Next Generation Emulation banner

Final Fantasy VIII - So many problems

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  hushypushy 
#1 ·
1. Upon start up, the opening credits go so slow! Then a bar comes across the screen with all sorts of colours in it, like a messed up image.
2. The opening FMV goes so fast! And the music is a bit messed up too
3. The FMV also stops/starts a few times too

Can you tell me the best specs to configure my Pete's OpenGL thing to for FF8? Or should I use a different one? I would post my system specs but it's very fast and has high-quality everything, so it's not my system that's doing it, it's the configuration of ePSXe ;)

#4 ·
mdholland said:
1. Upon start up, the opening credits go so slow! Then a bar comes across the screen with all sorts of colours in it, like a messed up image.

Can you tell me the best specs to configure my Pete's OpenGL thing to for FF8? Or should I use a different one? I would post my system specs but it's very fast and has high-quality everything, so it's not my system that's doing it, it's the configuration of ePSXe ;)

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS WHAT I USE FOR ALL MY GAMES
These special fixes are what I use (NTSC U/C): (This uses Pete's soft)
Odd/Even bit hack
Expand screen width
Ignore black brightness color
Disable chord check

For open GL I suggest:
Ignore black brightness color
Remove BLue glitches
Odd/even bit hack
Expand screen width

for your framerate problem make sure you screen looks like this
"(if pal 50 if ntsc 60(or 59.9) *FL FS DI GF" (there will be more after this, it does not matter)

are you running this off an ISO or CD? if CD make an iso. that should fix your problem :)

#5 ·
is there any particular reason you use so many special game fixes?

i hardly ever use special game fixes...i can list most of em off the top of my head because they are so few:

PC FPS Calculation: MGS, Rage Racer
FF7 fix: FF7
FF9 fix: FF9
expand screen width: SFA3

and uh...thats it. i find no reason to use all those other fixes...

#8 ·
With a Final Fantasy game, run from an ISO if possible. I'm Assuming you just want something that works, so here's what I use for Final Fantasy IX. you can change them later for personal preference. This is just throwing out something to start with.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.76
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X/AGP/SSE

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
- R8G8B8A8
- Filtering: 2
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 64 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 3
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Framebuffer access: 0
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: on

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- 15 bit FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: on
- Screen cushion: off
- Game fixes: on [00000200] (disable, you won't need any fixes)

Just try that, and complain back here with what you dislike about those settings, and someone can tell you what to change.

#15 ·
mdholland said:

Just try to use magiciso to make iso image from CD.
http://www.magiciso.com/

#16 ·
FF8 opening runs slow for me using OGL2. I just have frameskip activated for the first 15 seconds. All FF games have issues with the "Squaresoft" logo.

#17 ·
I'm trying to run FF8 using ePSXe and Pete's D3D Driver 1.76, Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.76, Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.76, and Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7 and none of them work. All of the plugins except for the OpenGL2 driver, run the game at a super fast speed. Also, some show the HP for my characters in battles and some don't. I am using the real NTSC PSX discs to play. I am also trying to use these plugins through a PSX cheater called PSX Emulation Cheater Build 1123. My system specs are:

WinXP SP2
P4 2.1GHZ
128MB Nvidia Ti4200

If anyone can direct me to a plugin that would be appropriate and fix these problems or know how I can slow down the game, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.