (sorry to its fans - it's just my personal opinion). So the question is: would FF seem different? Would it be worth to purchase it?
Chrono Cross is terrible game, but try playing old final fantasies. (from 4 to 6) Horrible graphics, (except if you respect 16bit console era graphics) but incredible story and great music. Story and characters are main reason why RPGs are played. If you are interested in fast action with smooth gameplay and (mostly) no-brains attidute, RPG's are not for you.

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chrono Cross is terrible game, but try playing old final fantasies. (from 4 to 6)
a) You mean, the newer ones are not worth to be played?
b) Which FF parts are released on PC? All of them, I suppose, are PSone games?

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Final fantasy 1-3 are on NES (2 and 3 are japan only, but there are good english fantranslations out there)

Final Fantasy 4-6 are on SNES (4 and 6 are known as 2 and 3 in US. Kinda wierd). They were ported to PSX lately.

Chrono Trigger is for SNES and lately ported to PSX (not an actual FF game, but propably one of the best RPG from Square)

Final Fantasy 7-8 are on PC and PSX.

Final Fantasy 9 is PSX only

Final Fantasy X and X2 are for PS2

Final Fantasy XI are for PC and PS2

Recommended to play: FF3, (if you can stand NES graphics) FF4, FF5, FF6, Chrono Trigger. FF7 is also a must, but it might be wiser to check earlier first. FF8 is only if you get into FF series. It has very good story and very good characters, but gameplay simply sucks. FF9 and X are average. Avoid X-2 at all cost, unless all you want to see from games are chicks with thight, small clothing. :lol:

You can play 1 to 9 thru emulators or such, and 7+8 are for PC aswell. PSX versions are recommended thought since PC ones are VERY buggy in modern computers.

Also, consider these games as "interactive books" where you are playing along and affecting things. Like books, they have their slow parts (which are sometimes boring), but it still keep you in leash and want to know what happens next, like any good book does.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
meh, FF4-6 won't change your opinion. they're really nothing to write home about. if any square rpg would do it, its xenogears.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Evaldas said:
You mean it's popular because everyone plays it.

Emulators are bound to have problems, they are pretty much taking stabs in the dark till they hit something. FF is just *&^%$# wonderful and everyone wants to run it as good if not better than the psx on their pc, and there are alot of people with some messed up pc's that don't read the readme's or just have not found the blah, blah, blah. So the fish then told the nun, "No, a cookie!" But my faviorte FF was 7, I loved how you knew little about Cloud the whole time and how badass Seph was.

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You mean it's popular because everyone plays it.
No, I mean the opposite. I'll try this game and I'll tell if I was wrong.

BTW, I'll try it just beacause it's popular. And it won't get any more popular if I do it or not.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I agree with Maza on this one. I totally hated FF8...it was just boring...the story was okay...ff9 made up for it though and X was really good...much better than I thought it would be...but still my favorite is FF7, I don't play them because they are popular...I play for a great story that was said before is like a book...I even think it's better than movies...just because you connect and care about the people much more...

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Exodus said:
meh, FF4-6 won't change your opinion. they're really nothing to write home about. if any square rpg would do it, its xenogears.
If only square rpg he has ever played was Chrono Cross, then ff4-6 will make dramatic difference if he gets into them.

Damn, how i could forget Xenogears! :thumb: Its great game, but i still consider old FF games just a little bit better.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I believe after ff7 things just went down hill for square, but yeah xenogears is awesome....just so much text and so little save points inbetween them...haha...but yeah CC was very bad (you start off trying to catch lizards don't you??!) and the older square games would make a big impact...if you understand that the graphics are out dated (Honestly, they are still damn impressive...you can tell when a game was graphicly well made for it's time)

S

·
0 Posts
Final Fantasy is overrated; there are other games that have much more problems with ePSXe, but you'll really have to hunt down posts/info about them.
That's not because they're worse games, it's just because they're not called final fantasy, aren't made by squeenix and aren't rpgs.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
vagrant story was pretty good, but it doesn't play like a FF so its not something to be compared. story wise, it doesn't touch xenogears.

as for the old FF being better than xenogears: maybe only if you don't understand the plot in xenogears is FF1-6 better. i just played FF1-6 and Chrono Trigger fairly recently and i was thoroughly unimpressed and i've played a crapload of RPGs, so i know crap. their stories couldn't get possibly less complicated. FF5 was worth mentioning only because the class system is most enjoyable (but FFTactics did a better take on it).

1 - 20 of 80 Posts