Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm a huge fan of Final Fantasy, and my PS2 is broken, so, I want to use emu's to play them. (FFVII,FFIX worked fine however, that was PS1) My computer isn't great, but, it's not HORRIBLE

Pentium 4 3.0 HT
128MB ATI Radeon X300
1GB Ram

Can I play FF X with an emulator?!
(I've looked, but, all google ever shows me is this "The requirements are pretty steep"..........<--------That is not very descriptive.)

Thanks!

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
With the processor you would get a nice speed here and there, but the videocard is way to low at max if you'l reach 26fps i think (maybe in fmv's you'l have a decent speed)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehehe. I was getting hope for a minute. 26 FPS isn't bad. I mean, 30FPS looks fine to me. (Maybe my eyes suck. I know humans can really only see like 60 FPS anyway.) Eh, I'll just have to wait then :/

(I beat Crisis Core on a friend's PSP. And I cried :p I beat FF VII, for the 8th time a few days ago. And I have this AMAZINGLY POWERFUL need to play FF X. I don't know why.)

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Don't compare this to the FPS you get on PC games.
If you would to get 26 FPS that would mean that your game would run at 43% of the full speed (60 FPS for NTSC games).

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Actually when i said 26 FPS i meant as the maximum fps he would get. Probably it will be more arround 10-15 fps considering only that graphics card.
And i didnt said that he's P4 is enough to get full spd in game but in some areas it has a decent fps count (still not full speed and the majority of game its slow with this cpu i know that :p)

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Well if i hit with an overclocked sempron 3000+ (2600Mhz) 48 fps in one scene (was only one scene the rest was 16-40 fps) i think the P4 can handle it a little better :) i used some customized version of epsxe 0.9.5 before the playground was anounced if i remember corectlly

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Actually when i said 26 FPS i meant as the maximum fps he would get. Probably it will be more arround 10-15 fps considering only that graphics card.
And i didnt said that he's P4 is enough to get full spd in game but in some areas it has a decent fps count (still not full speed and the majority of game its slow with this cpu i know that :p)
My comment was directed to Adola since he assumed 26 FPS would be decent.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
My comment was directed to Adola since he assumed 26 FPS would be decent.
Yeah i know it didnt even crossed my mind that it could be adressed to me.
That post was to add some extra info and to clear some confusion that my first post seem'd to have created.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I played a bit of FFX with a P4 3.0 and a 7900GS, and it was okay..nothing spectacular. If I recall, the FPS was usually 20-40. This was back in 0.9.4.
That seems unusually fast. I tried the same PCSX2 version on a Pentium 4 2.8GHz (Northwood) with Hyper-threading and a GeForce 6800GS AGP (modified and effectively running as an Ultra) with 1GB of PC3200 dual channel RAM and the average peak range was ~20FPS (maybe 25FPS here and there), the lower rate was ~10FPS, and the average was ~15-20FPS. Maybe my results were lower than they should had been (or maybe I don't remember them exactly), but those results seem alot higher for basically the same setup (just an extra 200MHz) as far as PCSX2 is concerned.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I noticed that, but Final Fantasy X shouldn't be GPU bound with any 6800 card unless you crank the internal resolution and/or anti-aliasing, which brings me to this point. I don't recall if my plug-in settings, configuration, resolutions, and so on were optimal, but I'm pretty sure I used ZeroGS KOSMOS (SSE2) with a resolution of 640x480 with no anti-aliasing, and the game would not be GPU bound at that point.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
ah i didnt had good performance and sufered from few of glitches with zero gs in 3d games (2d games runed good with it) i prefered & obtained better speed with gabest plugin .

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Well, that does remind of the obvious (that I didn't know back then). ZeroGS KOSMOS is more CPU heavy than GSdx, if I remember right, so perhaps I was getting less than I should have, but "20-40FPS" to me reads as "30FPS, plus or minus some, average, with a low of ~20FPS, and a high of ~40FPS". In other words, the game runs at about half speed. Mine seemed to run at a quarter or a third of the speed, so that seems too high, but I remember the Pentium D could get full speed in this game, but I'm not sure how fast it would need to be, nor am I sure if the dual core option gives exactly a two times increase in framerate.

In any case, he said he doesn't remember the exact numbers, nor do I, so it's probably a good guess to say it's somewhere in the middle. I should perhaps try it on that PC again (it was rebuilt with another motherboard and given to my brother) to see what it gets now.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
I used to have a 3.6GHz P4 with an ATi Radeon x1600 series and I ran FFX at around 30-50 fps in battles. The speed vary in different area or places in the game. But your graphic card is really crappy...next is your processor. So don't expect to get what i used to have cuz i have different pc spec from yours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts