Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered whether squaresoft have given up on the PC. Does anyone know if they're going to release anything more on the PC. After all they could really do some great things with it if they bothered (lets hope no more shoddy ports like ff8.)

S

·
0 Posts
According to what I have heard FF 10 may, read "MAY", be ported to the PC and FF XI as well.:D But, from what has been said, FF 9 definately will not be ported to the PC.:( This would seem to be the case as there has been no mention of FF 9 for the PC and it has been out for a while now. FF 9 will be ported to the PS 2 though, and the PS 2 plays the PSX version as well.:D
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ummm... how the hell the Squaresoft is going (or Eidos) to put all those
speeches and videos on regular cd:s :eek: i would like to see that

Lack of DVD drives on PC is braking the game development on PC...
PS2 games are going to be more longer and greater than PC:s...

:fingers: THIS IS FOR YOU MICROSOFT! DIE! :dead:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Uh... No
PS2 games will most likely follow the same length as the PS1 games, RPGs 30-50 hours.
See, if they go full voice acting, that fills up the DVD-rom quite a bit, add FMVs, textures, music, 3d models, levels, code. Oops, they need more space. Repeat vicous cycle.

As for "DVD-roms breaking PC games",
It's not how much you can store on a disk, it's what you do with it.
Tribes 2, it's all gameplay, it's stored on one CD-rom, and it's a damn good game.
Obviously not hindered by not having DVD-roms, why's that? There aren't any FMVs.

So, incase my point slipped by, a game doesn't need DVD-roms to be a good game, as that extra space just goes to FMVs, voice acting (EVIL), and sometimes CDDA.

·
ItsNotMe
164 Posts
Maybe Squaresoft can come out with both CD version and a DVD version of FF X.
In this way, they will make a lot of people happy when there's some like me asking why isn't there a DVD version of the game since the game comes in so many CDs

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i dunno about that..wouldnt it be costly to produce multiple types of media for 1 game? i remember way back when they used to put out games on disks and cds, but now they dont. yet the vast majority of people still use 3.5" disks for one purpose or another..
dvd media may limit the amount of customers but as previously stated, i also believe in the future, it will probably be commonplace.

S

·
0 Posts
Disturbed, where did you hear that?:confused: Very recently it was announced that FF 9 would not be coming to the PC. When did this change? I would like to know so that I can get my facts straight. Thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've read about 4 dif articles saying that final fantasy 10 and 11 "ARE" going to be ported to the pc
but ff9 isn't gonna be ported at all.......

:shout: :wtf:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Originally posted by SanDRocK

but ff9 isn't gonna be ported at all.......
well, considering the ff7 and ff8 pc releases..maybe having epsxe would prolly be better than having the pc version of ff9 :yawn:

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the info, Disturbed. I'll have to go there and check it out. Unfortunately, I have heard the same thing as SanDRock, that FF 9 wasn't going to be ported. I think it is due to the lousy success of FF 8 for the PC. But IMHO FF 9 is miles ahead of FF 8.:D
Bgnome, I agree w/you. Having FF 9 on ePSXe would be WAY better than having FF 9 on the PC.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
345 Posts
Originally posted by Bgnome
i dunno about that..wouldnt it be costly to produce multiple types of media for 1 game? i remember way back when they used to put out games on disks and cds, but now they dont. yet the vast majority of people still use 3.5" disks for one purpose or another..
dvd media may limit the amount of customers but as previously stated, i also believe in the future, it will probably be commonplace.
the thing with cd's and dvd's is that they are the same size yet the dvd's hold ALOT more. once its common place to have dvd burners, you arent gonna see much use for cd's at all except maybe in the music industy. (id love to see them try to fill up a dvd worth of music when the albums that come out dont even fill up 3/4 of a cd :) ) but there would still be use for the floppy drive since its faster to put small files on floppies rather than a cdrw

S

·
0 Posts
it's squares own fault of course....crappy ports don't sell! Same goes for capcom...that konami/ms MGS port however, is pretty good IMO....

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Originally posted by campaign2016

the thing with cd's and dvd's is that they are the same size yet the dvd's hold ALOT more. once its common place to have dvd burners, you arent gonna see much use for cd's at all except maybe in the music industy.
dvds and dvd burners have been out for many years. even though burners are costly, everything usually goes down in price. but why have burners remained so costly? its because there is no industry standard! there are at least three kinds of burnable dvd media and any given burner will only handle a certain type. that is why you dont really see dvd burners in the general public or them dropping much in price.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd still rather play tha ff games on there actual consoles (ex. psx, psx2) cause i got the pc ported versions of ff7 and 8, for some reason thay look dif (graphics wise) than the psx versions more pixilated or something i dunno, but i'd still rather play them on there console

S

·
0 Posts
that's caused by the sharpness of the pc monitor and also the reason why VGS looks kinda ugly....a tv-out really helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The problem with epsxe is the graphics rather show up unlike on a pc and of course the resolution is supperior and final fantasy 8 on the pc, for all its faults shows that up. I think the reason that it bombed is because they didn't bother to add keyboard or mouse support and decent saving options. I think people got fed up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've tried Final Fantasy VII for pc and for psx in epsxe.
It goes very well on epsxe but it is a little bit slow in pc. I think this is because it can't use Hardware Acceleration or something like that.
I'd like to see a decent port of square's games.
I have ff8 for PC and it's a little faster than ff7!!!!!!!!!
I hope ffX will be better than those games.
Also I've played ff9 and it goes faster than ff7 and ff8 for pc.
I don't own a good system (PII 300) but I think this could be enough to play those games (not ffX).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts