Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just decided we needed someplace to discuss about final fantasy8's gf's and characters. i hope everyone will enjoy this thread... soo....hello! :D :p

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Considering that I hated FF8, I don't want to discuss those shallow characters. And the GFs are quite boring too :p

Samor, where are you to close this thread? :joke:

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well then which final fantasy game do u like the best i hope it aint ff6 no offense but that had bad graphics.....and why do u think that the gf's are quite boring i know that if u summon the gf alot that it gets so boring.................. well thankz 4 replying

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Are you being a graphics whore? Godamn it, FF6 ain't my favorite, but it was a damn sight better than FF8 with it's paper thin predictable characters, annoying junction system and dull plot.
I think you'll find that on this site, FF8 is pretty far from universaly adored.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
Bad graphics? I think not, that was the SNES. It looked very good and still has some nice things to look at. and no offense but I could tell you were born no so long ago. You should really learn to apreshiate things even from the past...and see how we grow from that. Final Fantasy 6 had a rather solid story, which is what I believe counts in a RPG. FF8 on the other hand...didn't impress me...and the GF thing was alright, but still got boring...

·
Registered
42 Posts
HAHA! You guys are right...this kid doesn't know about things from the past...i'm not exactly old...but atleast i can appreciate things from "the day". in fact i even like black and white movies(usually).In fact my favorite movie was made in the 1930's-1940's. Kids these days have no respect for the older things...newer doesn't equal better...FF8 kinda bores me...honestly...actually i'm a fan of ff10

·
band
4,912 Posts
o my goodness >_<

u know somethings weird when a 14 year old calls someone "this kid". makes this soon to be 19 year old feel old o_O

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Sam_Wise said:
well then which final fantasy game do u like the best i hope it aint ff6 no offense but that had bad graphics.....and why do u think that the gf's are quite boring i know that if u summon the gf alot that it gets so boring.................. well thankz 4 replying
Incidentally, FF6 is my favorite. Graphics are not everything. FF6's characters and plot are waaaaay better than FF8's. In fact, IMO FF6 is only rivaled by FF7 (I haven't played FFX or FFX-2, so I can't talk about these two).

And for me the GFs were boring because they were just that dull animation repeated a thousand times. Not worth the trouble to me.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I would like to add something not flaming anything/one. Graphics are something that always get better in one way or another, so it will always get out dated, and maybe look bad in a couble of years (not really look bad, but flaws are more easy to see) where plots and charators will live forever if done right. This is the main reason why graphics shouldn't be number one, but they do count, but I belive they count much more in design then in "wow this has more pixils and polygons..."

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok...like i said...i'm not old..and i know sam -wise...he's not just a kid age wise...but also maturity wise...he doesn't even know the meaning of the word newbie....*sighs*it's sad...and by the way i've been known to have the maturity level of someone ur (as in aided onslaught) age before...thank you...that's how i got my bf...who is older than me ...by 3-4 yrs...why am i defending myself?i don't know why...SHUT UP! NO!!!! i won't this is my body too you know!

oh great not only am i talking to myself...i'm answering too...no ur not...yes i am!grrr...SHUT UP!

·
Registered
42 Posts
by the way...did you visit my profile or something....how did u know my age if not....
and graphics aren't really ever bad...i mean it's better than not even having graphics isn't it? like as in radio...that would be a freaky game....a radio game....wow ...i'm beginning to scare myself...

well anyway kaneda ....i like ur pic....mainly because i love cowboy bebop...it's my favorite anime/show....

·
Heh...
1,905 Posts
Suicide_Jaqie said:
ok...like i said...i'm not old..and i know sam -wise...he's not just a kid age wise...but also maturity wise...he doesn't even know the meaning of the word newbie....*sighs*it's sad...and by the way i've been known to have the maturity level of someone ur (as in aided onslaught) age before...thank you...that's how i got my bf...who is older than me ...by 3-4 yrs...why am i defending myself?i don't know why...SHUT UP! NO!!!! i won't this is my body too you know!

oh great not only am i talking to myself...i'm answering too...no ur not...yes i am!grrr...SHUT UP!
O
M
G

I can't believe a 14 year old girl is scaring me. You are a girl right?

*walks away slowly*

·
Clumsy And Stupid
90 Posts
freaky........

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
WHoaaah, this is getting scary indeed.

Still enjoying the thread though :p

Let's give it try to get it back on topic. FF8 was the first FF I played from the beginning till it's ending credits, while FF7 was the first FF I played, and the second RPG. I really liked FF8 as a game. And I must say the FMV's where the best I had seen and didn't see any better ones within the next year or something. I got the PC version btw. One thing that sucked was the sound in FMV's that stuttered, even though I had better specs than the minimum system requirements.

