Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

Square Enix has produced some of the most memorable rpgs of all time and is the author of one the most successful rpg series in the last two decades, their flag ship series, Final Fantasy. Games in the Final Fantasy series primarily appealed to hardcore rpg fans, but in 1997 Final Fantasy VII was released and changed the audience indefinitely.

About Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core is a prequel to the 1997 hit, Final Fantasy VII. It tells the tale of Zack Fair, a minor character in the original game, and gives more depth to the already deep canon of the Final Fantasy VII Compilation.

Game Play

Probably one of my biggest gripes in the game is the difficulty and its balancing, or rather, lack of. The Japanese version of Crisis Core came with only one difficulty, normal. Now this is fine and dandy and is the standard for your typical rope playing game. The only problem was this NOT being your typical role playing game, Crisis Core is an action rpg. Fights are carried out in real time and enemy attacks can be easily avoided, mostly. Enemy encounters are laughably easy and bosses may as well just commit suicide, the game is really really easy. Of course, this is assuming you have the Japanese version of the game, overseas editions of the game come packed with two difficulties, normal and hard.

Someone made kitty mad........

Wow

I'd have to recommend playing Crisis Core on hard mode, if only because normal mode gives no challenge at all. Now I warn you, choosing hard over normal mode is trade-off and significantly increases the chance of you needing to replace your psp. The only difference between the two difficulties is the stats of the monsters. In hard mode, each monster will have their respective stats tripled, random encounters will be more difficult then normal mode's boss battles, and you'll actually get to see the game over screen, often.

Nostalgic Heaven

You will be able to attain an arsenal of different magic and techniques in the form of materia. Zack will be able to use up to 6 materia at the same time and these materia can be fused to create new materia and powered up using the materia fusion option. This allows for a decent amount of customization to appeal to different types of play styles. Summons make a return in the form of the DMW(Digital Mind Wave System). The DMW is a random wheel that plays out automatically in the top left corner of your screen and gives you random beneficial status effects. It also serves to level up Zack, level up materia, and unleash special attacks corresponding to the character portrait in the reels. Unfortunately, you contribute nothing to the flow of the DMW, and in normal difficulty, it makes the game ridiculously easy.
Another complaint that I must address is the insta-re spawn of hot spot enemies on the map. Lets say you walk into and area, kill the enemies in that area, then go to open a chest on the side of the room. After you open the chest and try to continue your progression of the map you will be forced to fight the enemies in that area again. This can be remedied by wall hugging , but is a serious annoyance and a terrible oversight from a development standpoint.

The Good
*Battles are not drawn out to long, there is a large variety of enemies to bash on, and Zack has many different techniques and spells to suit the taste of the player.

*You can access your map by pressing square which makes it pretty hard to get lost and Zack runs at a well paced speed.

* Boss battles are interesting and require a certain degree of strategy(usually) to beat.

Score: 7.6

Unbalanced game-play, enemies spamming the "Death" spell, and the lack of basic abilities seen in most action rpgs makes the experience somewhat nerve wrecking.

Graphics

If someone were to tell me Crisis Core was one of the best looking games of 2008, I'd call them a damn liar.
If someone were to tell me Crisis Core was one of the best looking games on the psp, I'd agree. The in-game cut scene engine is the best on the system. Animations are fluent and the frame rate stays constant during even the most taxing of instances in the game. The backgrounds, while decent, feel empty and even the city feels like a ghost town. Square reprises their role as best in pre-rendered cut-scenes.

Score: 8.9

I'd love to know who does their hair, so I could get him arrested for creating balloon hazards.

The Story

The story of a rpg is just as crucial as the gameplay, and Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core delivers. Crisis Cores story is based around Zack's adventures while working under Shinra as a SOLDIER. The story introduces some new characters but the cast mostly consist of familiar faces. I can't give any specifics regarding the plot as to avoid spoilers, but lets just say it will make you look at some of the characters in a different light. The voice acting is very well done, but may sound awkward at times because of the conversion from Japanese to English. The whole cast gives a hollywood level performance and Robin Atkin Downes does a particularly wonderful job at portraying Genesis.

Zack ask Angeal of his intentions.......
There are some problems with the story, some characters motives are questionable.

Great story and voice acting with a tear inducing ending.

Score: 9.0

Value

Crisis Core features hundreds of optional missions and a fairly long main quest to keep things interesting. Though some of the missions can get tedious and there is no difference besides stats from normal to hard difficulties. Completing all there is to do in Crisis Core will take most people around 40+ hours in Normal mode, and 50+ hours in hard mode(gameplay added from failing missions)

Score: 8.4

Hes smiling because he knows hes a badass.

Overall

Crisis Core is not a perfect title, that being said, it IS one of the best titles on the psp and fans will love it.

I award Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core an

8.5 out of 10.

"Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return."

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Not bad xblade, not bad at all. I had no idea that this game was realtime, that is quite a plus in my books, although this game has a few design elements that would overly frustrate me (enemies that keep returning in each room for instance) so I would most likely not give this game a shot. But don't give up on writing these things man, you can only get better and better as is evident with this review.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
i dont have a psp. wish i could play this and dissidia.

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
i played the US version of it ages back. completed it and found it pretty good.
even got the US only shinra UMD case.
mako: try to get a psp-1000 or psp-2000. once you have one, enjoy crisis core and dissidia.
Xblade: which remotejoy version did you use to get those results? most versions i tried crashed CC after a couple of minutes of gameplay.

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Not bad xblade, not bad at all. I had no idea that this game was realtime, that is quite a plus in my books, although this game has a few design elements that would overly frustrate me (enemies that keep returning in each room for instance) so I would most likely not give this game a shot. But don't give up on writing these things man, you can only get better and better as is evident with this review.
You can avoid most enemies by wall hugging, so its a love or hate design flaw.

i played the US version of it ages back. completed it and found it pretty good.
even got the US only shinra UMD case.
mako: try to get a psp-1000 or psp-2000. once you have one, enjoy crisis core and dissidia.
:p So your recommending THAT route :p. Newer 2000 models are CFW proof without the aid of chickhen(provided you have a compatible FW).

So the 1000-1001 is the safest bet.

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
why not :D allows you to copy your games to a memorystick from your UMD for faster loading times and convenience from not having to carry round your UMD's. my 8gb one hasn't disappointed at all in that respect, i will admit.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I missed this review during my absence, nicely written and with some very nice screenshots that give a good indication. I played this game and I enjoyed it highly. One aspect you overlooked is music, unfortunately. Music is one of the strong points in this game, hell the epic ending of the game almost brought me to tears because of it. The Cissney (sp?) theme is beautiful as well, and I just with they did a bit more with her character. She's cute and has a bit of this Selphie / Yuffie attitude, but in a much less annoying way. Glad to see they can move away from exaggerated stereotypes with her. :)

I found the story of the game vague and repetitive, just like the enemies. How many genesis clones can you fight in a game? While it's a good attempt at points it just feels like I'm doing it without a purpose. Also because Genesis wasn't mentioned at all in the original, it kinda cuts loose the ties with FF7. I think I was missing some references to that story, it just didn't connect that well, except for the ending. The ending is too epic for words, and THE reason to pick up this game if you have any affinity with the original FF7. Even if you'd find the story and the rest of the game unpleasant, the ending will make up for it more than enough, take my word for it :)

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Yeah this game was very good.

The battle system was not something I really enjoyed, it was like gambling, didn't know when I would go up a level.

Nice review Xblade, next time put some battle shots.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
I haven't played XII yet.

And I was looking for the ultimate weapons of chars in FFX, but got a little bored a haven't got all of them yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.