About the characters: Squall is one of the characters I started to hate most of all the games I played. I so wanted him to have made a move towards Rinoa more early in the game, at fishermans horizon, but instead, he thought he was playing cool, therefor he was 'not interested'.
I must say I did enjoy the first part of FF8 the most. But at time when they started to talk about Adel, and that Ultimecia, I didn't like it that much anymore. And the time-compression is still darn confusing, I still don't understand the final ending video's... But I need to replay the game.
Characters:
Zell: Oh how he suddenly reminds of of Fukuhara san from Shenmue, and no, that's definately NOT a good thing :rolleyes:
At least in shenmue you can beat Fuku every morning :evil:
Selphie: Honestly, I don't like these uber happy kids that much, sometimes plain annoying :p
Irvine: Tries to get the girls, but when it comes down to battle he's just a loser. I didn't hate him, I didn't love him. Nothing spectacular.
Quistis: OMG, the frustrated teacher.... if it was america she'd been sued already for having an affair with a student :p
Laguna: Interesting person, but again, another loser when it comes down to telling his feelings.... That was a letdown. But he did make the story interesting. Especially towards the end.
Kiros and Ward: Just 2 other guys that where needed to fill up some emptiness... They just needed two characters to help laguna out in battle, that's all they do, they don't add anything to the story.
Rinoa: Ahh yes, one of the best characters in the game. To me she made the story interesting. Mainly because I did want to see Squall and her grow towards each other.
Edea: I don't remember much of her anymore.

About the GFs: I liked how you could junction them and how they gave abilities. But I didn't like you had to juction magic. Cause using it would mean a decrease of stats. It would prefer that using it will increase the effectiveness of that magic. It would've been nice to see GF's have effect on stats, but then in a way that as they level up, you will gain stat bonuses and that certain GF's have certain elements or attributes. Like that Ifrit will raiser your effectiveness of fire magic.

Ahh well, FF8 wasn't a bad game, I liked it a lot, but it could've been much better and there are better FF's in the series.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
FF8 was horribly flawed. I'm not sure if it's the fact that monsters leveled faster than you did (thus making leveling pointless). The extremely slow GF animations. Having to BUILD your new weapons. Having battles go so damned slow all together. Juncture system was wacked but perhaps the only thing that was implemented decent. The characters were indeed shallow and uninteresting. You spend the first three discs of the game taking orders (that's really interesting.. You're motivation is really deep for saving the world here). I tried to beat it like six times but i kept leaving the game for a couple months and started over.. so i ended up grabbing my gameshark and letting that give me 99 of every item in the game which incidentally got me the best weapon in the at the beginning.. I also used it to help with some stats :p so i wouldn't need to level at all. I tell you, the game is far better when you have the power to rush through rather than waste your time on petty fights and getting right down to the story. The only other thing that was great on FF8 was tripple triad. That card game is addicting. :p

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yeah the card game was fun :D
Totally forgot about that. Too bad the pc version doesn't have savestates :innocent:

While I did hate the leveling, and most of all drawing magic, I do enjoy a good battle. Alot of the battle I fought where because of drawing magic.
Btw, what do you guys think of that Eden GF?? oO

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I finished FF8 Seta-San style: I cheated. By the time I was on Disc2, the slow battles, slow GF animations and crappy junctioning system finally got in my nerves, and I got that cheating plugin (can’t remember the name) and became invincible. The game got considerably better, even though I was rushing through it hoping for its end.

As for the plot, it was ridiculous. The last villain was also ridiculous; it had no emotional impact whatsoever (kinda like FF9’s last boss, but at least in FF9 you had Kuja). The time-compression stuff was probably taken from some Japanese B-movie from the 60s (something like “Godzilla Against the Time-Compressing-Horror” or something to this effect).

Taking all of this into account, it was the worst FF that I’ve played, except perhaps FF Mystic Quest. I enjoyed FF Origins far more than I enjoyed FF8.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
"and by the way i've been known to have the maturity level of someone ur (as in aided onslaught) age before...thank you...that's how i got my bf...who is older than me ...by 3-4 yrs"

I too have been known to be "more mature", yet it wasn't because I looked it or because I hang out with people 5-6 years older than me. Age defines nothing, and I believe you know this, but you should also know that the age of the poeple around doesn't define anything either...and you should be careful...but I really wish to put this back on track, I do not mean to offend you in anyway, I just feel that I needed to say that. Hate me if you wish and I have no problem with that.

Back to FF8, Cid got it out quite well. I must say this is the most emo game I've ever played...but the music in the game is still some of the most rounded in the games, but the boss theme was a big let down for me...heh...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.